WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    10547868_10203885382128278_7078546971448846101_o Me 2011 I hope this works. It's a picture of me in 2011 that I took from a video Michelle made. This shows the old me. I started my diet in Oct 2012 and this was 2/2011

I am angry at Directv right now. Well I don't know if I am angry at Directv or our local NBC affilliate. But they can'tr each an aggreement so NBC is off the air for us. I did manage to watch American Ninja Warrior on my Ipad. Tomorrow I will watch America's got talent. But Im not sure if I can get Wheel of fortune and Jeopardy but I think those are reruns right now.

Joyce, Indiana

Nope it didn't work. Do I need a jPG or one of those initial things in front of it?
  • MimiPersists
    MimiPersists Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I finally (finally!) checked on how my favorite forum folks (had to do it. sorry :laugh: ) were doing. When I looked at Women Ages 50+ I thought, Oh, good, only 2 pages to catch up on. Then I realized, we're in September now. 5 more pages. Aaargh. I read just the last page and it's like picking up a book and starting in the middle. I'll have to go back to the beginning to hear what's happening in all your lives.

Back to August, I wanted to say hello to Sue...hoping that your DH is feeling better. I've heard kidney stones can be very painful. Rori, I wanted to wish you a relaxing trip. Now, onto September's last page (and skipping so much that I do want to catch up on), Cynthia, I'm thinking about your poor pup. I hope he (or she?) is doing better. Poor miserable pup.

I'm down in Walnut Creek again. Had 2 doctor's visits this morning. Honestly, is this what being in your 60s is all about? :noway: I know it isn't but I do feel as though I spend half my life lately in doctors offices. I got a tiny pre-cancerous spot burned off - at the edge of my upper lip. Now, that is going to look lovely. :ohwell:

After seeing the skin doc, I went to the Ophthalmologist and got a big surprise. My vision has been rotten the last year or so. I figured it was just from getting older. Turns out I have cataracts. I'm so excited. Funny, huh? Well, I AM excited because after cataract surgery, I expect my vision will be amazing!!! Better than it's been in 50 years. :happy:

Oh me, oh my. I have to laugh abut what constitutes excitement these days.

I'm worried about my mom. When I got home, she told me that she'd had chest "discomfort" for about half an hour followed by a couple of hours of atrial fibrillation. I want her to be healthy for a very long time. She called the doc (Kaiser - not my fave). The nurse she talked to said if it happened again, she should go to the ER. :noway: She has an appointment for 9/18. If the docs aren't worried enough to have her come in, I guess I shouldn't be either. But it's still scary.

No matter how old your parents are (my mom's 88), they're still your parents. Couldn't we all just live forever, please? I'm a Christian but have a puny, little faith. I have friends who seem to have faith as strong as a rock. (I say, "seem" because nobody can ever know what's in a person's heart and soul - perhaps not even the person herself.) I envy their faith.

Ahhh. On to happier thoughts. I ate almost nothing but pre-packaged prepared foods today. What? That's happy? LOL. You know what? It doesn't taste anywhere near as good as simple food that I fix myself. That's not just me psyching myself out. It's true. Even my mom, who says she is a lazy cook (and thus purchases said 'ready to heat and eat' food, agreed that it wasn't even close to being as tasty as simple things you fix yourself.

That's an NSV for me. I knew it was true, but today reinforced what I already knew.

G'night and sweet dreams (or sweet awakenings, as the case may be)
    Mimi
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Meg - don't forget to take care of YOU
    leith, Denise - welcome!
    Sylvia - for future knowledge, there is this lotion called "Ivy Block". I got it at CVS previously. You can put it on before you think you might be exposed to p.i. and it really does help to keep the p.i. from getting on you. I know it's too late now, but just to know for the future. Honestly, I don't know if I could ever use the tobacco remedy, either. Not because I question if it would work, but because I have such a strong aversion to any tobacco. Even in my young age, before the ACS related smoking to death, I related the two. My mother was a heavy smoker and one of my strongest memories of her was her always having a cigarette. So glad you got some relief. Wonder what the predisone is supposed to do? An intiinflamatory, maybe?

dianne - I've been on the platuau for quite a while, too. I'm beginning to think this is just the weight my body wants me to be at, since almost nothing I do will drop it. But that pesky weight comes on so so fast.

Diane - I had forgotten about the feliway! I believe we have a sample of it. Thanks for reminding me of it. This morning I was petting Lance and felt this "lump". I wasn't sure if it was a mat or what. He backed away from me as soon as I tried to grasp that area. It turned out that it was just a thick part of his collar. Lance has two "safe places". Whenever he's in them, even tho I can see him, if I go to even pet him, I get hissed at and swiped at. So I just know that if he's in either of those spaces, just leave him alone. Any other time he's so very loving. Like just now I went to the bathroom and he was rubbing up against me. On the days when I don't give him his insulin, I honestly don't see any increase in water comsumption, urine output, he's not gaining weight, etc. So I'm wondering if it isn't possible that he's gone into remission. I do need to buy them more food (I just like to have a bag here) plus food for our cats, so I'm definitely going to check out the Feliway. I know we have a sample, but I seem to recall that it's some sort of wipe because I remember thinking "oh, we can just wipe down the inside of the cage when one of them goes to the vet". Believe me, I would rather pay $20 and not have to fight him for the insulin. He needs it but I won't put myself in jeopardy. I love finding bargains at the Goodwill or Salvation Army. I do find that the Goodwill by me is usually higher priced that the SA. Years ago I got this set of "12 days of Christmas" china and at the SA I found a full set of glasses to match for $7. Replacements wanted almost $2 per glass, that would have been $24. What a good buy! The glasses I got were brand new, never used. I just had to wash them good

Joyce - remember I was having trouble posting pics of our pool? Well, I found that the easiest way is to add it to my library here rather than posting. I could never figure out how to do it and no one told me. So now that's where I'll post my pics and people will just have to click on my photo to see it. Direct TV just had some sort of problem with a station in my area, too. Can't remember if it was NBC or CBS, but someone wasn't broadcasting.

mimi - Vince just had cataract surgery. When they did the second eye his comment was "this is the first time ever that I've been looking forward to surgery" He's 20/20 in one eye and the other is still healing. However, he will need reading glasses for close up work. But his eyesight is much much much better. I know you'll do well. His eyesight before the surgery was pretty bad, let me tell you. We're talking coke glasses here.

Well, I will make this short and sweet since right now I'm on my laptop.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~ well I am down another lb:bigsmile: I dont care but that slimming tea works, I will use it in spurts,but will keep using it..
    my DF stopped down before I left for work yesterday and gave me an earful.. he is still yelling at me for calling his Dr. if I want to know anything talk to him, he is hurt that I went behind his back. so I apologized ,but he said my DB and I cant talk to anyone without talking to him first..
    got a voicemail on my phone last night from DB that they are coming home today and that we lost a dear friend.. oh lord who is it now? my DB 50th birthday is tomorrow so will maybe have a small get together this weekend for him ..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Beautiful sunny weather here in the south of England.:happy: I'm so glad it is nice weather for our DGC 's visit.:bigsmile:

DH has gone out to get his hair cut snd to do some shopping.:bigsmile: This is very unusual as this is his writing time of day and it is sacrosanct. :tongue: I think he has finally clocked that I was getting a bit stressed out and didn't really appreciate that he has been out three full days at sporting fixtures. I was a bit narky at him last evening and he was so upset he broke a cup! By the time I came back from the beer tasting, which was an excellent talk by a very local boutique brewery, I was in a better mood.:laugh: I know everything will get done and it doesn't matter if it doesn't, but I feel better if I think he is pulling his weight and his presence just calms me down.:bigsmile: :love: Today I am going to get the worst of the weeds out of the way. I can do some seed sowing while DGS is here and he can "help". :laugh: DH will mow the lawn and pick MORE plums. He prepares them for the freezer.:love: It has been a BUMPER year for plums. This morning I got DGS'S bed pulled out and made up with his dinosaur linen :laugh: and sorted out the cot for DGD. Set up the high chair and put DGS'S booster chair on. So we are ready for when they sll arrive tonight! Oh, and I've got the smelly cheese, (a goat's milk Camembert) out of the fridge to warm up! ! !:bigsmile: Must make some more watercress puree to add to the soup.

Feeling better now!:laugh:

Mimi - sorry to hear about your mum.:flowerforyou: Sounds like she has a problem. My mother called the emergency services for a similar pain and they had to break in. She ended up with a triple bypass at the age of 81 and did amazingly well.

MA - I think it was you with the father who had the kidney op. Sounds incredible that they did that without an anaesthetic! ! ! ! Glad he is doing well. If you read Strong Women Stay Young it has some good suggestions for rehabilitation exercises for old people. Very encouraging. We can regain a lot of function at any age and there is such a lot we can do at home instead of having to go to physio.

Michele - with the chick peas I am not very fussy about skins, so some would have them still on and some not. But it's ages since I cooked any. I might have a go again as you've reminded me.:flowerforyou: I adore hummus and make a slightly more slimming version without oil. But it does have tahini. I only make it very occasionally as I find it difficult to resist. I eat it with crudités.
    The soup I am making for my DS and DDIL is cannellini beans from tins and watercress. Sauteed onion of course and Christmas turkey stock. I think it needs a drop of lemon juice.

Right, must get dressed and on with things,

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

We had a wonderful day yesterday. We went out to lunch and then some shopping for our puppy Brian. I went over calories but will even that out today with exercise and mindful eating.

DeeDee, Brian is precious. He is recovering from his dental nicely. Last night he went to his room without a fuss at all for the first time. Yay! We bought a name tag for him along with the grooming tools and items I asked you about. I will let you know how that goes in a few weeks when it time for his "spa day".

Meg, hugs for you!

Cynthia, prayers for your fur baby.

Sylvia, ouch! I used to get poisen ivy all the time as a kid, no fun! Hugs!

Barbie, starting to read The Happiness Project now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Welcome new ladies! Hugs to all I missed.

Cindy in OK
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – what a drag, but glad you know, yes it can be transferred by a dog… WASH you clothes, bedding, towels or you can give it to yourself. :smile: I had a very bad case a few years back, and now seem to get it easier...

Karen – welcome, I lived in Bellows Falls, Vermont for a short time in 1980 – Loved it – where do you live?

Heather – I love falafels, :love: had a friend who made them everytime I was over and I have not made them; but I have his recipe…hmmmm think they were baked…. I will be looking that up.

MA – how exciting that your son is coming our way! And teaching him to drive there will barely help him here – when I was in the UK I found driving on the other side of the road was so so hard! What a tough time with your Dad – so glad he is doing so much better.

381Annie – sounds like you are taking the steps to re-invent yourself.

YannieJannie – Lean Cuisine and other of the “frozen” meals have great names and pictures but rarely measures up. :drinker: I am happier with something out of my freezer

Margaret – what a cute picture!

DeeDee – how exciting a month of no repair/remodel/painting people!!!

8of10- welcome

Meg – take care!

Lkeith2 – bump is a “place holder” so it is easier to find your place in the thread.

So here is the eggplant recipe - It could be made healthier with low fat coconut milk and with low sodium stir fry sauce....

Quick Braised Eggplant with Coconut Milk and scallions
    1/8 cup canola oil
    1 medium onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 1/4 pounds Asian or Italian eggplants (about 4), cut into 3-by-1/2-inch pieces
    1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, sake or water
    1/2 cup Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, stirred just before using
    2 teaspoons Asian chili paste
    4 large scallions, white and tender green parts only, cut into 3/4-inch lengths
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or a wok until small puffs of smoke begin to appear. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry over high heat until the onion is just crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Add the eggplant and stir-fry until browned in spots and just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the Chinese cooking wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce, water, coconut milk, cornstarch and chili paste. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is very tender and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes longer. Add the scallions and cook for 30 seconds. Serve the eggplant hot.
    Makes 3, 1 cup servings 257calories; 16 carbs, 19 fat, 2 protein, 4,973 sodium

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times
    Walk 100 miles -6.55 = 93.45 to go
    Do 4 errands walking (from home or a 15 minute walk from the place the car is parked)
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week

Kim from N. California
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sylvia – what a drag, but glad you know, yes it can be transferred by a dog… WASH you clothes, bedding, towels or you can give it to yourself. :smile: I had a very bad case a few years back, and now seem to get it easier...

Karen – welcome, I lived in Bellows Falls, Vermont for a short time in 1980 – Loved it – where do you live?

Heather – I love falafels, :love: had a friend who made them everytime I was over and I have not made them; but I have his recipe…hmmmm think they were baked…. I will be looking that up.

MA – how exciting that your son is coming our way! And teaching him to drive there will barely help him here – when I was in the UK I found driving on the other side of the road was so so hard! What a tough time with your Dad – so glad he is doing so much better.

381Annie – sounds like you are taking the steps to re-invent yourself.

YannieJannie – Lean Cuisine and other of the “frozen” meals have great names and pictures but rarely measures up. :drinker: I am happier with something out of my freezer

Margaret – what a cute picture!

DeeDee – how exciting a month of no repair/remodel/painting people!!!

8of10- welcome

Meg – take care!

Lkeith2 – bump is a “place holder” so it is easier to find your place in the thread.

So here is the eggplant recipe - It could be made healthier with low fat coconut milk and with low sodium stir fry sauce....

Quick Braised Eggplant with Coconut Milk and scallions
    1/8 cup canola oil
    1 medium onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 1/4 pounds Asian or Italian eggplants (about 4), cut into 3-by-1/2-inch pieces
    1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine, sake or water
    1/2 cup Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk, stirred just before using
    2 teaspoons Asian chili paste
    4 large scallions, white and tender green parts only, cut into 3/4-inch lengths
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or a wok until small puffs of smoke begin to appear. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry over high heat until the onion is just crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Add the eggplant and stir-fry until browned in spots and just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the Chinese cooking wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 1 minute. Add the Vietnamese Stir-fry Sauce, water, coconut milk, cornstarch and chili paste. Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is very tender and the sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes longer. Add the scallions and cook for 30 seconds. Serve the eggplant hot.
    Makes 3, 1 cup servings 257calories; 16 carbs, 19 fat, 2 protein, 4,973 sodium

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times
    Walk 100 miles -6.55 = 93.45 to go
    Do 4 errands walking (from home or a 15 minute walk from the place the car is parked)
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week

Kim from N. California

Hi, Kim.

I'm in Burlington. I am originally from the suburbs of Chicago. I moved to Vermont in 1987 and married a native Vermonter 3 years later. Now, if he has his way, we will NEVER leave, even though I hate the cold and would love to move south. Since our children are grown, especially.

My goal for the rest of this week and until the splint comes off my arm is to do as much walking as I can(which will be easier as it gets cooler because I sweat and itch like crazy under the bandages) and stay within my calories.

I truely hope everyone has a wonderful day.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    went out for almost a 4 mile walk.. got a call from my DB that a childhood friend of ours has passed away, I dont have details yet, but there is a wake and funeral in my future:cry:
    well i have laundry in the dryer and as soon as that is out have to run the key up and leave for my brother check on the DFIL and then home for a shower and off to work..
  • lesleychev
    lesleychev Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Dull and gloomy day here is Gloucester (UK) today.

Hurting today think I overdid the exercise yesterday lol. I text a friend in the morning about going swimming but she never replied so once home after work Hubby and I took Arthur the greyhound out for a walk. Explored areas of our village I'd never been to before and I've lived there 20+ years. We were out for 1.5 hours as we didn't take phones we were completely oblivious to the time.

When we got back I had a text to say swimming was on for 7.45pm. (Haven't swum in a year) I had 15 mins to chuck stuff in bag and get there. It was really nice, busy though. I managed 480m swimming and about 200m just walking up and down in the water not bad for a first time in a while. I'm hoping the girls night swimming will become a regular thing and also plan to take Hubby once a week to.
    He desperately needs to lose some weight to!!

Hope everyone is well.

Lesley
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I briefly considered joining a Boot Camp, but with travel for work I would miss half of the classes. Not worth it. I have decided to put the money for the class in my savings account, and do my own "boot camp". If I lose 10 pounds, that money will be mine for my bead stash.

I have again learned to just go straight to the gym. If I don't, I get home and there is always something that interferes with my plans.

Progress, BF has agreed to join the gym and do water aerobics with me. I begged him, and bribed him. We will sign up tonight.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Denise in Wichita - welcome! I live in the southeast corner of Kansas, near Joplin, MO. My sister lives in Augusta and an older brother lives in Wichita. We grew up in that area of the state. I lived in Wichita for a few years after my divorce too, before moving to Kansas City.

Lesley in UK, AWWW! I think Arthur is such a great name for a greyhound. (Do you ever call him King Arthur?) I bet he's a sweetheart! I badly wanted a greyhound rescue but hubby thought they were too big. Then we found a whippet at a shelter and it was a perfect compromise. But someday I will have a greyhound.

Well, I slept really well all night long, for the first time since the rash started. It was so wonderful! My feet weren't even itching, but I put the blue goo on them anyway, just in case. Then, when I put my shoes on they started itching again, but I went ahead and walked the kids to school anyway. I took my bedroom slippers with me, so now I'm sitting in my studio wearing my fuzzy slippers. My flipflops hurt because I have so many spots between my toes, so these slippers are the best solution. They are washable too, so if (when) I get clay on them, I can just toss them in the wash. And I brought the blue goo with me too, so I can reapply it during the day.

Yes, both doggies got a nice bath. Bruno was not happy. He is not a water loving dog, but if there is a cookie in it for him he will tolerate it. Molly doesn't really mind.

Alison, sorry to hear about your friend's passing. I don't know how you can do so much in a day. It makes me tired just reading about what you do. I hope you get to take some time for yourself too.

Softblond, so you are a bead junkie too? I started making earrings just to have a little display in my store and then I got hooked. I don't think I would want to go to boot camp. It would remind me of basic training in the Military. Not a good memory, I'm afraid. My hubby and I go swimming laps together every Saturday morning at the Y. And we go to use the weight machines three times a week. I think it's his way of being supportive, but honestly, he needs it too.

Well, I have drafting stuff to do, then pots to throw, then pick up the kids from school at 3:15. Better get busy! Take care everyone, and have a great day!

Sylvia
  • kittytoo
    Options
    Hi, Ladies!

Got back from my lovely weekend in San Diego and straight into a week from h-e-double-toothpick. No time to catch up on reading and post, but I am keeping up on logging food into MFP. I think I managed NOT to gain. We are going again this weekend as DH has a dental appointment in Los Algodones, which is half way to San Diego, on Friday. My exercising has suffered a bit, but got in a lot of walking over the weekend. I guess I need a pedometer, to see how far I go.

Keep up the good work!

Kitty in Phoenix
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Lesley UK - it's really sunny here in Hampshire! Only a short way away from Gloucestershire. My cleaner comes from there. I love her rural accent!

Well, I've done all my jobs - as many as I need to do - and the rest can wait until the grandchildren can "help " us! I just hope they don't arrive before 9pm as that's when the Great British Bake Off ends! ! ! ! :laugh: I have put it on record so if I have to miss the last 15 mins I can find it again. :bigsmile: The whole country is gripped by the drama in the Bake Off tent! Last week one competitor removed another's ice cream from the freezer and he threw the whole lot in the bin and stormed off. He was disqualified. It has leaked out that the offending competitor will not be back this week because she fell and damaged her olfactory nerve. (Oh yeah? ) Sounds like divine justice to me.:laugh: :tongue:

For those of you who were interested in the cauliflower cake, I have made for tonight the Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie from skinnytaste.com. It is really a cake, not a pie and very low in calories. It keeps well. We usually have double portions for dinner and the remainder for lunch the next day. It is fine served at room temperature. It is not low in sodium.:noway: We love it!

Bye again! Glad your P I itching is getting better, Sylvia. I only know the reference to it in an Elvis song!:laugh:

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!:flowerforyou:

Since we’ve been home from our vacations and since we had such a very hectic summer, I’ve been a little introspective. Because it is so easy for me to sink into a depression thinking about all the negative and stressful things going on :mad: :noway: :ohwell: :sad: , one of the things that I’ve decided to do was to have one positive reflection e:happy: ach day. So for today I am making all of you my positive reflection. I am so happy to enjoy your thoughts and support!:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Hugs for your fur baby.:flowerforyou: Hope he heals quickly.

MA: Congratulations for your son passing his driving test. We will look forward to seeing him over here. :smile: Just two weeks ago it was brought to my attention that my license had expired in 2013 and I had to take the written and driving test. I failed the written test on the first day, spent the evening studying and passed both the next morning. Phew! I hope to never put myself through that again. My next expiration date is 2022! Congrats on your Dad’s recovery and on his mobility scooter! The SO and I are absolutely dreading the day my mom (80) and his dad (88) are forced to stop driving.:sad:

Anniebr: Sending hugs!:flowerforyou: I too am an emotional eater and especially as it relates to negative feelings and punishing myself for a variety of feelings. Over the past few years I have taught myself to face the emotion, dissect it, make a very primary assessment of (1) did I do the best I could; (2) is this my issue; (3) what could I have done differently; and (4) acceptance of my feelings. I had to make a conscious decision to go find some sort of exercise to do before I had the first potato chip, brownie, cookie, etc. Usually by the time I finished the exercise the urge to gorge had passed.

DeeDee: You are making great progress! I would love a lipstick red table so I am sure the GDs will too.:heart:

8of10: Welcome! :flowerforyou: Great starting goals. Of all the things in the world to not eat, potato chips are my favorite. I just try to limit my intake to 1 serving a day maximum. Keep us posted on your progress. Sending you support!

Sylvia: The SO is extremely allergic to poison ivy which is quite an allergy for someone with a lawn and tree care business. :sad: Over the years I have found that old fashioned lye soap works the best. I generally have to wait for the state fair to come and buy several bars from the crafts workers to keep on hand. He covers himself with the lather and lets it dry on. Thankfully I am not allergic to it because it is really contagious and easily carried. Hope you are better soon!

Mimi: Sending you hugs and prayers!:flowerforyou:

Tere in RVA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    hugs
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Denise – good luck with your self control – I would need to not have that in the house. :laugh: :laugh:

Lesley – sounds like council rates are a variety of taxes that we would pay in USA; our cities money comes out of property taxes, sales taxes, and some fees …. It is so interesting to hear how other places do it.

Mimi – welcome back; it is tough to miss a few days, all the catching up! :happy: Great NSV of processed vs homemade food… I have been finding that too…. Although I was never huge into processed food…

Alison - sorry to hear about DF and the loss - sending {{{hugs}}}}

Heather – glad you are feeling a bit more organized… amazing how some things can just throw one off…

Karen – Burlington, farther north than I was… but I loved my stay; although I was very lonely it was a small town and as a single college kid doing an internship there was not much to do… the only thing in town that stayed open past 8pm was the laundry mat…. :noway:

Lesley in UK – great job on walking and swimming! I bet just by cooking healthy and dragging DH with you on walks he’ll get in better shape too. :smile:

Softblondechick – I walk as soon as I am up about 5:30-6am like you, at that hour no one is coming up with other things you should do.

Sylvia – how are you doing on the walking challenge?

Kitty – glad to see you, I just recently got a fitbit (I got mine used as they are pricy) but love it; and as I just finished my first week it send me an email with a weeks worth of consolidated stats… very informative.

Tere – I love your assessment questions especially “is this my issue” such a good one!

Levi and I walk in the morning and walk past an elementary school (5-10 year old kids) and they have a big fenced field that he loves to run in off lead... well all summer it has been closed, they added 6 new classrooms, and redid the irrigation and added a basketball area... It just reopened :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: so today off lead and running like the wind- Levi was so happy. we get there when no one is around so no other dog issues --- but I could not bear to take him away from his fun to quick so figured out how to use the play equipment to do stretching! this will (I hope) become my new morning routine...:happy:

September goals:
    Stretch 5 minutes 8 times 1 done
    Walk 100 miles -11.43 = 88.57 to go
    Do Heather’s abc balance 2 time a week – 1 done

Kim from N. California
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Tough night.........mind churning and awake until, as my mom would say, "all hours"........probably close to 4am; no discernible reason. Bed, couch---nothing worked! We had the highest temp of the summer yesterday and also set a record for highest ever for a Sept. 2nd. Still above norm but not so bad today. Watering done. Watched Netflix a bit when I couldn't sleep last night---Upstairs Downstairs----never caught this show when it was on PBS and heard the expression "Two shakes of a lambs tail"..........took me back; heard this ALL the time growing up! Then I got weepy; there goes my "living in the present" resolution already!!! Will keep it though and try again.

Cynthia...........Your poor dog; hoping his recovery is swift and eyesight returns to the affected eye. Give him a hug from me.

Heather.........Will take a look at the spinach/feta pie; Thanks!!

Dee Dee...........Please don't stop chatting to one and all in your daily life! I've always imagined you to be very friendly and gracious; it's nice to be right!! And enjoy the peace and quiet of your reno break!

Kitty..........Welcome back; glad you enjoyed your short break.

Possibility of lunch and a movie with neighbor and DD today........btw, loved Jersey Boys last week.

Lesley............I guess your council rates are kind of like our city homeowner taxes. But then we also have water, electric, sewage, homeownrs insurance, flood insurance.........plus car inspection, personal property taxes on cars, registration on cars.............and the list goes on...................grrrrrrrrrrr...........

Sylvia................YAY for less itching!

"You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present." Jan Glidewell

yanniejannie
  • Akinom523
    Options
    Good morning all,

Had to put in a sick day yesterday, overdid on Monday with lawn care, house cleaning and so on, and got rewarded with a solid headache. Lots of sleep and rest got me back on track.

Today back to the gym, not my most stellar workout, but I got up and showed up and I got it done.
    Tonight hopefully some dancing - I am in urgent need of some fast two steps!

I wish everybody a great day - have to request some time to read up on all the posts, please!

Mon
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. Reading everyone's updates makes me proud of us 50+ MFP-ers. We have a lot of things to take care of (((hugs to all))) but we still find time and motivation to take care of ourselves as well! I'm celebrating 3 days of logging in, posting my food diary, and exercising after a hiatus of a few months. This is huge for me (lots of false starts in the past few months.)

Three years ago I joined MFP, lost 40 lbs, joined a boot camp and added biking, hiking, kayaking to my life on a regular basis. Whoo-hoo! 4 months ago things kind of fell apart. I didn't completely let it all go, but I wasn't hitting it as hard as I could. 8 pounds gained, stamina and muscle tone diminished :(

Lesson learned, I'm here now and committed to getting back to my former fitness level. I just joined a new yoga class and am eager to keep going! It's perhaps more of a challenge at our age, but it's not impossible :)