What lit your fire?

Options

Replies

• hmacgr
    hmacgr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The 200lb mark on the scale! Never been there before and NEVER going back!
  • Mo0npie
    Mo0npie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ive always been a little bigger, but the turning point was having a friend call me "a little chubby". If Im chubby enough for him to say osmething, I can only imagine what people are thinking.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Nasty breakup -- decided getting hawt was the best revenge.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was at Wally World picking up a 40 lb bag of dog food and ripppppppppppppp my shorts tore right up the seam...... lol.....
  • tar0809
    tar0809 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I used to be super thin at 94 lbs and wore a 00 size pants. Then I ended up having 2 kids close together and my second one made be balloon up to 150lbs and wearing a size 11 YIKES!! I was so disgusted with myself, got depressed and all that. Finally after 3 years I couldn't take It anymore and also a few of my neighbors lost tons of weight so I was like ok it's my turn. Now I only have 6 lbs to my goal. I weigh 111 right now wearing a size 2-3 and I feel so much better about the way I look and feel.
  • gallifreyfallsnomore1
    Options
    Turning 50
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think I was in excuse hell. I knew I was gaining weight, and I knew why. I was eating more than burned off. It was a slow gradual thing, with a few losses over the years, but more gains than losses. I gained weight very slowly. I'm not upping my exercise to try and reverse that cycle to a gradual weight loss.

I don't really know why I chose now. I suppose getting older was a factor. That brings enough health risks without adding extra pounds to the equation. But mostly, I just want to form habits that will keep me at a healthy weight, and finally break the slow gain - fast loss cycle I've been on for the past 10 years or so.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    went to the beach with family and I was the referee. Everyone was so disrespectful including hubby who is usually good. I thought I cant stand any of them and I couldn't stand myself and I thought well I can do something about me. When I got home I ate lean cruisine meals for 3 months and hubby ate them to or fended for himself. I lost the weight, got my self esteem back and was no longer a doormat and demand to be treated respectfully now. Later found MFP and learned to eat more healthy after joining a gym and the instructor told me about this.
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My spouse of 17 yrs, telling me he was leaving because he just wasn't attracted to big women. & then I find out he had been cheating for at least a year.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The realization I was about to hit 50 , pulling a muscle in my lower back (first time off sick for yrs) and watching my dad struggle with diabetes.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My job had a "biggest loser challenge" running from January to June.

I won :bigsmile:

I am now into fitness and weight lifting more than weight loss.
  • 10PercentSteps
    10PercentSteps Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Moved to a new state, got a new job and everyone at my new workplace seems to be on a healthy weight loss kick! I think it was meant to be that i got this job! When everyone around you is on a healthy kick, you cant help but join in!!

Besides, I refuse to visit home in Feb and not be down enough to get some awesome reactions from family and friends!! I plant to be down 50 by the time I visit, its doable and i WILL do it!! :happy:
  • gotonenerveleft
    gotonenerveleft Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hubby being diagnosed with diabetes. He has no family history of the disease . Doctor told him it was totally related to being overweight. I on the other hand have so many family members with it. My numbers are edging closer towards it and I just dont want to have to live the way they have. So many of them eat what they please and then try to counteract it with their insulin. That's nuts!!!

Also, for vanitys sake, I have a closet full of cute clothes that I can't wear at the moment..... But soon I will!
  • Theotherkels
    Options
    Combination of things....my fat pants didn't fit, my knees hurt all the time, going up the stairs was brutal, my chin was eating my face, and I have a 2yr old very active child and I desperately wanted to be able to keep up with him and even more than that I want to enjoy things with him as he grows....he's my little daredevil so I know roller coasters are in my future and damned if I'm gonna be the mama who doesn't fit on the one he wants to ride. That's what lit the fire and it's been burning since!
  • chixabomb
    chixabomb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me it was trying on wedding dresses. I found a OOAK dress I adored but it is a size 10 and I am a size 14 in wedding dresses. The store altered it to fit with a corset back, but I vowed to lose the 50lbs in one year to wear it with the side seams where they should be. The day after I found my dress I stopped drinking pop or juice, began counting my calories and limiting my portions. A few weeks ago I got a Fitbit and started upping my exercise.

In the past, with every relationship I put on 20lbs. I don't want my marriage to be the same. I used to go to the gym every day, and I could run 5k no problem. After I had my daughter, I was down to 165, and then gained 15lbs - nearly weighing as much as I did when I gave birth to her! I want to be a good role model. Plus my fiancee was gaining weight with me and since he is 11 years older I started fearing a short life with him. Since I do all the cooking, it's easy for me to control a lot of what he eats and it felt like it was my fault.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    a divorce kick started it. but then after losing the unhealthy way I realized I needed to lose the healthy way not only for my son but for me. the nasty relationship was out of my life and only positive relationships were in my life (my son & myself) so I told myself to have a positive relationship with food and exercise. so I embraced it. currently in an extremely long plateau tho... :(
  • BabyJUDYKAY
    BabyJUDYKAY Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I was sitting at home every day and not being able to do all the things that you would like to do was very depressing. However, what lit my fire was my husband calling me names. He does not tell me I am fat or mind what size I am, but he was telling me on a regular basis that I am stupid. Often using the word, "retarded". He actually said to me that he litterally thinks that I am retarded. I got really weary of feeling worthless and I realize that I need to change my life. If I can lose weight then I believe it will make me feel better on the inside and the outside. Unfortunately, losing weight is not coming easy to me. I have been trying really hard.
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I realized if my trend continued I'd reach 300 lbs for the first time in my life by the end of the year
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctors office and a patient called in asking for the "short heavy set nurse". Uh, well I'm the only nurse who works in my office so it was a huge slap in the face...but it was definite wake up call.
  • Sweetchar417
    Sweetchar417 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    competitiveness and perfectionism.

There are many more details to the story including some health concern that played a role... but yeah. I have always been a big achiever and pleaser. Realizing I was so far below the acceptable norm for health/size motivated me to change.

This is me exactly. I still have so far to go but I think what drives me most is not wanting to fail.