Women's sizes and weight

Options
12346»

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ready made clothing doesn't have a sizing standard at least not in the US. I sew a lot of my own clothing. Patterns use an old standard of sizing that hasn't changed one bit over the decades. Most pattern companies don't start at size 0. I still have to remind myself to ignore the sizing on the pattern and instead focus on the measurements for the sizes and the finished garment. I started sewing my own clothing because I felt the ready made clothes were making me looking heavier and frumpier. By making my own items I can adjust the proportions and move darts and seams for a more flattering fit.

I don't find that to be the case at all! I know for example that Simplicity patterns I tend to make a smaller size than Vogue patterns. However what I do like that is consistent across patterns is the measurements and the listed amount of "ease" designed in the patterns. Makes life so much easier to ignore the 0-20 when you can just go "ok...40 bust, 31 waist, 42 hip...Got it"
  • RAWR1202
    Options
    I'm a UK 8 / US 4 / Small at 1.65m (5'5") and about 63kg (somewhere between 135-140lbs). I sometimes have to wear a UK 6 because the size 8 version looks silly on me. When I was 68kg for a while (about 150lbs), I usually wore a UK 10 (US 6 but still borderline S) and at my highest of 71 or 72kg, I was UK 10-12 / M. So for me, every 5kg / 10-15lbs usually equates to a dress size.
    However, it definitely varies between different people just like many shops have different standards for the same size. I think it's a lot more to do with your bone structure, body composition and body type than weight. If it was all down to weight, I doubt I'd fit into 'small' clothes.
  • OldSportOldsport
    OldSportOldsport Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a UK 14 (US 10) at 5'5 (and a half) and weighing 165 lbs. My measurements are almost perfectly in-line with the classic 14 - 41 inch bust, 30 inch waist and 40 inch hips. However when I weighed 200lbs I was...still a 14 (US 10) though occasionally I wore a 16 (US 12) though that might well be due to vanity sizing. I store my fat in some weird ways that means I shift sizes very very slowly.

That said I slipped on two different pairs (from different stores) of size 12 (US 8) jeans a few days ago and they both fit... so maybe there's some change!
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    As has been said, you can't predict clothing size purely by weight.

I'm 5'9" and at 225-235 I was a size 18. Now I'm 206 and a 14. At 195 I'm a 12.
    The smallest I have ever been is a size 6 at around 152. I never thought I would be able to be that small, either, as I was overweight for most of my youth. I think I'd be happy at 160 for the rest of my life, and could maintain that without too much effort.

I want to shop where you buy clothes!!!:smile:
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    5'9" and 168lbs
    I am a UK 10 in vanity sizing and a UK12 in proper for jeans and a UK 14 mostly for tops. I have very broad shoulders so will never be an 8 on the top even if skeletal!
    Everyone is differently built, every clothes make or shop is sligtly differently sized so saying "i'll be a size 8 by Xmas" is prob easy enough if you dont mind shopping around! I bet i could find a pair of UK size 8 jeans to wiggle into if I wanted too.