Moderation DOES NOT WORK for me

Options

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I mean, hell, some product brands are absolutely blatant and explicit about this intention for their product design. Case in point: Lays potato chips' motto: "Betcha can't eat just one!" The product was designed to be uncontrollably consumed.

Wait...are you saying that these companies, whose purpose is to produce food for a profit, actually try to make their products taste good?

It's a crazy world.

Drug manufacturers have done their best to increase the efficacy of pain killers and at one time speedy appetite suppressants. We know why and we agree on many drugs having great power to heal and/or make life better, but we also know that coca is far less addictive than the concentrated, processed form known as cocaine. So your point is fine, but doesn't invalidate maillemaker's point in the least.

Can you please tell me what's in potato chips (or any legal food, for that matter) that is comparable to cocaine?

I'm not one of the "you need to eat junk food" crowd, but this is a bit over the top.

You realize that cocaine used to be in Coca-Cola, right? That's where the name is from.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I mean, hell, some product brands are absolutely blatant and explicit about this intention for their product design. Case in point: Lays potato chips' motto: "Betcha can't eat just one!" The product was designed to be uncontrollably consumed.

Wait...are you saying that these companies, whose purpose is to produce food for a profit, actually try to make their products taste good?

It's a crazy world.

Drug manufacturers have done their best to increase the efficacy of pain killers and at one time speedy appetite suppressants. We know why and we agree on many drugs having great power to heal and/or make life better, but we also know that coca is far less addictive than the concentrated, processed form known as cocaine. So your point is fine, but doesn't invalidate maillemaker's point in the least.

Can you please tell me what's in potato chips (or any legal food, for that matter) that is comparable to cocaine?

I'm not one of the "you need to eat junk food" crowd, but this is a bit over the top.

Only because you are either deliberately misunderstanding the nature and obvious extent of my analogy or pretending to.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep it really honest with you. And feel free to report me if you'd like since I know that's your thing.

Huh? I don't think I've ever reported a post ever.
    I am always happy to debate anyone here, but you, with your constant addiction stuff, your having all the answers while at the same time quitting, starting, quitting, starting..........it's just not worth it. Arguments are cute but if you can't even apply the slightest bit to yourself your argument is moot.

Well you are going to have a very limited group of people to talk to, I'm afraid. Most people are like me, they diet, lose weight, then put it back on again when their willpower gives out. I lost 30 pounds last year, and gained it back +2.

This is the way it goes for 80-97% of people who try to lose weight.

We have the answers, just not the willpower.
  • Adeedia
    Adeedia Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't do moderation either so I have to do minimal carb and sugar foods then there are no decisions. So that is protein and vegetables. I have 1 cheat day a week where I eat whatever I want. On the cheat day because I love baked goods I make my own because I have told myself it is healthier. The longer I do this the less hungrier I feel and I also notice taste and smell are more sensitive. Celery tastes quite sweet and pleasant. I am aware that many think this is unhealthy but it is the opposite for me as I no longer eat processed foods and I get loads of fresh vegetables.

To summarise for me I have to take away the choice, the decision of carbs and or sugar or not.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

No one has claimed that there is any ingredient in potato chips that is comparable to cocaine.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options

No one has claimed that there is any ingredient in potato chips that is comparable to cocaine.

Well, if you wouldn't have taken my comment out of context, it would've been quite clear why I refuted that implication.

But no matter.

When I was a child, my grandfather made homemade potato chips, liberally salted. They weren't as crispy as I would've liked, but I ate many, many of them.

What about a cake made from "scratch" (if that's "natural" enough for you). Would most individuals want less of it, as opposed to the mass-produced variety?

There doesn't need to be a diabolical reason people like fatty, sugary, salty, etc. foods.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im new to this website. As you can tell from the title I don't think moderation works for me. I tried to keep moderation with unhealthy foods but I just dont like eating only 1. I have 2 problems. First I am a college student so I am still living with my parents, I would throw the food out but sadly im not the only one living here. Also I have to admit even if I did throw out the food I would order pizza hut then. I love food too much. How can I quit the junk food once and for all?

I find taking a route to class that has ZERO restaurants on it helped me avoid temptations after a while it got out of my system and I just didnt care about it anymore. Sadly now every route to class has one now. Also try throwing out any and all ads youve got if you can block the sites.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You do realize that what you seem to be talking about is basically the same thing I'm recommending. I'm not saying eat cake every day. I'm saying that making your diet plan about NEVER eating cake (and everything with added sugar and pizza and pasta and "processed foods" and so on) rather than about eating things you like to eat that happen to fit easily into the plan, you are intentionally putting all your attention on the deprivation. Maybe we are very different, but I frequently don't eat cake, and yet I never start my day by deciding "no cake today!" That just seems weird and unnecessary.

So re your claim that you don't feel cake deprived -- of course not. But I think if you start with the idea that you are going to eat X,Y, and Z, and not whatever does not fit into your plan, and then you happen upon cake at lunch (someone's birthday, you know), it's probably not so hard to just think about it and decide that it doesn't fit in your plan.

And if instead you decide that it fits okay if you give up something else for one day and have a small piece, you aren't breaking any promises to yourself or falling off the wagon or whatever, which for some people might cause them to decide that they've just proven they can't do it and eat badly for the rest of the day or week.

Like I said before, I haven't given up anything (including cake) as part of this effort to lose weight, but the reality is that since I started early this year I've had cake maybe once (a work thing), pie never (I'm the one who usually makes it at Easter and didn't, I'm sure I'll have some on Thanksgiving), Chicago-style pizza never, so on. And I haven't missed any of these things, because I don't have some silly idea that each opportunity to have them might be my last ever and they aren't on some forbidden list. Instead, the opportunity appears, I think if it fits into my plan that day, typically it doesn't, and there's no hardship because when it does I might have some.

While I might be childish in thinking more about something that's offered if I feel like I have to say no (because I gave up cake) vs. just don't have the room for it today, I seriously doubt that someone who claims she CAN'T do moderation, that she has no control at all over cake, is going to find just giving it up solves her problems.

But don't ask me, ask the OP who started this. As I recall she said that she can't do elimination either, since her parents don't cooperate by eliminating the foods from their diets also.

And that, really, is the point. I'm in favor of reducing temptation by not constantly going to pizza places if pizza is your favorite food and you want to cut down some. Ideally this will be coupled with focusing on other favorite foods that do fit well into your plan more often. But if your strategy is to eliminate and avoid pizza and you decide you can't resist that temptation but you also live and work with people who eat it (as most of us do), you are setting yourself up for failure. I get offered sweets and pizza and other high calorie foods all the time. If my whole thing was that I had to avoid it (not just not eat it or eat it only when the taste is really worth it to me and it fits in my calories), I couldn't succeed. So part of any strategy must be to deal with that.

What I was trying to say is that not everyone feels deprived when they say I'm not going to eat cake for the next X months. I don't really like to use myself as an example because I'm nothing special and I don't want to come across as pushing what works for me on other people, but by setting my carb macro where it is I've all but said no cake, no donuts, and so on for the last ~10 months. I'm exposed to donuts and pastries probably once every other week due to people bringing them into the office and honestly it doesn't bother me. Today it was various sweets (the peanut butter fudge topped with chocolate looked particularly good) and a birthday cake. It's almost laughable how many sweets our office brings in - we've even had a catered Ben and Jerry's waffle cone bar in an office of all of 15 people. So here I sit, having told myself I am not going to eat cake, ice cream, and the like for as long as I continue this diet, and yet I really don't feel deprived or miserable, even when everyone around me eating those foods. Rather, I sang happy birthday with them, carried on a conversation, sipped my tea, and then went back to work.

So my point is, not everyone reacts the same way to telling themselves "you can't have X." That said, I'd bet that a lot of people do react that way, probably even a majority, and that's why I think restrictive diets are a bad choice for many/most people. But they do have their place and they are a great tool for some people. The biggest problem I see is people either believe their choice of restrictive diet is the solution to all people's problems and/or superior to just an ordinary caloric deficit, or on the other end of the spectrum people believe that anyone trying any sort of restrictive diet is necessarily miserable and destined for failure. It's not so black and white, and people need to figure out what works best for them.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Although eventually I am going to try vegan dark chocolate. For all I know, that will give me loads of energy. But I want someone to split the bar with. I know it will be more convenient for me if it's simply not in the house after I've had my portion for the day.

The trash can works fabulously for this. I actually just used it - got back home, saw the muffin I forgot this morning. It looked delicious so I had a bite. Once I had the taste I wanted with the "Mmm that's good" in the trash the rest went. I hate to waste good money in this manner, but a lot of the items involved simply do not cost that much and I can afford to toss them right out.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I've also had luck eating 10-15 Peanut M&M's, junior mints, mike& ikes (6 cal per candy instead of the 10 most are).

This is the kind of "moderation" that I cannot fathom.

To me, the willpower required to open a bag of M&Ms, pluck out only 10-15 of them, and then not eat the rest is far, far greater than the willpower required to not eat any.

I can't actually do this, but I do limit my peanut m&m intake to whenever they have them at the gym. I grab like two or three each time I walk by the gorgeously colorful bowl of deliciousness and I'm usually under 10 or so by the end of my visit.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    actually, never mind. it doesn't matter
  • ghurl7
    ghurl7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    well, if moderation is not for you --- then you know exactly what your choices are .... bad for your health -- or -- good for your health ... you decide ultimately .... and since "moderation" does not work for you .... you got nothing in-between as your choice ....
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If anyone reading this thread thinks they might have a problem with compulsive overeating (whether you call it an addiction, or a compulsion or whatever), I highly recommend checking out the OA "Big Book" which might help you understand a bit more about why you do what you do, offer up encouragement with a lot of testimonials, and give you some tools (steps) to work your way through your issues to come out on the other side managing the bingeing, etc.

This is a free version of it online. http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

Just change the words "alcohol" and "alcoholic" to "food" and "compulsive overeater" and it'll make sense.

For those who don't understand food addiction/compulsion, feel free to read it as well so you can gain more knowledge about the issue.

Blessings.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.

That's not pizza.
    By YOUR definition. Fortunately. I don't live by your goofy definitions. :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

And if I'm going to have pizza, as a foodie it's going to be a damned good probably artisan pizza. No Pizza Hut for me. But it's going to be on a whole wheat crust (or cauliflower if I get the hankering, which happens), and have lots of veggies.

That's not pizza.
    By YOUR definition. Fortunately. I don't live by your definitions. :laugh:

Not by anyone with taste buds. But hey, you're fine and healthy and sane, right?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That's not pizza.

Not by anyone with taste buds. But hey, you're fine and healthy and sane, right?
    You've never tasted my pizza, silly boy.

I love that this is in reply to me saying pizza isn't PIZZA HUT. What a bizarre forum this is!!! when PIZZA HUT is the benchmark for pizza??!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

That's not pizza.

I love that this is in reply to me saying pizza isn't PIZZA HUT. What a bizarre forum this is!!! when PIZZA HUT is the benchmark for pizza??!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Neither PIzza Hut nor what you are eating are pizza. Benchmark? Perhaps a good Neapolitan is the benchmark.

I like all the laughs - proves you're sane.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That's not pizza.

Neither PIzza Hut nor what you are eating are pizza. Benchmark? Perhaps a good Neapolitan is the benchmark.

I like all the laughs - proves you're sane.
    wow, artisan pizzas on whole grain crust aren't pizza? oh, I get it. You're freaking on the parenthetical? That's your own damage there bud. But yes, they're good when I make them.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options

That's not pizza.

I haven't been on MFP for long, but I don't think I will ever understand people who get upset at those who enjoy eating vegetables, haha. It seems to really and truly upset some people. And I agree, Pizza Hut as a benchmark is bizarre. I think the country of Italy is crying right now. I'm in New York, and I feel all the nyc pizzerias crying right now. Jeez. I have to laugh. But, I mean, if someone likes Pizza Hut, cool.

...I'll go with handmade crust with lots of veggies because it's fun to make and veggies taste awesome.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

That's not pizza.

Well, I don't know about that. Where I live, the farm to table movement is pretty big and there are a lot of super tasty artisan pizzas, with whole wheat crusts and gluten free crusts options. I've never tried the cauliflower version before, but I might look into that. The crust is just a delivery vehicle for the sauce, cheese and toppings for the most part. Don't get me wrong, a stuffed deep dish can be delicious too (oooh, Zachary's...) but to say that artisan pizzas don't have there place in the pizza pantheon is just plain crazy.