GMOs, arsenic, toxins

Options

Replies

• jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have friends who act like I should be in jail because I do not feed my kids 100% organic. Apparently I’m slowly killing them with GMOs :explode:

Saw this on my Google+ feed = http://www.goldsgym.com/article/which-internet-food-rumors-are-true/

Sanctimommies...

just...
    Ugh.

During my pregnancy and since I had my son, I've avoided any online forum about motherhood/parenting (Babycenter, more like the epicenter/birth of the Sanctimommy)

If you don't cloth-diaper your kid, you're a bad mom
    If you don't breast feed your kid, you're a bad mom
    If you don't make your own baby food from fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, you're a bad mom
    If you feed your kid rice cereal, you're a bad mom

The fact that some of these moms get really mean (and by mean, I'm talking about wishing death on parents, making comments on how they should get their kids taken away, etc) is what blows my effing mind. Gross.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    But what about the toxins in your couch? o.O They are everywhere. It is like aliens planted all this to slowly kill us off so they can take over the planet once we are all dead. Okay, so yes, I prefer more natural products, but in no way do I force my opinion on others, nor comment on anything. I do not eat clean at all, anyways wearing food all over myself. :laugh:

Just let them know their opinions are not needed. :flowerforyou:

Oh and so this
    I have friends who act like I should be in jail because I do not feed my kids 100% organic. Apparently I’m slowly killing them with GMOs :explode:

Saw this on my Google+ feed = http://www.goldsgym.com/article/which-internet-food-rumors-are-true/

Sanctimommies...

just...
    Ugh.

During my pregnancy and since I had my son, I've avoided any online forum about motherhood/parenting (Babycenter, more like the epicenter/birth of the Sanctimommy)

If you don't make your own baby food from fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, you're a bad mom

The fact that some of these moms get really mean (and by mean, I'm talking about wishing death on parents, making comments on how they should get their kids taken away, etc) is what blows my effing mind. Gross.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Do your own research. The only way to combat anyone is to do your own research and make sure you know who is behind the studies.

If you are interested in feeding your children healthy nutritious food and do not know what is true or not then start looking.

The answers may surprise you
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    GMOs are just modified in the lab. Before that, farmers and scientists modified things in greenhouses. And with radiation and carcinogens. Only those weren't regulated. But whether they're GMOs modified by manipulating genetics or by manipulating with radiation and carcinogens, by the time it gets to the table, it's just organic material! The only problem is if you put pesticides and fertilizers on it. Take BIO 101 and you'll learn all this.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    panic.gif
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The reason production of food has gotten more economical, but food prices remain, or are more expensive is because of a few different factors.

1) population growth. This is exponential.
    2) The land is running out of nutrients. We are over-farming. We are going to run out in about 50 years, they are predicting. I don't believe this at all, but that's what I just read. The good thing is, we can eat insects and bugs. So, we wont die, we just have to adapt.
    3) Government subsidies have made your food cheap. You aren't paying the full cost. If you did, you'd be shocked at what it costs.

I don't think the food is bad as it is today. It's mostly fear mongering. But, in all this, there is a small glimmer of truth. And, there are small areas of concern. But, I leave all that to the scientists to figure out.

The land inst running our of nutrients. Farming is significantly more technologically advanced than most realize. We test the macro and micro nutrients after every crop and replace them. We also take advantage of rotational crops to naturally replenish some nutrients naturally. For example Soybeans plants are natural nitrogen producers and corn plants are huge nitrogen users.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Sanctimommies...

just...
    Ugh.

I have found some of my closest friends from Babycenter... we all do what we want and don't care about what others say or do...

Anyway... I want to garden for the satisfaction of doing so... not because I'm worried about roundup... My parents house is practically in the middle of west texas cotton fields... If I'm going to worry about it at anytime, it's when the center pivot would be going while I was outside enjoying the country air not when I'm ingesting minute amounts...
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for posting as I do enjoy seeing all sides of the story.

Regardless, you can post all the studies you want to and it doesn't change the fact that I feel 100x better since I've switched to organic foods, and cut out processed foods (for the most part). That's the only evidence I need.

The overproduction of GMO crops like corn and soy are not necessary, and they do not help drive down the cost of producing foods other than those that are corn and soy based, which is virtually everything that's processed, and junk food.

Maybe if they focused all their efforts on finding a sustainable and economical way to farm real produce, not just stuff that you can process into junk, it would give America some healthier options they can actually afford.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good thing Alcohol kills off all the toxins and brings everything back into perfect balance.

ludgate-alcohol1.gif
    I have yet to meet a problem that alcohol can't fix. :drinker:

I find I get sick more frequently when I reduce my weekly beer consumption. Coincidence? I think not.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks for posting as I do enjoy seeing all sides of the story.

Regardless, you can post all the studies you want to and it doesn't change the fact that I feel 100x better since I've switched to organic foods, and cut out processed foods (for the most part). That's the only evidence I need.

The overproduction of GMO crops like corn and soy are not necessary, and they do not help drive down the cost of producing foods other than those that are corn and soy based, which is virtually everything that's processed, and junk food.

Maybe if they focused all their efforts on finding a sustainable and economical way to farm real produce, not just stuff that you can process into junk, it would give America some healthier options they can actually afford.

Translation: thanks for the info but I am going to believe my anecdotal evidence anyway.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Good thing Alcohol kills off all the toxins and brings everything back into perfect balance.

ludgate-alcohol1.gif
    I have yet to meet a problem that alcohol can't fix. :drinker:
    AMEN!!!
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    Translation: thanks for the info but I am going to believe my anecdotal evidence anyway.

I have not posted any evidence, nor have I made any claims that require it.

For you to assume any evidence I know of is anecdotal simply because you disagree with what I've said here is quite infantile.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

I have not posted any evidence, nor have I made any claims that require it.

For you to assume any evidence I know of is anecdotal simply because you disagree with what I've said here is quite infantile.

from your above post that I quoted:

"Regardless, you can post all the studies you want to and it doesn't change the fact that I feel 100x better since I've switched to organic foods, and cut out processed foods (for the most part). That's the only evidence I need. "
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    You're referring to the fact that I feel better? Yeah, that's about the only direct and true evidence you can get.

Not saying it's true for everyone, just works for me. Case closed.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I haven't figured out if it's ok to eat the Zestar apples from the tree in my backyard yet or not.... You know, because they're a GMO.

Edit for typo as I try to type over my Qdoba burrito.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    <.< GMO's don't actually hurt people, the genes inserted to stop cross pollination hurt bees though. That's only like Monsanto though. Genes are inserted into plants and other organisms all the time, it's called horizontal gene transfer and it's actually a natural process among bacteria and viruses which can then transfer it to plants and animals. We've just found out how to do it manually, we've been doing selective breeding for a long time, so why can't we genetically pick the traits we want expressed?

And the amount of pollutants that come from the water and air kinda render organic useless, if organic uses the water supply it's infected with all kinds of crap. It's cool about reducing the amount of pesticides and chemicals via organic, but GMO's also help limit the amount of pesticides and fertilizers we have to use on crops as well.

>.> Just my undergrad biochemistry two cents.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well its not as simple as just plant whatever you want where ever you want and we will magically have the same food source. The reason america has such a corn based diet is because we have the corn belt (most of the upper middle of the country) that has great conditions for growing corn, cooler temps, sunshine, water, and nitrogen in the soil. You can't just decide you are gonna throw a bunch or orange trees out there and have good results. Citrus grows better in Florida and California, lots and lots of sun, much warmer, totally different soil types.