GMOs, arsenic, toxins

Options
alereck
alereck Posts: 343 Member
I have friends who act like I should be in jail because I do not feed my kids 100% organic. Apparently I’m slowly killing them with GMOs :explode:

Saw this on my Google+ feed = http://www.goldsgym.com/article/which-internet-food-rumors-are-true/

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Lol, they can moan all they want. I've eaten McDonald's since 1972 at least once a week on average (minus my contest preps in the 80's). Currently I should be dead if I listened to all the yahoo's who claim it's poison.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Well we're all killing ourselves by breathing in city air then lol.

Also, we've been modifying food for THOUSANDS of years. That's agriculture for you. I do prefer produce that isn't gigantic though - they do taste better when they are smaller. But other than that, I do not specifically buy organic. I just buy whatever looks good.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yeah, let's not eat the arsenic. :-)
    I hope the find something else to do instead of bothering you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ermahgerd, GMO!!

It's not like our parents grew up in cots painted with lead based paint or anything, right? :wink:
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm much more worried about the environmental consequences of GMOS and pesticides then I am about any consequence they have on my body.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can afford organic. I sure can't unless I see it on sale. But those who can should under the better safe than sorry rule.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    While there isn't really any evidence that GMOs are hazardous, we also can't be 100% sure of their safety. Between those uncertainties and their effect on the environment, I try to buy organic produce where I can.

I think in the bigger picture, it's easy to see that the ways our food have changed over the last decades in general is not good for our health. Whether that's a result of the GMOs, additives, artificial flavors etc. is hard to say, but I'm of the "better safe than sorry" mindset currently.

Definitely not putting down anyone who has a different opinion on the matter, I think everyone should do some research and decide for themselves.
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I prefer GMOs.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    Also, we've been modifying food for THOUSANDS of years

True, but not nearly to the extent that we have in the last fifty. Never before recent history have we modified plant dna so that it can withstand poisonous chemicals so we can spray the crap all over them and then ingest it ourselves. Also now making plants that produce their own toxins to ward off pests, can't wash off a toxin that's in the plant, but anyway...
    Not everyone can afford organic.

Is gardening an option for you? Even with just a 3-4 month growing season here, we get tons of vegetables from the garden for next to nothing, and it's the only way to control what's put into them. Definitely makes up for having to spend a little extra buying produce in the winter months. Just a suggestion.
  • toughmudderMN
    Options

True, but not nearly to the extent that we have in the last fifty. Never before recent history have we modified plant dna so that it can withstand poisonous chemicals so we can spray the crap all over them and then ingest it ourselves. Also now making plants that produce their own toxins to ward off pests, can't wash off a toxin that's in the plant, but anyway...
    Not everyone can afford organic.

Is gardening an option for you? Even with just a 3-4 month growing season here, we get tons of vegetables from the garden for next to nothing, and it's the only way to control what's put into them. Definitely makes up for having to spend a little extra buying produce in the winter months. Just a suggestion.

People cry because food is expensive. Then we invent a way to significantly improve production and everyone cries....
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    And yet, food is still expensive... hmmm.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be like plants and learn how to live off of rain water and sunlight. Problem solved
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should be like plants and learn how to live off of rain water and sunlight. Problem solved

That's it, I'm going paleo.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options

You actually can... it's called growing your own food. :)
  • toughmudderMN
    Options
    Right now corn is the same price that it was in 1996 on a nominal basis. (CZ14 is at 3.5675 right now) If we were to adjust that for inflation it would be 1.5 times higher at around 5.40. ......So the cost of food isn't coming from the costs of the grains.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

True, but welcome to evolution. we have advanced and evolved to be able to do it a greater rate now than ever before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mi6yiy9pDl1rmew1co1_500.gif

tumblr_mv22uqNARm1rmwez8o3_400.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm pro-GMO mostly for economical reasons. Oh, and I work with a passel of toxicologists that keep fear-mongering at bay. :happy:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

That's it, I'm going paleo.

But you got to go hard core. Teepee in yard, using two stones together to make fire for cooking. None of this space age electricity crap