Sorry boys, this question is for the ladies!!!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lets all be supportive and think happy thoughts. Then jump over rainbows and eat Lucky Charms.

But seriously, calm the F down and be nice or get off MFP.

you must be new here.

and no.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Calm down people.

Why is her thread even have negitive remarks on it? Arent we all suppose to be supportive? Maybe her problem is different than yours, doesnt mean it doesnt exsist.

Just becuase one women doesnt have problems with TOM, doesnt mean she should either.

Lets all be supportive and think happy thoughts. Then jump over rainbows and eat Lucky Charms.

oh+noo.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
    "Do as I say! Get down on the ground! Stop or I'll shoot!"
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Calm down people.

Why is her thread even have negitive remarks on it? Arent we all suppose to be supportive? Maybe her problem is different than yours, doesnt mean it doesnt exsist.

Just becuase one women doesnt have problems with TOM, doesnt mean she should either.

happy thoughts. chicks with DD's doing the ALS icebucket challenge on trampolines
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love how many men can't resist reading this thread just because it says, no men... LOL
    So you're saying the women here always exercise restraint and decline to comment in 'guys only' threads?

Note also the OP's distinction between 'boys' (clearly indicating immaturity) and 'ladies' (clearly indicating both maturity and class).
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I love how many men can't resist reading this thread just because it says, no men... LOL
    So you're saying the women here always exercise restraint and decline to comment in 'guys only' threads?

Note also the OP's distinction between 'boys' (clearly indicating immaturity) and 'ladies' (clearly indicating both maturity and class).

UMP-BOOM-GIF_zpsa0750ade.gif
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Holy crap people, I asked women because sorry men you don't have boobs that get in the way or a Tom which is a pain in the *kitten*. I've already had my male friends give me their opinion so I was looking for the female since none of my female friends have done it. Didn't know the whole site was going to jump down my throat about it

Yeah. You probably should have made that clear in the OP.
    There is also getting past the mental apprehension of having a barbell so close to that area of your body.

It also doesn't mean that it isn't a legitimate question, which was the point I was making.

that's it- that is the only issue right there- a barbell- and apprehension- and I suspect is has significantly more to do with that in general than boobs themselves- which is a completely different subject all together- and could have been phrased as such.

If you want to do the thing- go do the thing. Figure out how to make it work- if you hate it- you hate it. so what.

^^ This ^^

I have DDs and, they rarely get in the way when lifting because I'm spacialy aware. I've had them for nearly 30 years so, it's not really a big deal to work around them when I need to. Sometimes you just have to go a little slower. Just try it. You may love it. You may not.
  • ghirhihim
    Options
    Back to the original topic...

I just started and it has been great!!

I went from literally laying on the couch 2 months ago to being able to run 2 miles no problem and it is a really good all around workout.

The best part (for me) has been the community! Awesome people who seem to really care about making everyone else be in as much pain as them. :P

I did have to go gym shopping (there are quite a few crossfits near me) to find something more lady-friendly (one gym was clearly designed around the male upper body... as was exemplified by the members at the gym...) but a lot of the gyms I tried were extremely lady friendly (mine does male and female suggested target weights for lifting, for example)

Honestly I looked at the people who had been at the gym for years and asked myself if that was the way I wanted my muscles to be. My butt gets kicked everyday regardless of whether or not we do butt kicks!
  • ghirhihim
    Options
    And I totally see why you would want to get other women's opinions... some workout programs are clearly designed around the places and ways that men gain muscle. IMO all opinions are useful but I would be most likely to be influenced by opinions of those who started in similar circumstances to myself (age, weight height and yes, sex.)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    And I totally see why you would want to get other women's opinions... some workout programs are clearly designed around the places and ways that men gain muscle. IMO all opinions are useful but I would be most likely to be influenced by opinions of those who started in similar circumstances to myself (age, weight height and yes, sex.)

that's not how lifting, gaining, "toning" works.

there are no programs for "men" that aren't not acceptable for women. There are only GOOD programs- and BAD programs.

They feed that trash to women through magazines and other outlets for whatever reason- it's exhausting.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

there are no programs for "men" that aren't not acceptable for women. There are only GOOD programs- and BAD programs.

They feed that trash to women through magazines and other outlets for whatever reason- it's exhausting.

^So much this! (we do agree more often then not!)

ghirhihim - I do the same exact workout as the men and I love it. The only thing I tailor specific to me is the weight I'm lifting, the height of the box I'm jumping and the number of calories I can eat.
  • JoRocka
    Options

^So much this! (we do agree more often then not!)

ghirhihim - I do the same exact workout as the men and I love it. The only thing I tailor specific to me is the weight I'm lifting, the height of the box I'm jumping and the number of calories I can eat.

troof... on both accounts ;)
  • ghirhihim
    Options

This is just silly.

To exemplify my point I spent just a moment over at the Smithsonian website on a single exercise (I chose pull-ups because my boyfriend [of slightly higher laziness] can do them)

"a combination of women’s low levels of testosterone, higher body fat percentage and less ease at building muscle means that women fare worse than men at performing pull-ups."

"Is it usually harder for a woman to do a pullup than it is for a man, due to biological differences in muscle mass and upper body strength and body fat percentages? Yes. It is generally harder for women to do pullups." - The Smithsonian + 2 minutes of internet.

I am not saying women can not get to the same fitness level or muscle building as men, but it is totally valid to seek info about the experiences of other women in the context of health and fitness.

All this aside, I think this argument is not in the spirit of the original post and I think it is disrespectful to continue it here.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    >_<

Jeebus, wtf did I just read? Pullups? lulz.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    1.) I think the OP doesn't understand that there is little difference in training- so I think it's a valid subject to discuss

2.) So what. Men have a hard time bearing children- but if they did- the process would be the same.

If you did a pull up program it wouldn't be a pull up program for women.

It would just be a pull up program.

And as far as lower testosterone- and have a harder time building muscle- that's EXACTLY why there are no women's vs men's programs. (And by that I mean real programs- not some stupid 5 exercises to a better you in Cosmo "program)

It's a training program. The results will be different based on how you are eating- how long you're training and how much extra stuff you're taking (or not) but the program is designed to train muscles, make them bigger- sculpt them whatever the goal is.

Period- it is irrelevant of your gender.

You're muscles do these things
    > they grow
    > they get smaller
    > or they get stronger

Gender means nothing to that process.

PS- I can do 10+ pull ups and over 50 in a working set when I chose to do so.
    Women tend to suck at doing pull ups because they don't train for them and they don't have he muscle activation awareness- but power to weight ratio we are a great fit for doing pull ups because we tend to be smaller. smaller body = less weight to pull
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Whether a male or female, exercise doesn't discriminate against either gender. Where people fail is in commitment, discipline, lack of execution and consumption of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ghirhihim
    Options
    1.) I think the OP doesn't understand that there is little difference in training- so I think it's a valid subject to discuss

2.) So what. Men have a hard time bearing children- but if they did- the process would be the same.

If you did a pull up program it wouldn't be a pull up program for women.

It would just be a pull up program.

And as far as lower testosterone- and have a harder time building muscle- that's EXACTLY why there are no women's vs men's programs. (And by that I mean real programs- not some stupid 5 exercises to a better you in Cosmo "program)

It's a training program. The results will be different based on how you are eating- how long you're training and how much extra stuff you're taking (or not) but the program is designed to train muscles, make them bigger- sculpt them whatever the goal is.

Period- it is irrelevant of your gender.

You're muscles do these things
    > they grow
    > they get smaller
    > or they get stronger

Gender means nothing to that process.

PS- I can do 10+ pull ups and over 50 in a working set when I chose to do so.
    Women tend to suck at doing pull ups because they don't train for them and they don't have he muscle activation awareness- but power to weight ratio we are a great fit for doing pull ups because we tend to be smaller. smaller body = less weight to pull

Yes, if you take a man and a woman of exactly the same muscle mass and in the same concentrations in the same places, I would tend to agree with you, but I think averages are completely valid.

Men's pelvic bones are not structured for childbirth but I get your sentiment.

Congrats on your pull-up capabilities, I am working my butt off to try and catch up ;P
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you'll get there- training consistency and muscle activation are the two big ones- for some odd reason- pull ups and using those back muscles for women is just insanely difficult- but you'll get it sorted out- just keep on keeping on- I promise- it'll happen.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    Holy crap people, I asked women because sorry men you don't have boobs that get in the way or a Tom which is a pain in the *kitten*. I've already had my male friends give me their opinion so I was looking for the female since none of my female friends have done it. Didn't know the whole site was going to jump down my throat about it

if your TOM is a pain in the *kitten* then your bleeding from the wrong place...

baw ha ha ha ha- I may have snorted my coffee.

I might have snorted my coffee, if I didn't just knock it off my table, LOL!!
  • ghirhihim
    Options
    One day I actually forgot my sports bra (I am a DDD/E for the record...) and I could still do a majority of the workout. I just rowed instead of running.

Point being, my gym is great and +1 for crossfit. I have made the yearly commitment XD