Calling all Women Lifters

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Hey lady lifters - it's been way too long since your last posts...

How are we doing? Any new PR's? Share!!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I wish! My last few workouts have been dismal. It hit me mid-day yesterday that *duh!* even with waking up at the crack of dawn (earlier) I still have to eat a little something (string cheese is my go to) before I lift or else it's kind of pointless.

My goals are to get really comfortable lifting the oly bar (dls, squats, push press). I can do 10 reps of 35 (don't laugh!) with ease now so it's on the horizon.

Oh I did accomplish the NSV of finally being able to do "man-style" pushups! "Just" 2 sets of 10 but the NRoLfW setup of starting at an angle and slowly getting lower to the ground really did the trick. I still don't get as low to the ground as is probably ideal but I see that coming soon.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    2 sets of 10 is great!! Awesome work!
    I keep it simple with knee push ups... I can do real push ups but lately my shoulder and wrist are really inflamed so I keep it simple.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    bump - I'm just a wannabe right now. My heaviest weights are 8 lbs. I'm so hoping for a gym membership in September, so I can start the New Rules of Lifting program.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump - I just want to mark thread. I have enjoyed reading and am currently doing P90X. I think this book about the rules of lifting for women sounds interesting, I am going to have to check into it.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    we've been doing a lot of strength lately and saw some new PR's on the following

bench press 112# (end of year goal is 125)
    Overhead Squat 98# (end of year goal 110)
    Power Clean 115# (end of year 135)
    Jerk 125# (end of year 150)
    Front Squat 140#
    My last deadlift was 240 - I'd like a 275 at end of year.

While I feel good about my lifting, I still need to work on my gymnastics strength move. I have yet to do ring dips unassisted, pull ups unassisted, muscle ups (very few can)
  • afirecracker4
    afirecracker4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of some of you!

I have been in and out of the gym for twenty years (46 yo). After having severe foot pain from doing calf raises last year, I gained a few pounds and got to 138 my heaviest ever. I am 5'0 so this is serious!

Just got back in gym in Feb. started out with starting strength and now doing a push / pull type routine. I've increased my reps to 15 on everything for the past two months because I have so much fat to get rid of. I usually do 2-3 hours cardio and 3 hours weightlifting a week. I have trimmed up a bit, but not as much as I would like. My legs are finally looking better, but the waist size and width of my hips is not really shrinking much yet.

I've been reading the comments about lifting heavy and I think where I'm at now, I can finally drop the reps a little and lift heavy because I'm at a plateau.

Just wondering how you heavy lifters get by the shoulder pain to squat? I currently squat 110lbs on smith machine and that is no where near my 1rm but anything heavier hurts my back. Also, when I put weights on the barbell for bench press, my hands hurt too bad! Is this something that your hands and back adapt to? What gives???????????

One more question - I do squats every 4-5 days, alternating once with extensions and the other day with deadlifts and curls. Reason I do squats this frequently is because I figure I am burning more fat this way than lifting heavy once a week. I also do step ups, lunges, adductor and abbductor on my workout day between the squats. The rest of the body parts get worked once every 5-7 days, except abs is done twice a week.

Any recommendations on melting off this last 5lbs. of fat? I use Jac3ed for pre-workout, but I am thinking about trying a fat burner to break out of this plateau.

Would love to hear from you gals!
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm new to the lifting world but so excited to start. I'd always entertained dreams of being very strong and muscular but never thought I would get there... but I think I'm on my way! I'm still in the process of learning routines and techniques but I'm working with a trainer who I think will be able to get me where I want to be soon enough!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know any good workout moves (using weights or body weight) to strengthen shoulders and/or upper back? I've been working my deltoids, but I was hoping to "add more" shoulder. Is that even possible? And upper back.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    we've been doing a lot of strength lately and saw some new PR's on the following

bench press 112# (end of year goal is 125)
    Overhead Squat 98# (end of year goal 110)
    Power Clean 115# (end of year 135)
    Jerk 125# (end of year 150)
    Front Squat 140#
    My last deadlift was 240 - I'd like a 275 at end of year.

While I feel good about my lifting, I still need to work on my gymnastics strength move. I have yet to do ring dips unassisted, pull ups unassisted, muscle ups (very few can)

Awesome PRs girl!! Especially the overhead squat - no matter how hard I try I just cannot get past 55 pounds...that movement is so dang hard!!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What routines are you ladies doing??? (I'm going to need a new routine come June.)
    My gf and I are doing 4 circuits instead of 3 now. We are also trying to add more weight or reps.
    Here are all the exersices we have used. My favorites are *'ed.

Routine 1:
    Dumbbell Chest Press
    *Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    Bench Dips
    Triple-Delts (front/side/rear)
    *Chest Flyes
    *Dumbbell Deadlifts
    Side Plank
    *Dumbbell Bent Over Row
    *Lat Pulldown (reverse grip)
    Hamstring Curl

Routine 2:
    *Decline Sit-up (weight plate on chest)
    Lunges
    Step-ups with Dumbbells
    Oblique Twists w/ weight plate
    Leg Raise up/down slowly
    *Plank
    *Plank w/ knee raise
    *Push-up on bar
    T-Man Plank
    ***Barbell Clean & Press
    Boat Pose
    Incline Dumbbell Row
    **Barbell Bicep Curl
    Barbell Reverse Lunge
    *Dumbbell Squat
    Over/Under Ball Pass
    *Tricep Kickbacks
    *Lat Pulldown (WIDE grip)

We on our 2nd routine and plan on changing it beginning of June. After her college graduation and our week long vacation. We plan on taking that week off from the gym too. (On the TV at our gym it says to take a week off from strength every 2-3 months. We have been going since Feb.)