Dumb things heard at the gym

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Well I was checking out a new gym and when I said that to the front desk guy (who obviously workout his arms anyway since he didn't come around so I couldn't see his legs) his first response was...

Cardio equipment is upstairs....

Response...yah no I don't do cardio...

Question How many cages and racks do you have?

Response...smith machine is in the corner...

I am not a member of that gym

I have a similar story.

I was at a PF (I was touring every gym in my new area and not all PFs are bad so whatever)
    Dude told me that they "don't have the machine you do deadlifts with... the Wesson machine"
    I stared at him and said "You mean the smith machine?"
    He said "yeah! That! I don't know where Wesson came from..."
    Me: "Uh, the gun company?"

I did end up joining (not that day though) because 10$/mo, 24/7, and treadmills.
    I've got a cage in my apartment, not enough room for a treadmill
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.

did you tell him punching him in the face repeatedly would be a good cardio exercise you both could do?

Wish I would have thought of that, I just ignored him and continued on with my work out. He got kicked out of the gym a few days later because myself and several females reported him for being so creepy. So it all worked out in the end.

So basically he wasn't attractive.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack. I have seen this twice in the past 10 days.

This should be a stoning offense.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.

did you tell him punching him in the face repeatedly would be a good cardio exercise you both could do?

Wish I would have thought of that, I just ignored him and continued on with my work out. He got kicked out of the gym a few days later because myself and several females reported him for being so creepy. So it all worked out in the end.

basically.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options

yeah... this is why i joined planet fitness. nobody there is going to hit on me. :laugh:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "whipping" them forward LOL,but "cheater curls" are a legitimate exercise.It's the only exercise I know of where cheating is acceptable.I do it to increase my curl weight,just "slightly" using my body to assist.

Cheat reps (partial reps) actually adds more stress to the muscle. It tears the muscle just a little bit more. Do I need to say what happens next?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah... this is why i joined planet fitness. nobody there is going to hit on me. :laugh:

I will!!!!
    Cheat reps (partial reps) actually adds more stress to the muscle. It tears the muscle just a little bit more. Do I need to say what happens next?
    cheater pull ups that are half repped- not full lock out are apparently one of the best things you can do for your biceps.

shrug- I'll do it- don't care what anyone thinks if it's getting the job done!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Sure.

Tell us a story.
  • BradfordBear801
    Options
    I don't know about "whipping" them forward LOL,but "cheater curls" are a legitimate exercise.It's the only exercise I know of where cheating is acceptable.I do it to increase my curl weight,just "slightly" using my body to assist.

Yes, partial reps help, but I cannot convey through text how much they were doing. 'Whipping' was an understatement, it was a body wave, and I am not disputing the magic of 'partial reps'
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Sure.

Tell us a story.

this one time- at band camp...

when I was squatting....
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Well I was checking out a new gym and when I said that to the front desk guy (who obviously workout his arms anyway since he didn't come around so I couldn't see his legs) his first response was...

Cardio equipment is upstairs....

Response...yah no I don't do cardio...

Question How many cages and racks do you have?

Response...smith machine is in the corner...

I am not a member of that gym

Can we please be friends? this made my day. LOL

Ditto. I left my old gym because they had two squat racks, and the bros were always in it doing curls and would look at you like you were crazy. I can't believe I tolerated it as long as I did.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options

I am usually so introverted at the gym, and so not used to talking to people at the gym, that if someone said that to me, it would have gone completely over my head and I would have asked with all sincerity, "Oh, what workout is that?" and would have figured it out later, after I left the gym.
  • lauiechan
    lauiechan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There was this older lady telling her adult daughter about calories, saying that there's 1 calorie for ever 4 calories in a carbohydrate. I know what she was trying to say, but it was painful to listen to. She kept saying it over and over, like a drunk man tries to explain things, and even going so far as to say you're not really eating all the calories that you think you're eating because of it, and so carbohydrates are somehow better. I was very confused. I may even be explaining what she said incorrectly because I was so confused. I know there's 4 calories in a GRAM of carbohydrates. I hope that's what she was trying to say, but it's like she misunderstood the whole thing, and was trying to explain her misunderstanding to someone else like it made sense. It was awful.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yes, partial reps help, but I cannot convey through text how much they were doing. 'Whipping' was an understatement, it was a body wave, and I am not disputing the magic of 'partial reps'

Yes if he is rocking back and forth like he thrusting air then yeah those are some major cheat curls LOL.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier around 220 pounds and I had already lost 140 pounds by then I went into a new gym and the owner was showing me around and pointed to this very fit lady going super hard on an elliptical machine and he said to me "one day you will be able to workout like that" so THAT day I worked out way harder than that girl was going, goes to prove that you cannot judge a book by its cover!
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just the usual womens locker room banter: I have to be really careful with weights and stuff cause I dont want to get bulky. I just want to tone.

Meanwhile Ive PRd in teh squat rack.

Also people putting on makeup before a workout.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Don't be a hater.

It doesn't impact you at all.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Don't be a hater.

It doesn't impact you at all.

None of these things impact us. its just things we've seen or heard. sorry if i hit a nerve there.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just the usual womens locker room banter: I have to be really careful with weights and stuff cause I dont want to get bulky. I just want to tone.

Meanwhile Ive PRd in teh squat rack.

I wear make up to the gym AND when I run. :flowerforyou: Don't judge - some of us come directly from work (where we HAVE to look presentable).
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

basically.

Being unattractive doesn't make you creepy. Saying rude comments, following people to their cars and trying to grab females in the gym makes you a creepy d-bag. But what I find creepy and what you find creepy could be totally different.