• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You can blame this guy for GMO's.

enlarge
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    You're referring to the fact that I feel better? Yeah, that's about the only direct and true evidence you can get.

Not saying it's true for everyone, just works for me. Case closed.
    But this same statement is made by drug addicts too. After a "hit" they feel better. Subjective opinion isn't always the best measure of evidence.
    That's why I like actual science.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You're referring to the fact that I feel better? Yeah, that's about the only direct and true evidence you can get.

But this same statement is made by drug addicts too. After a "hit" they feel better. Subjective opinion isn't always the best measure of evidence.

IDEA Fitness member

good point, also how many other lifestyle changes have you made as well that could lead to the same feeling?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Yep! And then there is the placebo effect.
  • CrunchyDad
    CrunchyDad Posts: 66 Member
    Options

The overproduction of GMO crops like corn and soy are not necessary, and they do not help drive down the cost of producing foods other than those that are corn and soy based, which is virtually everything that's processed, and junk food.

Well its not as simple as just plant whatever you want where ever you want and we will magically have the same food source. The reason america has such a corn based diet is because we have the corn belt (most of the upper middle of the country) that has great conditions for growing corn, cooler temps, sunshine, water, and nitrogen in the soil. You can't just decide you are gonna throw a bunch or orange trees out there and have good results. Citrus grows better in Florida and California, lots and lots of sun, much warmer, totally different soil types.

I absolutely agree and understand that, I just know there is more that will grow in the U.S. besides corn and soy.

It goes back to what I was saying about how grocery stores are filled with products that are all processed corn and soy based, which to some may not seem to be an issue, but there's no real nutrition in this food. When the general population thinks it's okay to live off this crap, then it's no wonder why America is the most obese country in the world. In contrast, other countries that do not rely on these crops (and many who also do not allow GMO's) have nowhere near the obesity and overall health problems that we have. Not saying "This is why we're fat!" but it's an interesting correlation.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Did you also lose weight? That's probably why you feel better. I feel great too, but I get to eat wendy's.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

good point, also how many other lifestyle changes have you made as well that could lead to the same feeling?

I have been slowly making lifestyle changes over many years, and many of them have helped to slowly bring me out the "mental fog" that I once had. It has taken a long time but looking back I finally have realized how much better I feel now than I once did. Certainly could be a culmination of things.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

The overproduction of GMO crops like corn and soy are not necessary, and they do not help drive down the cost of producing foods other than those that are corn and soy based, which is virtually everything that's processed, and junk food.

Well its not as simple as just plant whatever you want where ever you want and we will magically have the same food source. The reason america has such a corn based diet is because we have the corn belt (most of the upper middle of the country) that has great conditions for growing corn, cooler temps, sunshine, water, and nitrogen in the soil. You can't just decide you are gonna throw a bunch or orange trees out there and have good results. Citrus grows better in Florida and California, lots and lots of sun, much warmer, totally different soil types.

I absolutely agree and understand that, I just know there is more that will grow in the U.S. besides corn and soy.

It goes back to what I was saying about how grocery stores are filled with products that are all processed corn and soy based, which to some may not seem to be an issue, but there's no real nutrition in this food. When the general population thinks it's okay to live off this crap, then it's no wonder why America is the most obese country in the world. [[/u] In contrast, other countries that do not rely on these crops (and many who also do not allow GMO's) have nowhere near the obesity and overall health problems that we have.[/u] Not saying "This is why we're fat!" but it's an interesting correlation.

So, I still haven't figured it out. Can I eat the zester apples from the tree in my back yard and the veggies out of my garden or not....because you know, GMO. Especially the apples. I don't think Zestars are more than 10 years old, so I'm really confused there.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options

It goes back to what I was saying about how grocery stores are filled with products that are all processed corn and soy based, which to some may not seem to be an issue, but there's no real nutrition in this food. When the general population thinks it's okay to live off this crap, then it's no wonder why America is the most obese country in the world. In contrast, other countries that do not rely on these crops (and many who also do not allow GMO's) have nowhere near the obesity and overall health problems that we have. Not saying "This is why we're fat!" but it's an interesting correlation.

Uh Africa eats a lot of corn products, that the US sends them, but you don't see a super high obesity rate there. It has something to do with the genetic make up of certain races and the types of foods that they eat. Most Asian countries eat hundreds of pounds of rice per person per year and they have a lower obesity rate, rice is pretty low nutrients the same as corn. Oh and PS, GMO's are banned in the UK but they have an obesity rate closing on the US's. It's more than what you're trying to boil it down to.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options

Did you also lose weight? That's probably why you feel better. I feel great too, but I get to eat wendy's.

I also eat whatever I want, in moderation. I am not saying I am 100% organic, or GMO free, or anything really. But I do what I can, where I can to try and continuously improve.

And no, I am still at a higher weight than I once was when I ate much worse.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    It goes back to what I was saying about how grocery stores are filled with products that are all processed corn and soy based, which to some may not seem to be an issue, but there's no real nutrition in this food.

Corn
    Amount Per 100 grams1 cup (166 g)1 cup (166 g)
    Calories 606
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 8 g
    12%
    Saturated fat 1.1 g
    5%
    Polyunsaturated fat 3.6 g
    Monounsaturated fat 2.1 g

Cholesterol 0 mg
    0%
    Sodium 58 mg
    2%
    Potassium 476 mg
    13%

Total Carbohydrate 123 g
    41%
    Protein 16 g
    32%

Vitamin A
    0%
    Vitamin C
    0%
    Calcium
    1%
    Iron
    25%

Vitamin D
    0%
    Vitamin B-6
    50%

Vitamin B-12
    0%
    Magnesium
    52%

Soy
    Amount Per 100 grams1 cup (186 g)1 cup (186 g)
    Calories 830
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 37 g
    56%
    Saturated fat 5 g
    25%
    Polyunsaturated fat 21 g
    Monounsaturated fat 8 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    0%
    Sodium 4 mg
    0%
    Potassium 3,342 mg
    95%

Total Carbohydrate 56 g
    18%
    Dietary fiber 17 g
    68%
    Sugar 14 g
    Protein 68 g
    136%

Vitamin A
    0%
    Vitamin C
    18%

Calcium
    51%

Iron
    162%

Vitamin D
    0%
    Vitamin B-6
    35%

Vitamin B-12
    0%
    Magnesium
    130%

There is some important macro and micronutrients in there... particularly in soy.
    When the general population thinks it's okay to live off this crap, then it's no wonder why America is the most obese country in the world. In contrast, other countries that do not rely on these crops (and many who also do not allow GMO's) have nowhere near the obesity and overall health problems that we have. Not saying "This is why we're fat!" but it's an interesting correlation.

Average BMI's for countries that ban GMO's
    Italy - 23.49
    Austria - 25
    France - 23.56
    Germany - 25.32
    Portugal - 24.59
    Greece - 26.13
    Spain - 24.52
    UK - 26.19
    Switzerland - 24.94
    Norway - 24.69
    Australia - 26.10
    New Zealand - 26.61
    Thailand - 22.34
    Phillipines - 22.35
    Saudia Arabia - 26.11
    Egypt - 26.70
    Algeria - 23.87
    Brazil - 24.79
    Paraguay - 25.32

Most of these countries are considered "at risk" for obesity or moderately obese. The few that aren't considered at risk or moderately obese are third world countries that don't have as much access to food, in general, let alone GMO's.

*just for reference the US average BMI is 27.82.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    Uh Africa eats a lot of corn products, that the US sends them, but you don't see a super high obesity rate there. It has something to do with the genetic make up of certain races and the types of foods that they eat. Most Asian countries eat hundreds of pounds of rice per person per year and they have a lower obesity rate, rice is pretty low nutrients the same as corn. Oh and PS, GMO's are banned in the UK but they have an obesity rate closing on the US's. It's more than what you're trying to boil it down to.

I agree with what you're getting at, there is way more to it. And you can't really place the blame on our food suppliers or food governing agencies, it's the people that need to take their health into their own hands.

At the same time, there is a lot that could be changed in our food system to make it a little easier for people to stay healthy. That's all.
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    There is some important macro and micronutrients in there... particularly in soy

Yes, but they don't put whole corn and soy into processed foods, its HFCS and soy lecithin. They use them instead of things like real sugar so the cost of junk food can be dirt cheap, while anything made from real ingredients is more expensive, so the public naturally is going to buy the cheap junk food.

That is a nice list of countries.... just don't get what your point is about them.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I try to buy organic produce where I can.

But what does "organic" mean? They are allowed to use a certain amount of pesticides on their produce so how "organic" is it really?

I am becoming more aware of what is being put in the foods I consume and I'm honesty wary of items sold in the store. We planted a garden this year and have harvested a ton of produce. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had to go to the store since our garden began producing.

I am not into the hormones that are put in milk (which it's rather funny because companies will pay more for NON hormone milk) so I buy RAW milk from a local farm and I make my own yogurt and ice cream with it (I'm also going to start making my own cottage cheese as well). My eggs come from a house that we pass on our way to the gym every day. I've seen the chickens running around the yard so I know they are 100% free range and they are hands down some of the best eggs I've ever had.

A friend of my husbands is going to hunt deer on our property this year and give us the meat and at some point we plan on purchasing meat directly from a farm (a relative from the place we get our milk is going to be raising cows and if she decides to raise them for butcher she will let us know and let us buy 1/2 a cow).

And it's not that much more expensive. The eggs are $3/doz the milk is $4/gallon and we will be saving a ton of money buy eating all the vegetables that we have frozen and canned so far. I'm not into the pesticides, the chemicals, hormones and CRAP that is in food today. I question why certain diseases have become more prevalent. I wonder why it is that young girls are developing faster and BIGGER than when I was growing up.

*shrugs* to each their own.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

There is plenty we could grow, but not as economically as corn.

Corn is a carbohydrate which is an essential nutrient. It also has some iron, magnesium, and B-6 in it. No one food has all the nutrients you could ever need so you can't blame corn for not having them all either. Thats the importance of a balanced diet regardless of what the most economical crop in your area is. I can agree that some of the products the corn is processed into are not the best options, but not just because they come from corn.

I believe Mexico actually passed the U.S. in having the highest obesity rate recently.

I think the American lifestyle has alot more to do with obesity than a corn based diet. We are in a first world country and I think we incorperate less activity in our daily life than people from other countries, even other first world ones.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    There is some important macro and micronutrients in there... particularly in soy

Yes, but they don't put whole corn and soy into processed foods, its HFCS and soy lecithin. They use them instead of things like real sugar so the cost of junk food can be dirt cheap, while anything made from real ingredients is more expensive, so the public naturally is going to buy the cheap junk food.

That is a nice list of countries.... just don't get what your point is about them.

I made a note that I was not finished with the post when it got accidentally submitted. Please review the post.

You know... you're just not worth this much effort. Go on believing propaganda.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I question why certain diseases have become more prevalent. I wonder why it is that young girls are developing faster and BIGGER than when I was growing up.

Hard to say, but we also have much better understanding and therefor diagnosis of diseases every year, whereas they may have just gone undiagnosed in the past. The second statement seems subjective.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I question why certain diseases have become more prevalent. I wonder why it is that young girls are developing faster and BIGGER than when I was growing up.

Hard to say, but we also have much better understanding and therefor diagnosis of diseases every year, whereas they may have just gone undiagnosed in the past. The second statement seems subjective.

Yep, technology can't be ignored as a potential factor for the increase in diagnosis of disease. I mean, that's kind of what it's meant to do, right?
  • CrunchyDad
    Options
    But what does "organic" mean?

It just means they cannot use synthetic pesticides (I believe fertilizer also, would have to check) and no GMO's for produce.

I still prefer growing my own also, because I use NO pesticide, fertilizer or chemical of any kind on my garden, which cannot be said about organic produce from the store.
    You know... you're just not worth this much effort. Go on believing propaganda.

Thanks! You've finally realized no one is going to change anyone's mind in this, or any thread for that matter. You go on doing the same.