Realized I'll never be a runner

Options

Replies

• AngelaRoberta
    AngelaRoberta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am one of the slowest runners I know, but I DO run, I have a great time, and I always lap all the couch potatoes. So that's good enough for me right now.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k and run a bit like a hobbled moose (both in form and in speed). That's OK because I am running. It gets a bit better each session and I know that someday I won't be quite so jiggly or red in the face.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Jogger= anyone that can cover a mile while moving faster than a walking pace... I have seen 300+ lb linemen "jog" at like maybe 1 mile an hour...

Runner= anyone that can cover a mile in less than 6 minutes... and can do it consistently for several miles...

is that too provocative?

runners are deliberately sexy?

how delightfully fun!

Also -this is interesting to know- I NEVER ran under a 6 min mile consistently and I was varisty cross country and even ran at the California State Championships.

Guess all the years I spent hitting the pavement makes me a jogger. good to know.

(and while I do believe there is a distinct difference between jogging and running.. I don't think there is a time you can mark it)
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    love this!!
    what you call effortless i call practice. you think people are just born taking long elegant strides?? well, some are, but i digress...

the point it, that sucking at something is the first step at being kinda good at something.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Comparison is the thief of joy.

I love that saying!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The elliptical won't give you the shin splints like road running will.

And the elliptical won't stimulate the necessary adaptions required to improve running to the next higher level.

Right. But I was just pointing out that the person suggesting rest days meant road running, not the elliptical.
    Running is definitely more stressful but, if being done properly, the elliptical still works your muscles pretty hard and everyone, regardless of the exercise they are doing every day, should take a rest day. Our bodies really do need a chance to recover once per week. Well, maybe except when the sole exercise is leisurely walking because I consider a day of just walking around the mall or walking my dogs a rest day. :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And the elliptical won't stimulate the necessary adaptions required to improve running to the next higher level.

Right. But I was just pointing out that the person suggesting rest days meant road running, not the elliptical.
    Running is definitely more stressful but, if being done properly, the elliptical still works your muscles pretty hard and everyone, regardless of the exercise they are doing every day, should take a rest day. Our bodies really do need a chance to recover once per week. Well, maybe except when the sole exercise is leisurely walking because I consider a day of just walking around the mall or walking my dogs a rest day. :)

I wonder how those who do manual labor for a living 5 days/week survive.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Anyone who gets out there and does 'more' than walking is a runner.

Jogging is an 80's phrase. To say that a certain speed = jogging and that another speed = running is elitist bullsh*t.

If you go out there then you're a runner. Don't compare yourself to anyone but yourself.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ignore all the jogging/running BS and just offer info that can actually help OP

Runzi app - its a great tool to help you become an efficient runner.

Coach25K is a great program for beginners

best of luck to you
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    that's not arbitrary...that's what my track coach told me... sure it is an out of fad definition... made so by folks that believe you shouldn't keep score in a kids soccer match... who think spanking is detrimental to little johnny's sense of self... who think... a "participation medal" is just as good as a GOLD medal...

Joogers jog... Runners run... is someone who finishes a marathon in 6 hours a runner? or is someone who finishes in 3 hours a jogger?

Thppptttt!!!!

I guess per your douche coach's arbitrary definition that Ed Whitlock is a "jogger."
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The cool thing about outdoor running is that by the time someone realizes that my lifter quads look stumpy when I run and I have all the grace of a baby elephant, I'm already gone.

^This!
  • Babyzoom
    Babyzoom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'1" and I know how you feel. I've been running seriously for 2 years, and on and off before that during high school. People pass me up ALL the time. Old, young, short, heavy and tall. It used to bother me a lot and even get me down on myself, but I never gave up. Running is a part of my life. I run approx. 36-40 miles a week with my long runs usually being between 12-14 miles. I average at 11 to 12 minute miles and I'm only about 4 lbs away from the top of my BMI, so it really isn't because of a lot of excess weight.
    There was a time last year when I got soooo sick and I had a condition that caused muscle wasting. I could barely walk without intense pain. I had to basically start from walking again. I mention this because it made me realize that it doesn't matter if you're the slowest, ugliest runner out there. If you love it, do it. You never know if you may lose the opportunity. Good luck with your goals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I wonder how those who do manual labor for a living 5 days/week survive.
    They rest on at least one of the other two, of course.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I hate running, but I'm trying to learn to at least like it enough to do it
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Track stars don't run, they sprint. If they were endurance training they'd be taking shorter strides, just like you.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    FWIW I am 5'9.5" with long legs, and I'm pretty much the furthest thing from graceful that you can get. I sometimes feel like Lurch from the Adams family when I run. I'm pretty slow as well.

I get passed by runners much shorter than me ALLLLLL the time.

Don't get discouraged because you aren't a track star immediately. You might never be a fast runner. But if you want to be a runner, you can be a runner. They come in all shapes, sizes, and speeds!

Yep I'm 5' 9" and I am slow! Little kids pass me. Who cares :) I don't need to be fast that's not why I'm doing it. I'm doing it because I want to be healthier, and now I think I'm kind of addicted. Had you told me a year ago I would be saying this, I would have laughed :)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

They were an easy going, mellow and polite bunch. But no matter what age they were, they looked 50ish and, um, a bit *worn*.

Haha, thanks! ;)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Found this today:

2d1b56ad4be6fe83bb872a406959586a.jpg

I want it!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    LOL! Some of us are born dancers, some of us are born runners and some of us look like crazy people when we attempt to do either of those things but who the hell cares, at least we're trying!

Story of my life!! I love horseback riding, but at 5'1'' with flabby tighs, I'll never look like this :

220px-WC07a.JPG

More like that :

thelwell_cartoon,0.jpg