Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options
So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following your logic here, sorry.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following your logic here, sorry.

Yeah me either. All the company has to do is fire those people who refuse to go to work and hire more.

It's not the fast food industry's fault that people are obese. No one is forcing you to eat it 24/7.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it anyway
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see why the heck fast food workers should get paid more than minimum wage. It is unskilled labor and the vast majority of fast-food workers* I have ever dealt with could not seem to care less about any form of customer service. To me, this equals minimal pay.

*The exception I have found to this is Chick-fil-a where the workers seem universally clean and polite.
  • MarissaPalm
    MarissaPalm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't see why the heck fast food workers should get paid more than minimum wage. It is unskilled labor and the vast majority of fast-food workers* I have ever dealt with could not seem to care less about any form of customer service. To me, this equals minimal pay.

*The exception I have found to this is Chick-fil-a where the workers seem universally clean and polite.

YES. Thank you. There is a reason they are being paid MINIMUM WAGE. But asking for $15 an hour? PLEASE.
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that they shouldn't make minimum wage, it's more about fair working conditions and livable wage/hours. Minimum wage isn't a liveable wage in most states and then to top it off the fast food places only give their workers about 10 hours a week but they make their schedules sporadically making it very hard for them to get a second job.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I'm so sick of hearing people say "Well you can't make a living on minimum wage". You're not meant to!!
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    So this whole thing about people being paid more or refusing to work is a good thing. That means these places will have less workers to sling unhealthy junk foods! its a good thing!

Or people could just not go in to the restaurant, but that requires personal responsibility and accountability so........
  • kshadows
    Options
    It's not so much that they shouldn't make minimum wage, it's more about fair working conditions and livable wage/hours. Minimum wage isn't a liveable wage in most states and then to top it off the fast food places only give their workers about 10 hours a week but they make their schedules sporadically making it very hard for them to get a second job.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to be a liveable wage. It should get you by in a pinch, in between jobs, in high school/college, etc
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I'm so sick of hearing people say "Well you can't make a living on minimum wage". You're not meant to!!

You are meant to. That's the whole point of minimum wage. To provide a livable wage for unskilled workers.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Minimum wage isn't supposed to be a liveable wage. It should get you by in a pinch, in between jobs, in high school/college, etc

Exactly. I held three different minimum wage jobs between the ages of 15 and 18. Bagger/cart hauler at a grocery store, McDonald's cashier and 7-11 Cashier (on 11p-7a shift no less). They all sucked to some degree or another, but they were never meant to be a "career".
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    In the current job market fast food is often the only work people can find. So it's no longer just 16 year olds and people just wanting a little extra cash. Also, the pay is quite low and nearly impossible to live on. People say "go to school and get a real job" but it isn't that simple. College is expensive and if you are already struggling it's probably not in the budget. My husband and I work good jobs that are full time and I am also a student and text book cost still kill me every semester. I can't imagine doing that on a smaller salary. These restaurants can afford to pay more they just don't want to. The CEOs and execs get huge bonuses when they already make huge salaries yet the people at the bottom producing the profits rarely see any kind of bonus. McDonalds' CEO made nearly $14 mil in one year. The previous CEO got a $10 mil bonus to leave on top of his $17 mil salary. In store employees make $7-10/hr.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    In the current job market fast food is often the only work people can find. So it's no longer just 16 year olds and people just wanting a little extra cash. Also, the pay is quite low and nearly impossible to live on. People say "go to school and get a real job" but it isn't that simple. College is expensive and if you are already struggling it's probably not in the budget. My husband and I work good jobs that are full time and I am also a student and text book cost still kill me every semester. I can't imagine doing that on a smaller salary. These restaurants can afford to pay more they just don't want to. The CEOs and execs get huge bonuses when they already make huge salaries yet the people at the bottom producing the profits rarely see any kind of bonus. McDonalds' CEO made nearly $14 mil in one year. The previous CEO got a $10 mil bonus to leave on top of his $17 mil salary. In store employees make $7-10/hr.

Again, these jobs are UNSKILLED labor. They get paid like it. The company has no obligation to pay more for UNSKILLED labor.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

Nor is it supposed to be. Aspire to be more. Minimum wage isn't meant to pay a mortgage and car payments. It's to supplement another income, or get you through school with some cash for spending money. But i guess if you can parlay it with welfare, you might do ok.
  • kshadows
    Options

You are meant to. That's the whole point of minimum wage. To provide a livable wage for unskilled workers.

To provide for unskilled workers while they obtain skills to get a better paying job!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying that Minimum wage is not meant to be a Livable wage: That is absolutely its intent.

From the Fair Labor Standards act of 1938 (the thing that created minimum wage):

§ 202. Congressional finding and declaration of policy
    (a) The Congress finds that the existence, in industries engaged in commerce or in
    the production of goods for commerce, of labor conditions detrimental to the
    maintenance of the minimum standard of living necessary for health, efficiency, and
    general well-being of workers

(b) It is declared to be the policy of this chapter, through the exercise by Congress
    of its power to regulate commerce among the several States and with foreign
    nations, to correct and as rapidly as practicable to eliminate the conditions above
    referred to in such industries without substantially curtailing employment or earning
    power.

That pretty clearly states that minimum wage should be a livable wage.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

ideally it would work like that, but i don't think you can really be a full on capitalist country and expect this to work out in practice.

The reality of it is that if you can not/will not upgrade your skill sets then you need to work multiple jobs and perhaps well over 40 hrs a week to make a living wage
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The higher minimum wage goes up, the less value my own job holds. MY pay doesn't go up when minimum wage goes up.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When does this happen?
    Will there be people there when I go get my lunch today???