Teachers: how do you feel about the new school year

Options

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am speaking of the teaching profession. If you are going to broaden that to anyone that is learned from, then we cannot have this discussion. :flowerforyou:

I think that's the best thing that's been said since the OP posted. :happy:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I bet that I will be labeled anti-teacher fairly soon. (I am actually anti-bad teacher.)

With the new policies in NC, we're being left with nothing but bad teachers because all the good teachers are moving out of the state where they will receive adequate pay and support plus benefits like tenure without being pitted in a duel against their fellow teachers for raises...or else they're leaving the profession altogether. I know a LOT of ex-teachers who loved their jobs and were good at it, but couldn't afford to keep teaching.

That is a political barrier and I agree that there needs to be incentives in place to attract good, effective teachers.

As I said, this political barrier is affecting the general financial outlook of the entire state because businesses don't want to relocate or expand in a place where they can only hire uneducated hicks. We have Research Triangle Park and a lot of drug manufacturers and researchers, and those companies fear they will have to supplement their workforce from outside the state in the future. Or leave.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Imma keep it simple here.
    1) lift weights, less cardiovascular. It's a huge time saver, and IMHO better results.
    2) if you don't like your job/hours etc. Stop your complaining and do something about it. Otherwise STFU. All jobs have good points and suck points. Welcome to life.

I hope no one was thinking that I'm complaining about my job because I'm not. I only asked what I should do to calm my nerves about my first year of teaching and what would be the best way to fit in workouts into my day.

I didn't think you were complaining, OP. It's not going to be easy but you can fit some in where you can. Doesn't have to be hours or even daily. You'll find the balance once you settle in - just don't put too much pressure on yourself and stress yourself out further! :flowerforyou: You're going to do great!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Teachers are pretty pro at seeming like they have the most difficult jobs ever and digging in to prevent solutions. Think of how aggressively they fight methods to measure their performance.

I try to respect teachers, but I've found they do an adverse amount of complaining about their jobs as compared to the rest of the working public.

The university I went to was primarily for education majors, I knew a lot of them. Most were slackers who wanted to make sure they had an easy job with summers off and a relaxed schedule. I think that's where the complaining comes from. 3 months off work makes people spoiled. They don't realize how it sounds to the rest of us who just work all the time. Complaining that you're coming up on the 3/4 of the year you actually have to work just falls on deaf ears.

Working before and after school aside. They still get months off each year. Most professionals, myself included, take our work home. I've had many nights where I worked while the rest of my house slept until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Most professionals are lucky to get a few days off each year, let alone 3 months for summer break.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love these threads.

Teacher's have an easy life because...............

Then why don't you become one?

Um...........No, they're bad because........

:drinker:

Carry on.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Imma keep it simple here.
    1) lift weights, less cardiovascular. It's a huge time saver, and IMHO better results.
    2) if you don't like your job/hours etc. Stop your complaining and do something about it. Otherwise STFU. All jobs have good points and suck points. Welcome to life.

I hope no one was thinking that I'm complaining about my job because I'm not. I only asked what I should do to calm my nerves about my first year of teaching and what would be the best way to fit in workouts into my day.

I don't think you were complaining. It's just the way you said it made it sound like you would have no time to work out. :flowerforyou: You can do it. Seriously, do a workout that's more effective in a shorter period of time, and utilize short amounts of free time (like lunch) to be active.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    man, i wish i had school teacher hours. what are they, 8-3? nothing would be able to stop me.

school teachers hours are not even close to 8-3, you couldn't handle working their hours.

I spent six years in the military, followed by many years in construction before finally settling into a 9-5 job that sometimes has my phone ringing at 3 in the morning. I think I could handle a teacher's hours just fine.

They get to school by 6am most days, stay till late in the evening doing afterschool with students and having meetings, they don't get home till almost 6pm,

My mother, who is a teacher, doesn't get up until 6:30, and she's usually home by 5.
    then have to correct papers, make lesson plans, go to stores to purchase out of their own pay supplies for their students, schools do not pay for this, how many other professionals pay for work supplies out of their pocket , not many... yet parents complain teachers do nothing for their kids, they do more than the parents most times sorry... parents need to step up and support their local schools and teachers, then after all that work... over 14 plus hours of work a day... they might perhaps get to shovel err eat dinner, do bare minimum any house chores, say hi to their own spouses or kids for 5 minutes before having to complete professional development lessons for themselves aka teacher home work, if they get into bed by 11pm or midnight each night they are lucky then must get up at 430-5am again and be their for kids, but teachers don't work... try teachers don't get paid enough to deal with the crap they have to, and tenure isn't a bad thing just it needs to be revised to be able to let go of teachers who are.

My mother does have to correct papers, but make lesson plans? Not in years. The government sees fit that all kids get the same lesson, because we all fit in the same, neat little package. If they don't want to pay for things out of their own pocket, do like the schools do here.....request it from the parents. We get these requests a few times a year, and they ask for double what they actually need because half the parents won't chip in. You're exaggerating the hours, big time. Most non-extra curricular activity (sports, band, honor society, etc) teachers won't see more than a few 12 hour days a year. As for pay, my mom has a Master's degree and 40+ years, so she makes bank. However, the average starting salary for a teacher in Louisiana (where my mom is) fresh out of college with a Bachelor's degree is $38,641. The average household income for Louisiana is $42,944. Now you say, "see, teachers get paid less", but keep in mind, that average income for the state is household, meaning it includes single and multi-income houses.

Don't take this as me bashing on teachers, 'cause I'm not. What I'm doing is correcting your exaggerated numbers for the profession.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    man, i wish i had school teacher hours. what are they, 8-3? nothing would be able to stop me.

school teachers hours are not even close to 8-3, you couldn't handle working their hours.

I spent six years in the military, followed by many years in construction before finally settling into a 9-5 job that sometimes has my phone ringing at 3 in the morning. I think I could handle a teacher's hours just fine.

They get to school by 6am most days, stay till late in the evening doing afterschool with students and having meetings, they don't get home till almost 6pm,

My mother, who is a teacher, doesn't get up until 6:30, and she's usually home by 5.
    then have to correct papers, make lesson plans, go to stores to purchase out of their own pay supplies for their students, schools do not pay for this, how many other professionals pay for work supplies out of their pocket , not many... yet parents complain teachers do nothing for their kids, they do more than the parents most times sorry... parents need to step up and support their local schools and teachers, then after all that work... over 14 plus hours of work a day... they might perhaps get to shovel err eat dinner, do bare minimum any house chores, say hi to their own spouses or kids for 5 minutes before having to complete professional development lessons for themselves aka teacher home work, if they get into bed by 11pm or midnight each night they are lucky then must get up at 430-5am again and be their for kids, but teachers don't work... try teachers don't get paid enough to deal with the crap they have to, and tenure isn't a bad thing just it needs to be revised to be able to let go of teachers who are.

My mother does have to correct papers, but make lesson plans? Not in years. The government sees fit that all kids get the same lesson, because we all fit in the same, neat little package. If they don't want to pay for things out of their own pocket, do like the schools do here.....request it from the parents. We get these requests a few times a year, and they ask for double what they actually need because half the parents won't chip in. You're exaggerating the hours, big time. Most non-extra curricular activity (sports, band, honor society, etc) teachers won't see more than a few 12 hour days a year. As for pay, my mom has a Master's degree and 40+ years, so she makes bank. However, the average starting salary for a teacher in Louisiana (where my mom is) fresh out of college with a Bachelor's degree is $38,641. The average household income for Louisiana is $42,944. Now you say, "see, teachers get paid less", but keep in mind, that average income for the state is household, meaning it includes single and multi-income houses.

Don't take this as me bashing on teachers, 'cause I'm not. What I'm doing is correcting your exaggerated numbers for the profession.

What if someone said it's not exaggeration. Yes, some work short hours and don't work from home......

Then there's the good ones....just typ'n
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Op, everyone has to find a way to fit fitness into their lives. There are a gazillion demanding jobs. You either want it or you don't. If you want it you need to find the way that works for you. This is not judgement from me. But, it's reality. I think that teaching is a pretty basic job. I appreciate the work that good teachers put in (as well as the many people that volunteer for free at the school). I don't know what else to say.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have lived beside or within walking distance to many, many schools for years. The parking lots start filling up around 7:30 - 7:45 (school starts at 8) and they're completely empty by 3:45. Once a month or so, there's a parent event or a teacher event that requires them to come back to school for an evening.

These teachers who work after 3:45 probably walk to school, and that's how they get their exercise. They must.

OP, if you don't have kids, you have anytime between 3:45 and 10 pm to get in your workout. If you're doing cardio on a machine, just pop those multiple choice worksheets and one page papers up on the stationary bike's rack. You should be done grading everything before the 60 minute buzzer rings.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Great Question! I'm starting my 3rd year at my current school and am so happy to finally be full time! I spent the last 2 years at 80% so it's been awesome to finally be back in the swing of things. So, yeah, OP, I feel great!

For workouts, it's best to just find the time each day and do what works for you. I NEVER schedule workouts ahead of time, I just figure out what is going to work the best with my schedule and go to the gym on the days that fit the best. Last year I did weights 3 days a week and jogged once or twice. Another thing you can do is utilize weekends, double up and do Saturday/Sunday workouts regularly, then just fit something the M-F. Also dropping cardio for just weights saved me bundles of time. I wasn't full time last year so that made it easier to go walk for an hour, then workout for an hour. This year I'm just fitting them in when I can and my timing is a lot less. I'll do a 30 minute run, or go to my new favorite thing: Rock Climbing Gym! I go, get changed, climb for 20-30 minutes (basically until my hands stop working) and then head out!

Don't get stressed, just the fact that you're in a classroom on your feet 5 days a week will make up for at least 1 workout a week (especially if you're doing Elementary, those people NEVER sit down!) and remember to eat! I started last week and thought I could get away with eating less, only to find out I crash SUPER HARD about 9-10, and 2-3. Snacks are your best friend. Bananas, protein bars [like the granola ones, not the kinda-tasteless bodybuilder ones) jerky, all that good stuff.

Keep at it girl, you got this!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    OP, perhaps I missed it, but what grade do you teach? Is it possible that you could start your own after-school fitness program for students? That would make it so that you would be obligated to work out, and you'd have time set aside. Maybe twice a week, after school for one hour?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Teachers are pretty pro at seeming like they have the most difficult jobs ever and digging in to prevent solutions. Think of how aggressively they fight methods to measure their performance.

I'd say teaching and nursing are two of the hardest. You do most of the work and get none of the credit for it. I am STILL friends with a lot of my teachers from high school - they're a huge reason why I am who I am today.

And you're really really good at generalizations.

So are you it seems.

Also, when we are talking about a profession as a whole, it is a mite bit hard not to generalize. :wink:

How often do you see people being honored and thanking a teacher? Or someone who was injured and is on the news or whatever thank the nursing staff? It DOES happen, but not nearly often enough considering none of us would be here able to construct a proper sentence if it weren't for teachers. And Lord knows nurses have held my hand when I've needed it.

There are quite a few Education awards, to my knowledge. And I also believe there are people who go back and thank teachers who had a positive impact on them. I know that I have done this. And I will let the nurses chime in here, but I would be willing to bet that they do get thanked by patients and their families for the care they are given.

And you think that self-taught or homeschooled people cannot construct a proper sentence? :huh:

How many people are 100% self-taught and have NEVER had any assistance ever? I'd love to see that.

Homeschooled are still schooled. Just because it's in a home doesn't mean they aren't TAUGHT. :laugh:

In any case, we'll just agree to disagree on some things. :smile:

*raises hand* Me Me Me Me ME!!! I was "homeschooled" and taught myself quite a bit before going to college... My mother was too busy sleeping to teach me algebra or sentence structures... I took the textbooks (as few as there were) and learned it myself...
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am also one who has gotten fed up with public schools.
    It is not always the teachers fault (although every once in a while, a teacher might be bad.
    The biggest problem is that the teachers are being forced to teach to the lowest common denominator AND deal with idiot parents who can't understand why little Johnny numbnuts cannot spell his own name by the second grade (hint, it is called "lazy parents").
    Then we have Common Core which is the governments way of taking simple addition and making it so complex that students are BOUND to fail.
    And the teachers MUST teach this garbage.
    No thanks.
    I will continue to home school my kids.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Wow, feeling some animosity against hard working tax paying professionals reminds me of a few of the nursing threads. All OP wanted to know was how to fit exercise into her schedule with her new profession.

Best to you OP in your first year and years to come.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Great Question! I'm starting my 3rd year at my current school and am so happy to finally be full time! I spent the last 2 years at 80% so it's been awesome to finally be back in the swing of things. So, yeah, OP, I feel great!

For workouts, it's best to just find the time each day and do what works for you. I NEVER schedule workouts ahead of time, I just figure out what is going to work the best with my schedule and go to the gym on the days that fit the best. Last year I did weights 3 days a week and jogged once or twice. Another thing you can do is utilize weekends, double up and do Saturday/Sunday workouts regularly, then just fit something the M-F. Also dropping cardio for just weights saved me bundles of time. I wasn't full time last year so that made it easier to go walk for an hour, then workout for an hour. This year I'm just fitting them in when I can and my timing is a lot less. I'll do a 30 minute run, or go to my new favorite thing: Rock Climbing Gym! I go, get changed, climb for 20-30 minutes (basically until my hands stop working) and then head out!

Don't get stressed, just the fact that you're in a classroom on your feet 5 days a week will make up for at least 1 workout a week (especially if you're doing Elementary, those people NEVER sit down!) and remember to eat! I started last week and thought I could get away with eating less, only to find out I crash SUPER HARD about 9-10, and 2-3. Snacks are your best friend. Bananas, protein bars [like the granola ones, not the kinda-tasteless bodybuilder ones) jerky, all that good stuff.

Keep at it girl, you got this!

Thank you
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    OP, perhaps I missed it, but what grade do you teach? Is it possible that you could start your own after-school fitness program for students? That would make it so that you would be obligated to work out, and you'd have time set aside. Maybe twice a week, after school for one hour?

I teach 5th grade. I would have to find out if I could start an after school fitness program. The parents would have to agree on it. It sounds like a good idea.
  • cookieinbk82
    Options
    Wow, feeling some animosity against hard working tax paying professionals reminds me of a few of the nursing threads. All OP wanted to know was how to fit exercise into her schedule with her new profession.

Best to you OP in your first year and years to come.

Thank you
  • Morgan5647
    Morgan5647 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    3 days in and I'm tired already!!!!!!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The school that my daughters go to have a dance club. I teach it two days a week during school hours. They perform in a dance festival and at school events. I love it. The school that my daughters go to is a public school called a community school (in Canada), so there is a ton of community involvement. Lots of opportunities for starting up fitness oriented clubs. I do love the school, teachers, and everyone that works there. I was ok with the strike initially, but no longer content with it being unresolved and school not starting again.