Calling all Women Lifters

Options

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    It seems a shame to cover all of this hard work under sweaters right now.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Mean? I don't think I've gotten mean looks.
    I get mean looks. It's like they're pissed off that I am taking up space in the free weight area instead of using the machines like a good little girl. It could be that I workout on a military base and most of the guys there are huge meat heads.

I don't get mean looks, but I definitely get the vibe that I am honing in on their space. I kinda feel like they are thinking that a little girl is trying to play with the big boys. I can just imagine the snide comments in their heads......

So far, I haven't gotten any mean looks from the men at my gym. I usually go around the same time at night, and I see the same small group of people in the free weight area. We mostly speak by nodding our head or with a quick smile. I even got someone to check my deadlift form.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    Has anyone here had any experience with Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey Protein Isolate?

I currently use Jarrow for my Whey Protein... but it's not an isolate. I was thinking of going with Dymatize because it is an isolate, higher in protein and calcium per serving and claims to have an award winning taste.

Anyone?
  • guardup
    Options
    I got a cool present from Santa today... a body fat monitor. The same kind I have been using to monitor my fat percentage in the past... so it should stay consistent.

Took a measurement today... I was curious since I put on 2 pounds over the past month. It displayed a loss of .3% body fat.

This makes sense because I have been hitting the weights pretty frequently lately.

So now I have changes my ticker to weight GAIN... to allow for putting on muscle combined with fat loss... which will move more slowly now that I am in the 18s.

Still shooting for a 15% body fat. VERY happy with my energy levels from this plan. I feel like my metabolism is cranking.
  • edorice
    Options
    Has anyone here had any experience with Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey Protein Isolate?

I currently use Jarrow for my Whey Protein... but it's not an isolate. I was thinking of going with Dymatize because it is an isolate, higher in protein and calcium per serving and claims to have an award winning taste.

Anyone?
    Haven't used Dymatize
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I got a cool present from Santa today... a body fat monitor. The same kind I have been using to monitor my fat percentage in the past... so it should stay consistent.

Took a measurement today... I was curious since I put on 2 pounds over the past month. It displayed a loss of .3% body fat.

This makes sense because I have been hitting the weights pretty frequently lately.

So now I have changes my ticker to weight GAIN... to allow for putting on muscle combined with fat loss... which will move more slowly now that I am in the 18s.

Still shooting for a 15% body fat. VERY happy with my energy levels from this plan. I feel like my metabolism is cranking.

How does the body fat monitor work?
  • guardup
    Options

The monitor uses electrical impulses (bioelectrical impedance) to measure body fat. You have to use it the same way you do a scale... first thing in the morning before eating/drinking and exercise.
  • JoyousRen
    Options

The monitor uses electrical impulses (bioelectrical impedance) to measure body fat. You have to use it the same way you do a scale... first thing in the morning before eating/drinking and exercise.

Ok. I've heard of those. I wasn't sure if it was a new kind.
  • edorice
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    Santa brought me something too. I got a new Ipod Nano and a weighted vest for my push-ups and walking. We did chest, shoulders, and triceps this morning but I didn't use the weighted vest yet.

Can you tell me the benefits of the isolates that you have mentioned Meghan?
  • guardup
    Options
    I have only tried the Jarrow Whey Protein (filtered) formula so far. It seems to work fine even with my lactose intolerance.

I bulk order it through Vitacost... so I still have 6lbs of it to go through. I may try a pound of the Dynamix when I get a chance to visit the store... we're snowed in right now in New England. Actually, I have a 4x4 truck but all the stores are closed still.

Good news on your weighted vest. One thing... be careful about jogging or doing any jumping exercises with it. Work up slowly to that level.

Is your vest customizable? Can you take out or add in weights?
  • edorice
    Options
    Yeah, I can take the weights out. I don't plan to do any of my plyometrics in the vest. I plan to only do the walking and push-ups in it.
    i order from Vitacost as well. I've found that bodybuilding.com has faster shipment. Let me know what you think of the Dymatize. I know you don't mind taste too much, but I'm a major brat about taste.
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    As the weight I'm using is going up, the pad of my palms right by the base of my fingers has been starting to get raw, almost like it's getting pinched when I'm holding the weights. Do any of you have any suggestions?
  • edorice
    Options
    As the weight I'm using is going up, the pad of my palms right by the base of my fingers has been starting to get raw, almost like it's getting pinched when I'm holding the weights. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Are you using any weight lifting gloves or straps?
  • JoyousRen
    Options

No. I only use dumbells so I don't think straps would work. Would lifting gloves help?
  • edorice
    Options

No. I only use dumbells so I don't think straps would work. Would lifting gloves help?

Yeah, get some lifting gloves. You can find them under $10 or $15 at Walmart or Target.
  • JoyousRen
    Options
    Yeah, get some lifting gloves. You can find them under $10 or $15 at Walmart or Target.

ok. Thanks!
  • guardup
    Options
    I agree... since you are only doing dumbbells at this stage, gloves are fine. Once you get into the barbells - or dumbbells of such a weight that your hands are giving out before your larger muscles - look at lifting straps.

I highly recommend something washable. They get stinky.
  • edorice
    Options
    What are your thoughts on Elite protein shots by Dymatize? I read some reviews that it was nasty tasting. I had a few protein shots that I got from Costco and it was hard to get it down.
  • F4v30n3
    F4v30n3 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi girls,!
    I've been out of the game a while.. a little disappointed. but I am back on it :)

I am not on that level yet, but pushing to look muscular :D.. but I do get that look alot.the " what is wrong with you" look mixed with " mmmmhh that is hot" look... . espeacially when I am the only girl walking into the free weight room wearing my gloves...
  • guardup
    Options
    What are your thoughts on Elite protein shots by Dymatize? I read some reviews that it was nasty tasting. I had a few protein shots that I got from Costco and it was hard to get it down.

Haven't tried much else other than the Jarrow Whey Powder and Cliff Builder, Pure Protein or Power Bar as yet.

I'm finding that I really prefer to have a Protein Bar after my workout... and then supplement with the Powder only if I am not getting enough protein at the end of the day.