Dumb things heard at the gym

Options

Replies

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well as I work out in my basement, , the only things I have heard while working out are " can you answer the phone, I'm in the middle of a game" and "if you're not busy can you make me a grilled cheese sandwich". Grrrrrrr.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Bump. Read for later entertainment
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    As far as the whole makeup thing goes, I worked with a girl who would put on full makeup before going to PT. It wasn't so much a vanity thing for her, but a self-esteem issue and dealing with compulsively over plucking her eyebrows. Everyone has their reasons for wearing makeup to the gym.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A guy once asked me if I was using the leg curl machine, while I was in the middle of a rep on the leg extension machine that's next to the leg curl machine.

I should have told him, yes, I'm using the curl machine, just to see if he'd go do something else and wait for me to finish. LOL.

It's possible he thought you might be super setting the two of them. I do that often with complimentary machines like the adduction/abduction machines.
  • SRB5729
    SRB5729 Posts: 2
    Options
    Curling in the squat rack. I have seen this twice in the past 10 days.

This should be a stoning offense.

Amen!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Dunno, I think you have to be stoned to curl in the squat rack.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I didn't hear, but I saw a guy teaching a girl to squat in the Smith machine -- okay fine. She had 25 lbs on each side. The squat rack freed up and so they moved over, and the guy put the 25 lb plates on the barbell and made her squat with them! Guess he didn't realize there was a difference... The poor girl nearly fell over from the extra weight on the barbell >_< not safe!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Let me take a moment to say....

HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Had a guy come up to me just last week trying to tell me a girl should really be careful using heavy weights. I waved him off as politely as possible, but saw him not even 10 minutes later drop half the plates from his barbell mid-squat right onto his foot. Shoulda asked him if he wanted a hand learning to secure those :laugh:
  • dockofdebey
    dockofdebey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The guy next to me at the gym today did 3 sets of selfies!
  • AngelaRoberta
    AngelaRoberta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "Weight training is a man thing."
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Had a guy come up to me just last week trying to tell me a girl should really be careful using heavy weights. I waved him off as politely as possible, but saw him not even 10 minutes later drop half the plates from his barbell mid-squat right onto his foot. Shoulda asked him if he wanted a hand learning to secure those :laugh:

The best karma!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    "I'm a beachbody coach and you should try shakeology"
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    There is a guy who works out with a great, female (this is relevant) trainer at the same time I lift each Tuesday. I always see him looking at his phone, and have heard him complaining about what she's having him do. The other day, she had him doing some push ups. Well, she had to modify to have him be on his knees because he was not really able to do them with full range otherwise. So, he then says "my wife said she did 100 push ups the other day, but they were girl push ups, so that doesn't count." Um, really? And to a female trainer?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Does the Women's Locker Room count as the gym?

Because I have heard some of the dumbest things said in there. It's mostly complaining about boyfriends and husbands. I want to shout, "Do you know WHY you are dating an idiot??? B/c you are also an idiot!" I don't though.
  • 1971MLJ
    1971MLJ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation with a girl at my gym about how much weight she'd put on and was desperate to lose it. Then asked the instructor which classes she could do that would help her lose weight but she didn't like to sweat - at all. :ohwell:
  • melissay28
    melissay28 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not fitness related but was looking at a gym to lose baby weight when my son was a few months old. They provided childcare for an additional $30 a month, ok cool, until they told me that the "childcare" was a room with treadmills, ellipticals & a couple other machines plus toys and we had to watch our own child while in there. Ummmm wtf would I be paying for?!?! Between that and the "early termination fee" of $350 for breaking my contract if we moved (military family so it was very possible...and did end up happening).
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.

did you tell him punching him in the face repeatedly would be a good cardio exercise you both could do?

Bradfordbear! I loved your response!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Worst thing I have heard is while running on the treadmill a male told me he had another cardio exercise I could do with him and gave me a wink.
    He got kicked out of the gym a few days later because myself and several females reported him for being so creepy. So it all worked out in the end.
    So basically he wasn't attractive.
    Being unattractive doesn't make you creepy. Saying rude comments, following people to their cars and trying to grab females in the gym makes you a creepy d-bag..
    He was unattractive because he was creepy.
    He was acting creepy. He was being a jerk. He was assaulting women.
    If someone tried to grab me & I didn't want it to happen, he'd be pretty unhappy.
    If it happened in the parking lot, rather than in the gym, he'd be really unhappy. (I'm not usually armed while working out.)

Hey OP - the proper response (which, admittedly, might encourage him) would be something like, "really? I've read that most men don't last long enough to make it a cardio workout".
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I pretty much don't go anywhere without make up - even the gym
    I don't wear makeup anyway, other than nail polish (weak nails), but why would someone want their pores blocked when they know they're going to be getting hot & sweaty,
    plus why would someone want to have makeup running when they sweat,
    plus why would someone want to have makeup wiped off (probably unevenly) when they wipe off sweat?
    Not everyone doesn't care what they look like
    I look just fine the way I am.
    My skin is clear, color is good, eyelashes are fine, hair is fine, lips are fine...
    in short, I don't need to pretend.
    I don't need to be painted, don't want to achieve someone else's idea of "beautiful" if it means compromising who I am.
    people who cry about being sweaty with their raggedy pony tail and being a sweaty mess
    Heck, no! I'm happy that I'm a sweaty mess, tired, sore, etc. I worked hard to get there!