Realized I'll never be a runner

Options
123457»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    FWIW, motivated by this thread, last night, I became a runner.

My primary exercise for the last 1 1/2 year has been daily walking. (I recently added strength training to my program so cardio is down to 3x/wk). I started out walking 1/2 mile in about 20mins. Yeah, that slow. Over time, I have worked up to 4 miles @ 4mph twice a week and a 6-7 mile hike on Saturday.

I have attempted C25K numerous times, but never got past week 2. I was also diagnosed with PFPS due to Patellar Tracking Disorder about 5 months ago. Even then, I never lost sight of my dream to run. I have been rehabing my knee with strength training for the past 2-3 months. But I still feel knee pain upon impact when I attempt to run and have been afraid to run because I don't want to further damage my knee.

Last night I incorporated C25K W1D2 into my treadmill workout. My knee felt a little wonky, but the discomfort is bearable. Then at the 4mile mark (70min) into my workout, I decided to run - just to see how long I could last. And I did, at first just to see if I could get to the 2min mark without my knee killing me. Then 3min. And something amazing happened. By not concentrating on how far, how fast or how long I was running, I found a stride and pace that didn't hurt my knee. I guess I was running - I mean, my arms were pumping, rather than swinging along side my body as they do when I walk. My cadence was different. So yeah, I was RUNNING. And I continued to run for 12:23, until I completed mile 5.

I can't wait for my next cardio workout. I will run again, and again, and again. Not far, not fast, not long compared to many runners, but farther and longer than I ran last night. And I will continue to do that until I no longer can improve.

Thanks for this tread, the comments and the inspiration.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Found this today:

2d1b56ad4be6fe83bb872a406959586a.jpg

I want it!

I need this! It will explain to people who pass me on the cool down why I'm sweating so much! LOL
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    FWIW, motivated by this thread, last night, I became a runner.

My primary exercise for the last 1 1/2 year has been daily walking. (I recently added strength training to my program so cardio is down to 3x/wk). I started out walking 1/2 mile in about 20mins. Yeah, that slow. Over time, I have worked up to 4 miles @ 4mph twice a week and a 6-7 mile hike on Saturday.

I have attempted C25K numerous times, but never got past week 2. I was also diagnosed with PFPS due to Patellar Tracking Disorder about 5 months ago. Even then, I never lost sight of my dream to run. I have been rehabing my knee with strength training for the past 2-3 months. But I still feel knee pain upon impact when I attempt to run and have been afraid to run because I don't want to further damage my knee.

Last night I incorporated C25K W1D2 into my treadmill workout. My knee felt a little wonky, but the discomfort is bearable. Then at the 4mile mark (70min) into my workout, I decided to run - just to see how long I could last. And I did, at first just to see if I could get to the 2min mark without my knee killing me. Then 3min. And something amazing happened. By not concentrating on how far, how fast or how long I was running, I found a stride and pace that didn't hurt my knee. I guess I was running - I mean, my arms were pumping, rather than swinging along side my body as they do when I walk. My cadence was different. So yeah, I was RUNNING. And I continued to run for 12:23, until I completed mile 5.

I can't wait for my next cardio workout. I will run again, and again, and again. Not far, not fast, not long compared to many runners, but farther and longer than I ran last night. And I will continue to do that until I no longer can improve.

Thanks for this tread, the comments and the inspiration.

You're doing it right!! At the begining, that's what I was told: run as slow as you can, with the shortest strides. You'll be less likely to hurt/wind yourself. Give yourself 3 months, and you'll be running 5K non-stop!!! :happy:
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.

Yes, I'm 6'1" @ 190lbs. I run quieter and faster than my 22 yr old who is 5'7" and MUCH lighter than I. I also take almost twice as many steps as her in the same distance. A short stride with a fast turn over is ideal. If you lift your knees / have a longer stride you tire out the quad muscles and over work the knee.

Shorter strides are more efficient and reduce aches and pains. Keep feet low to the ground, using a light touch of the feet and a relatively short stride.

Also try Run - Walking as described by Jeff Galloway - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/

I run for 6 minutes, walk for 20 seconds to allow the running legs to recover. I can still complete a halfs in 1hr45min easily and feel great afterwards.
  • RebeccaMae1983
    RebeccaMae1983 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Short quick steps are ideal. The kids on the track will do most of their running using high-cadence, shorter strides. They take the long graceful strides (still quickly) when they are on the track doing speedwork. Also, many elite runners are quite short.

I'm glad to hear short steps are ideal because they are the only ones I have.
    I guess I just feel like I'm pushing my short legs as fast as they will go while other people look like gazelles. I won't let it deter me from running because I actually prefer being outside running than on the elliptical.

A candance of at least 180 steps/minute is typically considered ideal. Barring a pedometer device attached to your shoe (or a gps watch with an app that measures this) you can detect your candance by counting the number of times your right foot strikes the ground in 30 seconds then multiplying this by 4.

I just wanted to let you know I did this today and got 168 steps per minute.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I'm glad to hear short steps are ideal because they are the only ones I have.
    I guess I just feel like I'm pushing my short legs as fast as they will go while other people look like gazelles. I won't let it deter me from running because I actually prefer being outside running than on the elliptical.

A candance of at least 180 steps/minute is typically considered ideal. Barring a pedometer device attached to your shoe (or a gps watch with an app that measures this) you can detect your candance by counting the number of times your right foot strikes the ground in 30 seconds then multiplying this by 4.

I just wanted to let you know I did this today and got 168 steps per minute.
    Quite good especially in the beginning! 180 steps per minute has me running at around 6.5 MPH, a pace I can't sustain for long. I'm usually in the 160s myself.

If you're interested, and have a smartphone, there are free metronome apps available. I've used one in the past to try to force myself to 180 which is how I know how fast I'm going at that rate. :) It's a little odd running to just a tock-tock-tock but it's very helpful.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymstone.metronome&hl=en
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Meerataila wrote: »
    If you're going faster than a walk you're a runner. If you love the feeling of running, keep doing it and who cares how fast or long you go?

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Wow, love this! Meerataila, you're one of my heroes.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're comparing yourself to the local high school track team??

i was out for my run the other day when i got passed by the local high school girls cross country team. didn't really phase me that much, other than the fact that i picked up the pace a little bit.

i mean, these kids are 14-18 years old and in excellent shape. not some 30 year old dude looking to drop a few pounds.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hear this stuff a lot when I mention doing 10ks to people...oh I can't be a runner. When I ask why, it is RARELY someone who mentions a legit medical condition that would make running a bad idea. They usually say something like that they tried running one time and could only go a block and it was hard and they looked silly and therefore they are born not a runner. To someone like myself they sound ridiculous. Like someone saying they can't be a bodybuilder because they tried lifting 500 pounds once and couldn't do it. LOL maybe start small and build??

When I started running I weighed 240ish pounds at 5'5', was flailing everywhere, and running a 15 minute pace for about 50 feet at a time before my heart nearly blew up. We ALL start like this, no one is born with that level of skill. You work to build speed, endurance, perfect your posture so you look graceful and efficient, etc. It is a developmental process. Give yourself more than a couple of weeks. A couple of years is more like it! And cool the negative self talk and comparisons with others. You are on your own path, not theirs. Just have fun and work on your fitness and enjoy the journey.
  • babyweight331
    Options
    About a little over a year ago when I first started running, I could barely make it 30 seconds without stopping and feeling like garbage. Now I'm training for my first half marathon in April. You can do it! Running like any other sport takes practice. You got this!