Options
12346»

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Date, yes.
    Support, no.

Non-debatable, at least not at this point in my life.
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Of course. I'm married to one and my career affords us that luxury.

I'm surprised though no one has compared this question to the ones of "would you date someone overweight" and how the answers to these two questions break down along gender lines.

This is a fascinating look at gender roles in our current social structure. Not to mention the way that money and power impact relationships. Last year I got an enormous promotion/raise, I make enough to support a family now. I don't care if the guy has any himself, if he is willing to be a SAHD and keep house I would so be down with it. The problem is that I have tried dating with this mindset and it's hard to find men who are on the same page.

And then on the flip side, dating men who are financially secure is always tough because their expectations can be very difficult to meet. (example, me being overweight is quite clearly a dealbreaker for a LOT of men)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

(example, me being overweight is quite clearly a dealbreaker for a LOT of men)

Is it??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    If they were rich, NOPE. Also if the intention is NOT to work, then it's a deal breaker.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options

(example, me being overweight is quite clearly a dealbreaker for a LOT of men)

Is it??

Wellllll, there are always those that have a preference for larger women. But I'm not interested in being fetishized.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Unemployed, unmotivated and living with their parents? No. Unemployed because they were laid off and are currently living on their savings and perhaps attending classes to pursue a better, stable career? Maybe. Rich playboy without a care in the world? Maybe for a couple weeks, but not long term.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    In addition to what was mentioned above:

1. Is that person independently wealthy? Ok
    2. Is that person currently working towards becoming gainfully employed? Ok
    3. Is that person a leach? HELLZ NOOOOO!!!!

+1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    When I first met my BF- he was on partial unemployment and continuing to working his part time job. after we started hanging out more- he started working full time at that job- not a long term plan. 3 years in I finally had enough and said you're not moving fast enough- and I don't see life improvement. I'm done- I loved him and it was a really difficult descion and time.... 3 months of fighting (him fighting for me)- I finally agreed to work some things out with him and give it a second shot (this is REALLY not my usual- when I break up- I'm like- I'm done- no contact no nothing it's over) and we agreed to meet in the middle on some things- and improve- he got a new job and has since done some work- and me too- but there is no way- not long term- you have to have self improvement.

I'm surprised though no one has compared this question to the ones of "would you date someone overweight" and how the answers to these two questions break down along gender lines.

it comes up occasionally- I am always amused and crucified- I personally am a no.

I'm just not attracted to over weight people. And my circles that I travel in have mostly active people who are pretty busy and workout- or are dancers. I just am not attracted to it. I feel like 50 pounds of over weight I'd probably draw the line- and I would have to consider leaving my partner. Life is a journey- *kitten* happens I get it- but I'm specifically talking about people who are constantly not making an effort to improve themselves- I cant' live with someone like that- and that goes for work and weight- or fitness- pretty much anything.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    Not likely, but it depends why and for how long. Long term goals etc.