Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Bump. Back later to set goals. Sue in SD
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi - my first time in this group; I look forward to the support and friendship as I (we) move along. My goals for September are:
    1) prep flower beds and plant mums and peonies.
    2) not gain weight this month. We are taking a trip to Mexico with friends and family, so just holding my own would be great.
    3) be cheerful, courteous and helpful during Fall Fest. Our small town has an annual Fall Fest, my business is very involved and I am vp of our local Chamber of Commerce, but I don't like it! It is long and involved and not my thing!
    I look forward to being a part of this and working towards my goals. Daworley.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Meg,

just read your drama. i guess Tanya is a daughter of yours? I missed the beginning of the drama.

I think that the family should get together and try to talk some sense in the young couple.
    Unfortunately fathers in the making have a tendency to cheat to run away from their responsibility.
    Mothers in the making also are not ready to face the life-long responsibility they acquired because their hormones took over.

But the reality is there for both of them, and instead of making more mistakes they should face what will be the rest of their lives.

Some serious parenting classes would be in order. And from your part their should be support in the sense of giving good advice but not solving their problems for them. They will never grow up otherwise.

If only we would know in our youth how life really works, instead of getting hung up on love dramas and jealousy fists. .
    Anne
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day. I'm not sure I believe that these are true, but they are funny:

:happy:

All too rarely, airline attendants make an effort to make the in-flight "safety lecture", and their other announcements a bit more entertaining. Here are some real examples that have been heard or reported:

1. On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said, "Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights. This is for your comfort, and to enhance the appearance of your flight attendants."

2. On landing the stewardess said, "There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out off this airplane."

3. As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington National, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"

4. After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Memphis, a flight attendant on a Northwest flight announced, "Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as hell everything has shifted."

5. "In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, masks will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child, pick your favorite."

:laugh:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good evening! It has been a good day. I slept in this morning which was awesome! I missed breakfast time because I slept late but had gotten a bagel from Panera Bread yesterday so had a late breakfast with it. After getting some steps in, I baked oatmeal banana muffins and ended up making my lunch out of them YUM!!!! I got a little hungry around 3 p.m. so had some sardines and crackers. (Don't judge; they're full of protein and healthy fats!) After more steps and a round with Jillian Michaels, I cooked a ham and swiss quiche and served it with sliced tomatoes with a fruit salad and banana muffin on the side. Also very yum! I also cooked pork chops to have for dinners this week. I'll have a repeat of tonight's dinner for lunch two days this week. I'm getting ready to finish out my steps (1600 more to go) then see if I want the snack that I've already logged.

Joyce - My son seems to be doing well at school. He is being a social butterfly, it seems. He called this afternoon to tell me that he was stranded in the middle of Lake Norman because his boat was out of gas. He wasn't particularly forthcoming, but I gather that he was out with a group and there was more than one boat since someone had gone to get gas. Thank you for asking! As for me, I'm doing pretty well without him here. I had a couple of bad days right after I took him, but there was also a serious health scare with one of closest friends that contributed to my distress.

Anne- I take Melatonin at night along with an anti-anxiety med that usual puts me off to sleep pretty quickly; I have trouble staying asleep though. The past week or so, I've had a lot of trouble falling asleep plus the waking up in the middle of the night thing. Last night, I finally realized that I wasn't having a problem with my mind racing but that I was quite literally in pain. I got up and took something for that and slept very well afterwards. It makes my mood not good and makes me fuzzy headed when I get so sleep deprived.

Thanks for all of the supportive comments! Sometimes recognizing that I am depressed helps me overcome it. I've had a really good day today. Now we'll see if it holds out while I'm at work.

I know I missed replying to some folks. Sorry!! Welcome to the newcomers!!

Carol in hot NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, I have gone back to the start of the September thread and have four pages of notes. This may be a very long post, so brace yourself, or skip to the next post.

Firstly, a big welcome to ALL the new ladies! I hope you find this group of friends to be as wonderful and accepting as I did. Check back often and let us know how things are going in your life.

Joyce, fantastic news about the reappraisal of your rings.

Amanda, I hope you recover quickly and this solves your health problems. :flowerforyou:

Michele, I tried Afterbite. No luck. I noticed that the active ingredient is bicarbonate of soda. Thought that was interesting. I did try the hair dryer trick, and have to say that it seems to be helping the most. That and apple cider vinegar have gotten me through the day.

Denise, I hope you find that weight loss helps your joint problems. I sure did.

Cynthia, my heart breaks for you and your poor doggie!:brokenheart:

Chris, did you figure out the ticker graphics yet? I wish I could remember how, but I can't at the moment. I bet someone can help.

Cindy, I think the bugs are winning! The bites used to be just around my ankles, but they have spread. Now all over my feet and legs below the knees, and a few higher up. I dont know what is going on.

Karen, thanks for the suggestion. No luck with the athletes foot/jock itch spray.

Barbie and YannieJannie, yes, I take Benadryl every night for my allergies and it did help some last night, but I had to get up and take more.

Tldavis5555, what part of Kentucky are you from? My hubby's family comes from the north part of the state and he still owns some land there, near Glencoe.

Meg, I'm so sorry to hear about your stressful day. I totally understand about not letting DD come back home. I did let my son come back a few times and it was always a disaster. I rushed to Walgreens today but they said they didn't have a spray antihistamine. She recommended ivarrest, which I bought and rushed to the car to apply it, then had to rush back inside to wash it off in the bathroom. It burned my skin! Even my hand was red and swollen from rubbing it on. Still is, 10 hours later. It made everything worse! I think I must have been allergic to something in it. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow. I'm not positive these bites are really bites at all, since they are spreading. I've even got some on my tummy now! They're also swollen, festered, and blistered. And ugly.

Anne, I love glass art too. I'm also not crazy about Chihuly himself, but love some of his installations. They have a huge assembledge of his glass at the hospital where I had my heart caths done. It's beautiful. But I do realize that he does very little of the work himself, if any. He has peons for that.

Softblonde, you might try setting small goals, even just daily goals, so it's not so overwhelming. That's what helped me.

Liz, my scale is my friend. I weigh first thing (after the bathroom) every morning. It gives me input that I can use all day. If it's up, I know to try a little harder. If it's down, I'm happy.

Lesley, welcome! What is your greyhound's name? My whippet's name is Molly. I LOVE sight hounds!

Joyce, Happy Anniversary! Sorry to hear about Charlie's hand problems.

Pat, best of luck with your eye surgery! Let us know when you're back.

Yanniejannie, I've never seen a 3' marigold! Wow!

I know there was more I wanted to comment on, but I'm afraid the darn ipad will eat my post before I can get it sent. By the way, it somehow autocorrects the word TO into YO, so if you see me say yo, I really meant yo say to. I'm sure I didn't catch them all.

Have a great evening everyone!

Sylvia
    Going back to blow dry my feet.
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm essentially a newbie to this group, baking away here in CA's High Desert foothills, lol. Even at over 4000 ft elevation it's still 107 degrees today! Mountain biking and hiking are on hold 'til it cools down a bit. My goals for September are:

Yoga 2X per week (joining a new class)
    Stationary bike :20+ at least 3X per week
    Floor work/resistance work for :20+ at least 2X per week
    Sticking to the menu plan

I have 18 lbs to lose. which is 10 more than my lowest recorded MFP weight. The good news is that I lost at least 40 lbs 3 years ago and have only gained 8 back!! In all the decades I've spent "dieting" I've never maintained my weight loss that successfully for so long. (Thank you, MFP!) I'd been following a gluten-free paleo plan but have slipped in some non-paleo grains and other stuff a bit, hence the gain. I'll be working hard to stay the course now.

Oh yeah, I'm 62. Whoot!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Could you have poison ivy instead of bug bites?! That sounds like what you are describing and, if so, scratching is only going to make it spread.
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Good to 'see' everyone again and welcome to so many new ones. I haven't been logging too well and have had up and down days. Not sure what is going on but just feeling tired and trying to get through each day. So far it hasn't been too bad with the weight, basically gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds.

I am just about certain I will be retiring next year so I think that may be part of it. I know I want to retire but in the back of my mind I wonder if it is a good idea. My DH is retired and will be 70 next year so we want to be able to spend as much time together as possible. I don't enjoy my work but it's not really a bad job, the people are nice and the pay is good. I have been able to work from home 2 days a week so that is good but I do have to drive about 1 1/2 hours to work and back so that is 3 hours driving on the days I go in. Never seem to get to bed before 11:00 or so and have to get up at 4:45. :yawn: With winter coming, it means driving in the dark both ways and my eyesight isn't that good when driving in the dark and there are so many deer along the roads. Makes for a tense drive. I will be eligible in February but will probably work until the spring.

I've been reading all of the post all along, usually at work. One of my goals for September is to try to post more often. :flowerforyou:

I am typing this while watching the Washington Nationals baseball game and my DH keeps talking to me so I'm not going to respond to others now as it's hard to concentrate. :wink:

Sept. goals:
    Exercise daily - use the Bodyblade and purposely walk at a minimum
    Get to bed by 10:00 so hopefully get more sleep
    Regularly doing stretching exercises (3 x 4 times a week)
    Back to logging food daily
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Hi all and welcome to the new ladies. I didn't take notes while reading so forgive me for not personalizing all my responses.

Meg ... sorry you had a stressful day, but please do not try and locate any sharp objects!

Cynthia ... praying for you and your fur baby.

Amanda ... prayers for a quick and complete healing.

Sylvia ... make that doctor's call! Are you possibly allergic to some plants like sumac or poison ivy?

To the gal who avoided the scale this morning .... I too did not want to see what the damage was today. But made myself do it. Anne is right ... better to deal with a small gain today as compared to a train wreck later on!

Hormone fluctuations are going to be the death of me! Down 6 pounds then up 4 then down another 2 to see it jump back to the original weight! Argh! I tried going up in calories ... figured out BMR/TDEE... but seemed too high and I was eating OVER the higher number. Don't want to do 1200 because just that number alone makes me overeat. So I'm picking 1500 calories this month (consistent with one calculator that set my BMR lower due to a high BMI. We shall see ...

August goals ... nope, didn't achieve any of them!
    September goals ...
    1. Log everything and stay on calorie target
    2. Spend one hour every day sorting out basement until organized.
    3. Get back to weight training at least 1x per week.
    4. Start walking after work with husband at least 2x per week ... HE ASKED TO DO THIS WITH ME!
    5. Send a note of encouragement to at least one person 1x per week.

Beth in Western New York
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Alison - great shopping. I stopped at the Salvation Army this morning and thought of you. I found this one shirt (not like I needed more) but I really really liked the colors in it so for $3.50 I bought it. I'm sure the CNA's at your FIL's place understand that calling people "those minorities" was just the way of the times. She probably didn't give it a lot of thought

Went to the extremepump class, then the Salvation Army, then to Sams to get this cheese that's on sale. They were giving out samples. I tried the sample of the kale salad and I thought it was very good. I may very well buy it for the next Rummikub game and take that, just not put the dressing on but have it on the side. They were giving out samples of apple cake and an apple fritter. Why oh why did I take them? I only had about 1/2 of the sample of the apple cake but I had the sample of the apple fritter. Admitted, it wasn't much, and it was enough to remind me that I really don't care for those sorts of things, but why did I have it? They were giving out samples of gala or fugi apples with this caramel sauce so I just asked if I could have a sample without the sauce.

Just got back from the vet. Needed to take Lexi for bloodwork to be sure that the radioactive isotope treatment worked. She gained 6oz! We're sure it worked, but I'm sure they need written verification.

Denise - yet ANTOHER North Carolinean!!! Welcome!

Cynthia - please keep us informed about your doggie. How scary!

Sylvia - I do hope you get a break from all that itching. I know how annoying it can be, not to mention worrysome. I agree with yanniejanne, get it checked out by a professional

Marcia and Karen and Erica and tldavis - welcome!

tldavis - if I don't exercise in the morning, it doesn't get done. Sounds like you're the same way

softblondechi - welcome! Keep posting and you won't be able to help keeping your goals

Liz - welcome. I'm addicted to sugar and fats (like butter and sugar). One thing I've found SOMETIMES helps is if I have something bitter like vinegar on my salad or lemon in my tea. I wish you the best of luck. It IS hard, huh?

lesley - of course you can join! Glad to have ya with us. I bet your greyhound won't mind longer walks!

Zee - welcome!

bmullers - welcome! It's so great to have people from all over the world joining us. Everyone has a different perspective and way of doing things. I know that I learn so so much

Joyce - happy early anniversary. How many years will it be?

Pat - Corky Bells is closed!!!! Oh no, Good luck on your surgery

yanniejannie - so glad to hear Gwen is doing so much better

Meg - I have a suspicion that this saga will never end. ((((hugs to you))))

Daworley - welcome to a wonderful group! How nice that you'll be going to Mexico. How long will you be gone?

Sylvia - so glad the hairdryer trick is working, even if it is only temporarily. I one time bought Jessica some vitamins at Walgreens. I explained that she's allergic to coconut and they said "may contain coconut or palm oil". they said they'd let me return the vitamins if she had an allergic reaction to them. Fortunately, she didn't. but they would let me return them even if they were opened. If you still have the ivarrest, they might let you return it. I'm so sorry that it didn't work for you. How frustrating! NC Carol had a great suggestion, it might be poison ivy.

pen2u - welcome! Congrats on that loss!

Welcome to anyone else new that I may have missed.

Michele in NC
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I noticed Carol mentioned Poison Ivy. I was also thinking along that line - poison ivy or oak, or was going to ask if you've had measles as a child. I've know several adults that got them later in life if they had it when they were very young or not a bad case of it the first time.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place!

Barbie:smile: Thank you so much for keeping this thread going, you are awesome:flowerforyou: !
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    I totally forgot to ask this before.

Any foodies -- I had some chickpeas in my salad tonight. One question, tho. I had dried chickpeas which I soaked. Why is it that those chickpeas aren't as soft as the ones that you get in a can? Is there something else that I need to do? I guess I soaked the first batch for about 8 hours. Do I maybe need to soak them for longer?

I don't know what it is, Lance can be so very loving, he'll let me brush him, pick him up, cuddle with him. But give him the insulin? Forget it! I do have a syringe filled since the last two mornings he would brush up against me while I was going to the bathroom. If he does that tomorrow a.m. I'll be ready to give him insulin. If he gives me ANY problem at all, I'm just not going to bother. It isn't worth it.

Honestly, I question how diabetic he is. When I don't give him the insulin, I don't see a significant increase in the amount of water that's drunk or urine output

Previously, he needed time to get used to me, but then he'd let me give him his insulin. Not this time, tho. But then again, I have to remember that he's been thru a lot of changes. First he was at the place (Ryan's) where Jessica was living, then he was at Kris' for a few months, now he's at Jess' new place. Shadow seems to have adjusted to the new place, but it seems that Lance is having more of a problem.

Michele in NC
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, this is possibly going to sound strange, but it really works for bug bites and may work for poison oak/ivy if that is what it turns out to be. It's an old Native American remedy I learned from a botany professor that I have used for kissing bug, red ant, bee, wasp, sand flea and mosquito bites:

Make a poultice out of Bugler brand (or similar, unflavored) tobacco and a little cool water. Mush it up with your fingers (wear gloves as it stains a little) until it is moist but still holds together somewhat, and apply to the bite(s.) Leave it pressed into place for a few minutes; you'll feel it get very warm as it draws out the poison. Keep it in place until it seems to have cooled down. Repeat as needed. Try to ignore the stains on your legs, lol. It's worth it!
  • retireesmith
    retireesmith Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group, but I think I fit.
    I'm definitely 50+ and working on becoming healthier. I retired 4 years ago and I'm now working on me. I've lost some weight but need to lose more. Intentional exercise is part of my daily routine, and I no longer mind/dread/fear that, so I see that as an improvement.
    I'm enjoying my need to buy smaller clothes (a relative term, I know), and I try to move the no-longer-fitting clothes out of the house as soon as possible so I'm not "tempted" by them to let up on my journey. And I do mean journey. I've tried diets, and they don't work, so I see myself as changing my lifestyle. Eating plans and exercise choices are those that I can stick to for the rest of my life; if I find some aspect isn't working, I move on to another option and see if that will fit. No sense adopting a lifestyle I won't stick with or enjoy.
    My health overall is good, but I do have some problems, so I'm working to take a more active role in improving my health.
    Let's journey on!
    Madonna
  • scoutit
    Options
    Newbie here. Bumping this great thread and thinking about September. I used MFP a couple of years ago to lose a chunk of weight, but started working full time at a foodie type office about a year ago. I try to bring my lunch and stay strong but it is so very hard to eat clean when there is a constant flow of treats available, and very little time for exercise. An added problem is medication that seems to want me to gain weight...1200 calories does not seem to do the job anymore. The result is ten pounds gained over the last year, creeping up slowly. So now I'm back to MFP again, trying to get back on track. All office strategies welcome!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am glad that you are considering that it is time for the doctor. To be going from your feet and now your abdomen and blistering just doens't sound good at all

Meg, your post had enough drama in it for all of us. I am so, so osrry your daughter is like this. When we are young and have our children this is not the thing we think about that our later years will bring.

To all the ones suffering from some degree of depression, try thinking of one thing a day or even week or month that is good. Smile, laugh.

Welcome to the new ones here and may you find all the help and more here with us ladies!

Tonight we decided to go to Red Lobster instead of going tomorrow night when our anniversary is. Charlie knew that Michelle could go with us tonight. And she was more than willing to go. As she told her dad, when you take some one out to eat and tell them to order whatever they want, you are giving them permission to get whatever they want. Now she usually does but we had been talking about our ex SIL and our still present SIL. They like to eat big. But Michelle has eaten with us enough times that she doesn't dare order something expensive. She likes to order last to see what kind of prices we are spending. I don't know why she was going through some of her pictures today but she found an old video of me that she had so wonderfully filmed without me knowing it. She wanted to really show me how much weight I had lost. But it was a video of us ladies starting to clean out my Mom's apartment when she was getting ready to go to hospice. We knew that we didn't have a long time to give up the apartment or pay another months rent. And yes, I was a walrus walking on two feet. My ladies were hardly distinguishable from my abdomen. They just all blended in as one. She is my biggest cheerleader along with you guys.

Do you ladies have problems with getting the chin and neck hairs out???? I have been using Walmarts brand of Oil of Olay Regenerist. I use it on my face and neck. Well it is much easier to pull those hairs out now. I still grow as many, they just come out easier.

See you on the flip side!!! Joyce, Indiana. Oh it will be 42 year anniversary tomorrow.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Barbie – how cute is the graphic!!! Thanks for keeping us going!

Anamika – welcome back good to hear from you. :smile:

Joyce – what a fun shopping trip!!! :wink:

Amanda – so glad that darn gallbladder is gone – now I hope you feel better!!!:smile:

Heather – I hate finding good shoes too! I have a pair of black flats that are really cute and I am hoping that they will go with whatever I find…

Alison – hope your roast was good! And you really scored at good will.

Denise, Chris, Marcia, discoqueen, Erica, tldavis5555, softblondechi, bmullers, pen2u, Liz, lesleychev, Madonna, scoutit– welcome

Cynthia – sending good thoughts to you and your furbaby – Levi sends a woof too…

Sylvia - that sounds awful!!! I hope that your itch gets better! Good for you for staying away from the bacon.:bigsmile:

Karen – great sept. goals

YannieJannie – well I am a tiny bit more dressed up that you on most days, but often I have clients coming here, so Landsend shorts or hemmed jean shorts and a tee shirt are pretty normal summer attire. :glasses:

Meg – so wish you could send us some rain! So glad you can not find those sharp objects… Oh my your DD has herself in a pickle… rant anytime you want…

Joyce – happy anniversary!!! I am sure you will give your DH all the support you can.

Carol – you sound much better! And you took the words out of my mouth to Sylvia – I do not think you have bug bites at all!

Kayak kutie – when to retire is a big big decision.

Beth – love the goal about sharing encouragement:love:

today was crazy ---my plans for the day did not go with anyone else's plans for my day... so I did their plans! my DGD (darling god daughter) is off at college her folks dropped her off in Boston at MCPHS on Thursday and she is homesick..she did not want to talk but we texted for an hour..my gardening client needed help with a number of things so 3 hours of that and then I was determined to have my eggplant!!! Dinner at 8pm...:grumble: but it was so good... I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times
    Walk 100 miles 6.55 done = 93.45 left
    Do 4 errands walking (from home or a 15 minute walk from the place the car is parked)
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week

Kim from N. California