Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options
I am beginning to think it's legitimately cruel to bring candy for co-workers to share at the office. I don't know how many times I have to ask people not to bring it in but it's like no one cares. I am trying so hard not to snack and it becomes so much harder when almost everyone has some sort of treat at their desk. I can only walk by it so many times without taking something.

I am sure I will get a ton of "no one is forcing you to eat it" and you're right. But my "friends" sure don't make it any easier for me. I notoriously have no will power. Why do people want to tempt me?? They think it's nice and I guess once in a while it's a nice treat, but to fill the candy bucket that you've had in your office since Halloween on a weekly basis is just not necessary. And it's always the people that don't eat it themselves! When you stop smoking or drinking or whatever, the professionals all say to stay away from things that trigger you. The amazing cookies that someone brought in today to say thank you for bridal shower gift is certainly a trigger. And it is right next to my cube! This articles helps prove my point.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-office-candy-jar-helping-make-you-fat/

Sorry for the rant. I'm just really upset about it. I am working really hard to be good. I am a working mom with an almost 2 hour commute each way and working out once I get home is really hard for me. I am not always able to burn the extra calories to make up for one bite size snickers. It can ruin my whole day. Okay, rant over. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um.

Are they bringing it to your desk??

I mean- that's the only way I could see they are being cruel.

otherwise it's a gift- and a way to get it out of THEIR house- I bring crap in all the time b/c I don't want it in my house.

I understand i'ts hard- but- I mean- life isn't easy for anyone- and where ever you go- there will be food- and free treats. It isn't about you.

Either pack your own snacks- and learn to say no- or figure out how to enjoy said treats (my co-worker brings in the most delicious pretzels- sometimes I eat them- sometimes I don't. But I log them either way.

nothing is helping make you fat except you. Own it and figure it out- that's really the only way to do it. There is certainly no way it should be ruining your day. I might want to go see someone if you are feeling SO out of control around food. A therapist might be able to help you deal and manage a little better.
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    off topic - I was wrote up for bring dougnuts to work before.

unless they are forcing it on you, Office Treats are cool
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You really expect everyone in the office to stop eating their treats and stop bringing them in just because you are on a diet? I am sure that there are many other people who are not trying to lose weight and enjoy having those little treats in the office. They are not doing it to spite you. You have to be able to say no!

ETA: just read that article and that doesn't really prove any point. It just states what we already know, that if you mindlessly snack, you will gain weight. The office treats are not going to make you gain weight any more than a cookie that you buy at the supermarket. As an adult, you have to make the choice to be mindful and not snack if you can't afford it in your calories!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Oh honey... I know you're just ranting and need to get it off your chest, but sometimes, it's not all about you. Part of losing weight is learning how to control yourself. If I were you, I certainly wouldn't ask them not to bring the treats unless you're allergic to them. Sorry again! :flowerforyou:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    So everybody has to stop eating candy because you don't want to?

Did your parents never tell you growing up that the world doesn't revolve around you?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Why is your lack of discipline their problem?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The world is full of temptations, the only thing standing between you and them is self control.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    That's like saying if you drive by a McDonald's it's their fault they are tempting you with hamburgers and fries. Temptation surrounds us. How we respond is totally up to us.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I bring crap in all the time b/c I don't want it in my house.

I have to agree here, I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time but it is unfair for you to expect other people to change their habits. I love to bake and cook but since I don't eat much (and my boyfriend has no self control and will gorge himself) I often bring treats to friends or the office so that people can enjoy them and it doesn't just go bad on my counter.

Have you thought about just enjoying the little treat so that you don't have the agony of desperately wanting it? You can always take a walk during your lunch, even invite some of those coworkers with you, or just work it off after work :flowerforyou:
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My office provides free soda, chips, other snacks, etc and vendors constantly bring food in. I have learned to keep a gallon jug of water at my desk so I do not have to go into the kitchen as often. I also like to bring all of my own food or snack and try to tell myself that I will only eat it if I brought or paid for it.

Try putting a bowl of fruit on your desk. It will serve as a visual reminder (and make you feel guilty), and when you "think" you are hungry, grab something from the bowl.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Just because you're not eating it doesn't mean everyone else should cater to you.

Think about it this way, if you *only* ate, say, celery, would you expect your coworkers to *only* bring celery to work? Of course you wouldn't, because that's ridiculous.

Figure out a way to exercise self control without trying to control and manipulate others. What are we, in the fifth grade?
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If the treats are that tempting- then bring some treats in of your own that you know you can eat and fit into your cals for the day. That way when a treat attack hits you have something to munch on instead of dreaming about the candy.

Do what you have to do- but don't make the argument that your co-workers are being cruel. They are people and are allowed to eat what they want regardless of your will power.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of candies ON my desk - tootsie tolls, hershey's kisses, mini peanut butter cups, jolly ranchers, for the students that come in. I don't touch it. One of the Deans brings in Munchkins every day. My big boss brought in zucchini bread today, two loaves. This is life, and there will always, always be something there to "tempt" you. It is useless to get angry about it, and a waste of energy. There are some things in life you just need to accept as beyond your control. It's not a problem unless you make it one !
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's not all about you, honeybun. They're allowed to make whatever nutritional choices they want. My coworkers bring in candy and donuts and brownies and cupcakes all the time, because they eat them and they share them and that's a part of their lives and personal choices that I respect, because the neither the world nor my office revolves around me. If I have the calories and I want to indulge, I partake. If I don't, I don't. If I know the temptation is gonna be bad, I bring alternate snacks to keep my hunger low and my blood sugar stable. I take responsibility for my body, my health and my choices, and that's the only way to maintain a healthy lifestyle longterm.

I just think it's weird that you're making it about you, you know? "I've asked them to stop but they don't, why do they tempt me!!" Maybe because.. they like it, and we're allowed to make different choices?

w/e, my two cents.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against free food. Free food is always the best tasting :P.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with enjoying some of the sweets around the office, work a little harder at the gym tonight/tomorrow / the rest of the week if you have to.

Also realize, your coworkers bringing food/treats to the office isn't the problem, your unhealthy relationship with it is. In order to develop a healthy relationship with food you need to learn moderation and learn to control yourself around them. Suzanne might bake the best brownies on planet earth but just because they are there doesn't mean you have to partake.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    In...for sabotage.
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So... Your coworkers bringing in snacks that you don't want to be tempted by is "cruel".

But an environment in which they can no longer bring and share snacks they enjoy, merely due to one coworker's lack of willpower is somehow perfectly fair and not cruel at all?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    2 hour commute and the danger of candy? The obvious answer is to quit your job.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Oh... Honey.
  • Finding_my_wings
    Options
    I can understand it is hard for you and having will power at times is tough, but unless your coworker is placing the goodies on your desk then I don't see how this is cruel. Part of dieting and having a healthier lifestyle is control. I know I have no will power when it comes to chocolate, but I dont stop by the offices that give it away and I have healthy snacks in my desk (almonds, protein bars, water, sugar free chocolate, etc) and I eat that or once in a blue moon treat myself to chocolate. You know your macros and if it fits then allow it, but if it will mess up your day then put on your big girl panties and pass it up. I understand the working crazy hours I work 10 plus a day and I have an hour commute to and from work, but you cant use that as an excuse or crutch. It will only hold you back in the long run