Sure.

Tell us a story.

this one time- at band camp...

when I was squatting....

Heart rate elevated.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Just the usual womens locker room banter: I have to be really careful with weights and stuff cause I dont want to get bulky. I just want to tone.

Meanwhile Ive PRd in teh squat rack.

Also people putting on makeup before a workout.

I wear make up to the gym AND when I run. :flowerforyou: Don't judge - some of us come directly from work (where we HAVE to look presentable).

That's different. But actually applying makeup in the locker room at the gym before working out? Shameful and stupid.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Just the usual womens locker room banter: I have to be really careful with weights and stuff cause I dont want to get bulky. I just want to tone.

I wear make up to the gym AND when I run. :flowerforyou: Don't judge - some of us come directly from work (where we HAVE to look presentable).

Coming from wokr is one thing. Putting on eyeshaddow and mascara in the gym locker room adn then going to workout seem slightly superfluous in my opinion.
  • cranshinibon
    cranshinibon Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    "we got this, we lift bro, we lift bro" - the Yin Yang Twins

"Can you spot me?" - Guy squatting 350 asking a woman much smaller (not saying she couldn't lift it, but come on, we know what he's doing lol)

"You don't have to lift the weight all the way up, just lift it up as far as you can, use your back if you need to"

**facepalm**
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

That's different. But actually applying makeup in the locker room at the gym before working out? Shameful and stupid.

Topic of this post "Dumb things heard at the gym".

Just an FYI.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Don't be a hater.

It doesn't impact you at all.

None of these things impact us. its just things we've seen or heard. sorry if i hit a nerve there.
    true story. Not nerved it's literally just a personal pet peeve-

less about how you pointed it out and more so a pet peeve with the people who cry about being sweaty with their raggedy pony tail and being a sweaty mess and they spend 3 paragraphs ranting about the girl who looks cute and has make up one. Like get over it- she has figured out how to do it and it matters to her- not so much to you - so shove off or step your own game up. Don't just cry about it- fix it or move on.

I pretty much don't go anywhere without make up- even the gym.

(Edit the amount of make up varies- and what seems to be the "acceptable" social amount but if I'm going from my house to the dance studio/gym- odds are I have mascara/eyeliner and a base coat of eye-shadow- I wear BB cream daily regardless for sun protection- but I wouldn't be rocking full face make up unless I was coming from somewhere.)

and it's tough titties to the person who thinks it bothers them.
  • McCluskey1128
    McCluskey1128 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

EW. Judge people, much? Not everyone doesn't care what they look like. And this is coming from a girl who never wears make up.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    oh goodness there are soo many! Im in the Air Force so i get all sorts of people at the gym on base...

1: A guy who grunts just to grunt so the entire gym knows how "hard" he is working..
    2: Girl in the locker room put on lotion, makeup and put a flower in her hair before going out for her workout..
    3: A girl says to her friends, i didn't do that portion of the workout because i didn't want to get too sweaty...

:noway:

just to name a few... had me rolling :laugh:
  • AdaVanderlyle
    AdaVanderlyle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome. Please continue.

2py4wuc.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    she could have spotted that- usually for those you just need an elbow support- not a flagrant lift.

I've spotted people benching 2 or 3 plates- and no way I can curl or lift that outside of DL's... but I can lift what they need to help them get it back on the bar.

You don't need to be able to do perform the lift yourself- just take off that 5 pounds that's killing the lift to help them finish.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I heard a hair dryer running and the guy in the locker room was pointing it at his sack? True story, no h*mo.
  • Jpeezy85ny
    Options
    "are you done yet"

now that is just stupid to ask someone who is still using machinery lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1: A guy who grunts just to grunt so the entire gym knows how "hard" he is working..

I was doing a drop set yesterday that had me worrying afterwards if I'm turning into someone like that.

Back squats peaked up at 245 for 5, dropped 100 off, and then did 50 reps. Everything after rep 10 was *grunt* *grunt* *huff huff* *grunt* *grunt*
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

EW. Judge people, much? Not everyone doesn't care what they look like. And this is coming from a girl who never wears make up.

This entire thread is one big judgmental party...get a clue.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Topic of this post "Dumb things heard at the gym".

Just an FYI.

...because no one has ever strayed from the original topic ever...
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    "Can you spot me?" - Guy squatting 350 asking a woman much smaller (not saying she couldn't lift it, but come on, we know what he's doing lol)

Ha, you know I've seen something like this too. Guy was about to do seated oh presses with 100lbs dumbells and he asked this girl who, though pretty fit, obviously wouldn't of been much help. She apparently felt the same way and actually went off to find someone to spot the guy. Talk about helpful!

EDIT: Side note, I'll just leave this right here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiYC1ebkwc

Spotting seated DB OHP is as easy as putting your hands just under their elbows to help out. Same for bench. I spot a 200 lb + bench with 2 fingers. It's just a little boost, doesn't require me to lift the same weight they do.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Ha, you know I've seen something like this too. Guy was about to do seated oh presses with 100lbs dumbells and he asked this girl who, though pretty fit, obviously wouldn't of been much help. She apparently felt the same way and actually went off to find someone to spot the guy. Talk about helpful!

EDIT: Side note, I'll just leave this right here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiYC1ebkwc

Spotting seated DB OHP is as easy as putting your hands just under their elbows to help out. Same for bench. I spot a 200 lb + bench with 2 fingers. It's just a little boost, doesn't require me to lift the same weight they do.

You will actually be surprise to see how a lot of people do not spot correctly. So me and my friend spot by if the weight is falling in the wrong direction. Other than that do not touch the bar please and thank you.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Not heard, but saw: The other day my girl saw a ~70 year old man with a Harbinger weight belt (the kind with the chain for dips) wrapped around his head like a headband with a 10 lb plate at the end of the chain. He was bending forward at the waist and then popping back up with the weight dangling down between his legs.

was it actually a belt? Because they do make harnesses for neck/trap work.

I think it's absolutely stupid- but one of the guys at my gym has one. I think it's so weird.

have them at rogue, along with everything else lol
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I habitually go to the gym straight from work, so I show up in my professional duds. But putting it on before? Nah. But, for those who do? Whatever makes you feel more comfortable.

Maybe it's war paint.