What lit your fire?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It happened in stages with me. First, I started riding bicycles about 4 years ago due to a combination of my wife wanting me to ride with her, some other old friends getting into cycling and wanting me to ride with them, and my brother, who's not quite 2 years older than me (but similar enough that people have always thought we're twins) ended up first on blood pressure medication and then shortly afterwards on cholesterol meds too. Just riding bikes got me from my peak weight of about 235 down to around 200-205 over the course of about a year. I've been hovering between 200 and 210 ever since. I started racing bikes last year, this year got serious enough to hire a coach, and figured that if I was going to spend the time, money and effort on coaching, then it's dumb to be riding with 35 extra pounds on me.

Now, at around 194 lbs (currently) and probably more fit than I've ever been, I feel great and regularly kick myself for not doing this years ago. Can't wait to see how I feel at 165!

PS - my brother is still gaining weight and having health problems. We see each other almost every day, he's *at least* 40 lbs heaver than me, and yet he still swears we're "about the same size." It's really, really strange how being overweight affects your self-image.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Being forced to look through racks upon racks of clothes that are tents covered in sequins, glitter and flower appliques while my friends get to wear cute, stylish clothing! Nothing says "fat chick" like this:

A-Florida-Christmas.jpg

Love it!

I would wear it actually, at any size, But there wasn't much for me to choose from when I was at at my largest. Why do they put rhinestones on all jeans? Or Betty Boop? Or angels?

I didn't really have a wake up moment per se, I had been getting bigger and bigger over a course of a couple of years and firmly believed there was nothing I could do about it, so why bother trying?

Also, looking back, I didn't realise how big I was. I'm a bit of an odd shape, 1-2 sizes smaller on top, big boobs. I like vintage clothes too, so I could always make some excuse when I found I had to buy the next size up - 'fits everywhere except the bust', or 'vintage sizing - 2 sizes bigger' 'clothes not made for big busted/big bottomed women'. Rather than facing up to the fact that my UK size 24 jeans were getting too tight.

But I had a period of ill health and came out at the other end quite a bit lighter. When I was unwell, I didn't eat and what a surprise! I lost weight. I didn't want to continue losing in the same way, but it occured to me that there was rather a lot I could do about it and when I was on the mend, one of my nurses recommended this site.
  • Reneesjourney2bfit
    Reneesjourney2bfit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mine was actually in 2 steps, when I was young I was the kid who never got out of the pool, I always would said she's part fish. The last 12 years my health has been seriously declining, diabetes, back problems, blood problems, anxiety, blood pressure, arthritis, in hips, lower back, hands, knees (both), ankles (both).

Anyway, this summer, I finally broke down in the end of July and bought my son and husband a above ground pool. I was like whoo we are going to swim all summer. NOPE, never happened for me. I was too big to get on the ladder..it;s weight limit 300 lbs. I knew my weight was over 300lbs. Husband tried to build a small deck for me to get up on it and get in, but couldn't figure out, how I would get out of the pool, to get on the deck. I would have to sit in the bench and watch my family play in the pool w/o me.

A couple weeks from that..I went to the Dr. for a regular appt. that was August, 2 2014..son went w/ me...he weighed me and I 406 lbs. My blood pressure was high...had to bring in my bag o' medicine, for all their refills. He tells me the same thing I've heard a hundred times. Of course, thought the same thing..yeah yeah...I know..just give me my refills...is what was going through my head. What I didn't realize was my son was listening to what he was saying, and taking everything he said very seriously. When, we left ..his faced changed and was sad, he said "mom, I never realized you were that sick." He then asked me.."mom do you not care about me or love me, that you don't want to stay around?" Wow, that statement right there, brought me to tears, and "I told him of course I love you, and what to be around forever." He told his dad that night..and I found out later that night, when husband told me. My son was crying to him, telling him, that he didn't want to lose mom, he was scared and frightened that I could die any day, and he couldn't live w/o me. When, I heard that...my decision was easy and no thought was going to stop me. If I couldn't do it for myself, then do it for my son, who deserves the best mother he could ever get..and that meant for me to be around for him. I couldn't stand the thought of food and fat being more important then my child. So from that day forward..it's been hard work...and he motivates and inspires me everyday. He is my workout buddy...he walks, does aerobics w/ me recently..encouraged me to jog. I did it..it was 1 minute at a time for 7 total minutes, but I did it at a weight of 379lbs, I didn't think I would be able to achieve that until i was at least 250lbs. He even would stand at different check points and slap my hands...at the end of the 7 mins..he gave me a hug and told me he was super proud of me, because he knew how hard it was for me...but I at least tried. Tears were going down both our faces. I'm doing this for him, me, future grandchildren. I started losing weight before I found MFP..but glad that I found it, it's a great tool. So to date I've lost 29 lbs weigh 377 lbs and will continue doing what I have to ..to get healthy and stay that way!!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Every year I promise myself I will lose weight for the next time that the season comes about. So, in my fat christmas dress, I'll say, next year I'll be in a thin Christmas dress. Or for Valentines Day I'll promise next year I'll fit into cute lingerie. Or for family reunions and weddings I promise next year I"ll look good for seeing these people.
    My favorite time of year is summer, and I had promised I'd be wearing a thin bathing suit and that I'd look good playing beach volleyball, and I'd be able to run 5ks again. Well, this summer is the same old thing. While I was sitting on the beach looking at all of the people playing volleyball and I was on the sidelines hiding tears that I didn't want anyone to see, I decided that this was the last time. And I still may not be at goal at any one of those seasons in the immediate future, but I will live every day in a healthy way and keep finding ways to make the right decisions nutritionally and with my exercise. Soon I will be smaller.

Keep Strong and Don't Blink! Whoverine :-)

I was thinking the same thing. Awesome profile pic. I love my Don't Blink t-shirt. I'm a proud Whovian.