National Anthem During Prayers

Options

Replies

• Ump78
    Ump78 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    See, this is partially why I don't buy into the whole "religion" scam. Each claims their book (s) is of and by their god. It is never to be added to or removed from. Yet, each reader perceives it in his own way. And justifies their beliefs by what THEY read or are taught.

I was in Dubai just a few months ago. And there are speakers EVERYWHERE inside the airport. I had an 8 hour layover amd never left the airport. Talk about feeling out of place every couple of hours when the speakers blared some guy singing something in theor language. Reminded me of the latin catholic chants.

Was he wrong for playing his guitar? Nope. He was on an American base. Ladies and gentlemen, THAT IS AMERICAN SOIL , as much as Omaha or Sacramento. He wasn't 'interrupting' their prayer time. He could have been playing Green Sleeves. Wouldn't matter. He was just playing his guitar. Coincidentally happened to be during prayer time.

I neither condone nor condemn anyone their right to believe in their religion. Nor do I feel it necessary to interject my feelings on hoe they should or should not observe the practices of their faithm as long as their rights don't conflict with mine.

Your rights end where mine begin. And vise versa
  • Ump78
    Options
    You all say it was disrespectful, that he should have been a better representative of our country. Have any of you been in war? Have you had to deal with death all around you? Maybe don't be so quick to judge a man fighting for your freedom. Maybe try a little harder to put yourself in his shoes.
    You're kidding, right? Anyone occupying themselves with such disrespectful activities is someone I would argue is not "fighting for my freedom".

Stress is understandable, but isn't an excuse for really poor behavior. He doesn't get a free pass on his actions "because freedom".

That is an easy statement to make from the comfort of your home. If you think this was a 'disrespectful activity', you haven't seen anything.

Stress? Ha! I don't think you really have a clue what your talking about.

The soldiers are paid for the job. If they can't handle the job, don't apply. Just because they want a good job which requires no skills doesn't mean they get to make their problem my problem.
    if my MOS required NO skills, the US Government spent a boatload of money for no reason teaching me how to do it. This may be the most ingnorant thing I've read on MFP to date.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    MFP never fails to deliver!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    See, this is partially why I don't buy into the whole "religion" scam. Each claims their book (s) is of and by their god. It is never to be added to or removed from. Yet, each reader perceives it in his own way. And justifies their beliefs by what THEY read or are taught.

I was in Dubai just a few months ago. And there are speakers EVERYWHERE inside the airport. I had an 8 hour layover amd never left the airport. Talk about feeling out of place every couple of hours when the speakers blared some guy singing something in theor language. Reminded me of the latin catholic chants.

Was he wrong for playing his guitar? Nope. He was on an American base. Ladies and gentlemen, THAT IS AMERICAN SOIL , as much as Omaha or Sacramento. He wasn't 'interrupting' their prayer time. He could have been playing Green Sleeves. Wouldn't matter. He was just playing his guitar. Coincidentally happened to be during prayer time.

I neither condone nor condemn anyone their right to believe in their religion. Nor do I feel it necessary to interject my feelings on hoe they should or should not observe the practices of their faithm as long as their rights don't conflict with mine.

Your rights end where mine begin. And vise versa
    I'm if their prayer time happened to over lapped with the Anthem at the start of Yankee's game there would be hell to pay

Using some respect and common sense can save you a lot of hassle though and in such situation save lives and avoid conflict.

Just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD.

• lizzybathory
    Options
    Just because you CAN doesn't always mean you SHOULD.
    This. "It's not illegal" isn't a terribly strong argument when talking about respect and sensitivity. If what he did was legal, that doesn't say a thing about whether or not it was respectful at all. There are tons of totally legal things that I could do every day that would still cost me my job and every friend I have. And when he's representing our country... :/
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

America does not own that land. They are still the property of the host country that allows us to operate there. This is determined by a number of agreements. In the case of Iraq, it was the Status of Forces agreement. Similar agreements exist in Afghanistan, Qatar, etc.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

One of the most ignorant things I've ever saw was a sign that said "All I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11"

Every time i see this bumper sticker it makes me want to print one of my own, "Everything I need to know about Christianity, I learned from Westboro Baptist Church."

I'm an atheist, too, but I think everyone has the right to worship however they see fit, providing it doesn't harm them or harm anyone else. I'm cool with the coffee table being god to someone, as long as the coffee table doesn't demand a schoolyard shooting.

I think it boils down to tolerance and respect. I live in the Bible Belt, and I know those same people would be screaming the house down if the Muslims did something similar during their prayers. Treat others the way you want to be treated...it's a good rule for a reason.

As a Christian, the bolded part is true for me. ;) As in "Westboro, You're doing it wrong".

+1
  • Ump78
    Options
    For those who have never served:

We don't fight for YOUR freedom
    We don't fight for ANYONE'S freedom
    We aren't afforded the luxury of idealism.
    We fight for the guy beside us. We fight for those we've sweat and bled with.
    We fight because we felt a calling to serve.
    We fight so you won't have to.

That being said, the WARS are fought for political/socio-economic reasons. To aid the oppressed. To overcome tyranny. None of these decisions are made by anyone carrying a weapon. These calls are made in conference rooms and on golf courses by the so-called 'Diplomats'

If I play my guitar while you're praying, and I do it without disturbing you, is it still disrespectful? How about if I'm wiping my *kitten* while you pray? I guarantee this happens DAILY. Neither are disrespectful in-and-of themselves. The motivation is what makes the difference.

IF he was doing it to disrupt, interrupt, overbear, or intrude.....THEN it's disrespectful.
  • Ump78
    Options

America does not own that land. They are still the property of the host country that allows us to operate there. This is determined by a number of agreements. In the case of Iraq, it was the Status of Forces agreement. Similar agreements exist in Afghanistan, Qatar, etc.
    semantics. Your consulate in every country is on the host's land. Yet it's sovereign soil to it's 'guest'.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    IF he was doing it to disrupt, interrupt, overbear, or intrude.....THEN it's disrespectful.

First: This. Agreed.

Second: There is no major world religion, Eastern, Western, or otherwise, that condones the use of violence simply because someone disagrees with your faith. There are indeed often exceptions for defensive situations, but they are rare and specific.

But I think we can all agree: all this death and destruction happening all over the world, primarily in Middle Eastern countries, that are using religion as their sword and shield, are WRONG. And yes, I most certainly include Palestine and Isreali conflicts.

Every. Single. Person. involved in these events should sit down and re-read their own religions tomes. Are you telling me Judaism condones air strikes? Islam is OK with lining people up, bound at the hands and feet, and slaughtering them like cattle? I actually have read and, in fact, own many of these texts. These religions do no such thing, and to think otherwise shows a simple lack of knowledge.

(Although, you probably also think the Satanic Bible is about worshipping Satan. Again, you would be wrong.)

These people fight out of ignorance. Their leaders may be educated, but they often purposefully keep their followers ignorant. It is shameful and best, and truly an abomination.

/rant
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options

semantics. Your consulate in every country is on the host's land. Yet it's sovereign soil to it's 'guest'.

No, it isn't semantics. It is relevant because if we piss of the local population, they'd be quite eager for us to leave (as they were in Iraq)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Rude and disrespectul of him to do it during their prayers. Period. No defense possible. If an Iraqi had played music during prayers in an American church there would have been a huge flap, if not a riot. Same thing.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    You all say it was disrespectful, that he should have been a better representative of our country. Have any of you been in war? Have you had to deal with death all around you? Maybe don't be so quick to judge a man fighting for your freedom. Maybe try a little harder to put yourself in his shoes.
    You're kidding, right? Anyone occupying themselves with such disrespectful activities is someone I would argue is not "fighting for my freedom".

Stress is understandable, but isn't an excuse for really poor behavior. He doesn't get a free pass on his actions "because freedom".

That is an easy statement to make from the comfort of your home. If you think this was a 'disrespectful activity', you haven't seen anything.

Stress? Ha! I don't think you really have a clue what your talking about.

The soldiers are paid for the job. If they can't handle the job, don't apply. Just because they want a good job which requires no skills doesn't mean they get to make their problem my problem.

Too far!! Much too far! Those soldiers that require "no skills" to do their jobs put their lives on the line daily for myself, my children and all Americans. That comment is so ignorant I seriously don't know what else to say. :noway:
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

One of the most ignorant things I've ever saw was a sign that said "All I need to know about Islam, I learned on 9/11"

Every time i see this bumper sticker it makes me want to print one of my own, "Everything I need to know about Christianity, I learned from Westboro Baptist Church."

I'm sorry, did you say bumper sticker?? Oh man, I need to carry a carton of eggs in my car in case I ever see that one!
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How Borat of them.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but I agree with many of the responses on the first page--it was incredibly disrespectful. One of the reasons we Americans have such a terrible reputation abroad is because we seem to not respect the culture of any other country. Being that most of the people in the Middle East are Muslim, prayer at certain times is a part of their culture and that should be respected regardless of the reason you are there.

And no, true Muslims did not try to hurt the US. Ask almost any Muslim anywhere in the world and they will say that al Qaeda is not representative of their views, just as the KKK is not representative of the views of the mainstream Christian.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the original video,but I know when I lived in Nigeria and the call to prayer began I wouldn't stop my work or activities. I don't think I was being disrespectful, and I would never disrupt prayer. However, life for me resumed despite half the city stopping for prayer.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

Just a reminder that if this thread starts to go into a religious debate, it will be locked. It's fine to discuss opinion on the action, but let's not get into a debate about religion on the general boards.

Ninerbuff
    MFP Moderator

Wow, now that is what I call being proactive.

QFT
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    So... not sure if anyone saw this- but my co-worker brought it up this morning raving about how awesome it was....
    http://totalfratmove.com/american-soldier-plays-star-spangled-banner-on-electric-guitar-during-prayer-time-in-afghanistan-video/

I immediately asked if it was an american solider stationed in Afghanistan and he said yes and how awesome it was.

I said- during THEIR prayers?
    Yup- SO AWESOME.

I was offended for them and said that is so unacceptable and rude.

"BUT THEY TRIED TO BLOW US UP"

blink blink- it's still rude. we are in their country- helping their military organize. So Rude.

All I can think of is "this is why no one likes our country"

cranky panda pants is cranky.
    <bracing for the onslaught of 'MERICA comments>

I guess my question is why it is okay to say "this is why no one likes our country" after the actions of one or a few morons. But, we are appalled at the idea of lumping all Muslims together for the heinous actions of some?? The US takes it's powerful position seriously, and I think their are few things ruder than joining the haters against your own.