Office Treats - Not cool Rant

Options

Replies

• Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the OP and have responded about three pages back. Just want to say again that you were all right. Some of you used supportive words and others were quite harsh. I took both types of comments and came to the conclusion that it's in my hands. I can make the decision to eat the snacks or not. Even the ridiculous amounts of "get a grip" comments are helpful. So thanks. I needed that kick in the pants. *whispers* Can it please stop now *huddles in corner with arms protecting head"?

Glad to see your toddler moment has passed.

The thread probably won't stop though. Sorry. :flowerforyou:

You are probably right.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    um.

Are they bringing it to your desk??

I mean- that's the only way I could see they are being cruel.

I got no further than this.

Someone did this to me once. When I opted to avoid the office pot luck, she insisted I come try the food. When I told her again that I didn't wish to participate, she brought the food to my desk.

Ugh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm the OP and have responded about three pages back. Just want to say again that you were all right. Some of you used supportive words and others were quite harsh. I took both types of comments and came to the conclusion that it's in my hands. I can make the decision to eat the snacks or not. Even the ridiculous amounts of "get a grip" comments are helpful. So thanks. I needed that kick in the pants. *whispers* Can it please stop now *huddles in corner with arms protecting head"?

Glad to see your toddler moment has passed.

The thread probably won't stop though. Sorry. :flowerforyou:

You are probably right.

You'll do alright.

You survived- you learned- you're game for some fun. The thread will roll and there will be more comments- but you seem amicable- so I suspect it will be all well and good.

Congrats on making it through the first MFP ring of flaming grow up fire death thread.

just kidding. :flowerforyou:

it's okay- it CAN be hard- but we are here to help- even if it's not in the way you thought LOL. You'll be fine.

I got no further than this.

Someone did this to me once. When I opted to avoid the office pot luck, she insisted I come try the food. When I told her again that I didn't wish to participate, she brought the food to my desk.

Ugh.

I'd have words for someone who did that- i hope you learned her her lesson quickly.
  • ajp1999
    ajp1999 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree we all need to have some self control, however I can relate to this being frustrating. My office is similar due to the fact that the amount of junk food around on a daily basis is excessive. Also I'm going to note here that there are a large amount of people in my office that are obese/overweight. Hmmmmm a correlation here??? Sitting all day AND eating junk food that is readily available on a daily bases= extra lbs. Agreed, we are all adults and we have to control ourselves, however I'm always asking my co workers why we have to have massive amount of candy/donuts/junk food at the office on every day?

How about brining in some fruit once and a while for a treat? Which has been done here in my office before, but the fruit just sits and the candy gets eaten!!!!

Anyway it's a free office and I agree people should be able to bring in a treat. I'm just saying that if your office is like mine I'm telling you it's WAY WAY too excessive. At my desk now I can litterally at any time any given day have my choice of 5 kinds of candy or donuts.. Do I eat it every day?? NO, but I do "fall off the wagon" more frequently than I'd like=)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hi again - OP here. I got a lot of "it's not all about you" comments which really bugged me. I just got a very nice note from someone that made me really think about the real reason I posted my rant and made me realize why the comments bugged me. My whole thought process comes from the fact that if i knew that someone in my office was working really hard to stay away from treats, I personally wouldn't bring them in and make it harder for them. They don't want it and I don't need it. It is my personality not to be the person that makes anything harder for another person. So sometimes it boggles my mind that others don't think the same way and I just can't understand. So that's where it came from.

But like other comments said, I can't change other people's behaviors (which I actually tell my husband all the time about his mother) so I need to change mind. Thank you for the reminder.

Well here's the thing. How commonplace is it for people to bring treats into the office? Honestly, I don't believe that there is one person in your office that is concerned enough with your weight loss to intentionally sabotage you. That's still that thinking that someone else is to blame for your lack of self-control. You have to quit thinking like that. Your coworkers are living their lives.

Even if there is someone there that wants you to fail, then they aren't really interested in keeping you fat, but to get a reaction out of you. And you're giving it to them.

ETA - Odds are that if you already asked them not to do it, then they did intentionally do it just to piss you off. Still... you let it piss you off, and you didn't have to.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Hi again - OP here. I got a lot of "it's not all about you" comments which really bugged me. I just got a very nice note from someone that made me really think about the real reason I posted my rant and made me realize why the comments bugged me. My whole thought process comes from the fact that if i knew that someone in my office was working really hard to stay away from treats, I personally wouldn't bring them in and make it harder for them. They don't want it and I don't need it. It is my personality not to be the person that makes anything harder for another person. So sometimes it boggles my mind that others don't think the same way and I just can't understand. So that's where it came from.

But like other comments said, I can't change other people's behaviors (which I actually tell my husband all the time about his mother) so I need to change mind. Thank you for the reminder.

You are one cool chick :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I notoriously have no will power. Why do people want to tempt me??

It's the other way 'round - you're asking the world to cater to you.

What gives you that right?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    OP has admitted defeat and is waving the white flag/ cowering in a corner.

Can we leave her alone now? LOL
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that 7 pages in, it's all been said and done, but I have one question for you OP....

DO you really poop nutmeg?
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    lol why are you stealing your co-workers' candy?
  • Sharon909
    Sharon909 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    OMG reading this post sounds like I wrote it! lol.
    My office has a candy dish in the lobby. I have to pass it everytime I go to the copy machine/fax and whenever I need to leave or meet a client. Its in my face.
    I asked my boss to buy peppermint patties instead cause I hate those. But he likes them and is trying to lose weight too. So he said he would rather me get fat than him. He is only sort of joking.

My self control is thin as well. Gum helps ALOT. So maybe try that? Or start taking the candy every time you walk by and immediately putting your 'share' in the trash can. Better to waste than to waist! lol. I know, I know, that's kinda mean knowing someone spent their money on it, but hey, maybe you will feel guilty for taking so many and ditching them that you wont take more to eat.

Convince yourself someone sneezed on them.

Pick up the platter of cookies, walk them around to everyone with napkins so everyone can take one, then ask if they want anymore. When they say no, put them in the trash (or the Fridge, they never taste as good when they have been in the fridge)
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i can TOTALLY relate! sweets have always been my downfall. i'm pretty sure i have a legitimate sugar addiction. it's really frustrating people bringing in cookies, donuts, and the like. i don't ask people not to bring it 'cause i mean other people in the office aren't watching what they eat. but oh, it is so hard to avoid. just adding in that i struggle with this too.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Unless you're in a very small office, this just isn't feasible, IMO. Do you keep up with who is quitting smoking? Or drinking? Divorcing? You get my idea. Just being you, doing what you do (happy marriage, happy hour, smoke break, etc) may hurt other people - but that hurt is on them (unless you're going out of your way to be a jerk, which I highly doubt). It's nice to try to be aware and accommodating to other people, but if you expect the same treatment, you're going to be let down.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also want to say that I really wish I had sparkly poop. That would be awesome.

You can. :)

Well done, by the way....
  • NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    OP has admitted defeat and is waving the white flag/ cowering in a corner.

Can we leave her alone now? LOL

:flowerforyou:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I was all ready to make a very frank reply until I read this. I like you. Thanks for being a good sport and not getting all defensive and pointing fingers and jumping up and down screaming, "You people are so mean!"

You'll do fine here on MFP.
  • princesskjr
    princesskjr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My office is always full of cakes biscuits and we even have a tuck shop!

Its my choice to eat healthy and its my choice if I decide to eat whats there (which I don't) I am the one who is dieting not everybody else in my office so why should they suffer??

To get anywhere with weightloss you need willpower and be able to say no.

Good luck going forward
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to overcome office treat temptation when I was losing my weight. However, now that I am all fit and sexy I just sit at my desk and smile smugly while the pigs feed at the trough... That is all. *Note: I got and still get nasty comments about how I don't eat (like they couldn't see my healthy snacks -OR- that I was eating 5-6x per day) or that I work out too much. Sorry, not sorry that my healthier lifestyle makes you feel insecure ;)

Charming.

Off to feed like a pig at a trough.....
  • Nutmegpoop17
    Nutmegpoop17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Well here's the thing. How commonplace is it for people to bring treats into the office? Honestly, I don't believe that there is one person in your office that is concerned enough with your weight loss to intentionally sabotage you. That's still that thinking that someone else is to blame for your lack of self-control. You have to quit thinking like that. Your coworkers are living their lives.

Even if there is someone there that wants you to fail, then they aren't really interested in keeping you fat, but to get a reaction out of you. And you're giving it to them.

ETA - Odds are that if you already asked them not to do it, then they did intentionally do it just to piss you off. Still... you let it piss you off, and you didn't have to.

So I never once in a million years thought that anyone did it on purpose to make things harder for me. Maybe I am naive. And it is every day. I think there are at least three people that have huge buckets that they fill weekly. One even has a pumpkin bucket from halloween.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I found it very difficult to overcome office treat temptation when I was losing my weight. However, now that I am all fit and sexy I just sit at my desk and smile smugly while the pigs feed at the trough... That is all. *Note: I got and still get nasty comments about how I don't eat (like they couldn't see my healthy snacks -OR- that I was eating 5-6x per day) or that I work out too much. Sorry, not sorry that my healthier lifestyle makes you feel insecure ;)

Charming.

Off to feed like a pig at a trough.....

Can I join? I brought home a whole pizza last night from my office we could rejoice in its lovelies. I won't even use my hands.