Fast Food Workers Strikes = Win for better health

Options

Replies

• penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Ummm... y'all are angry because fast food workers would like to be paid a fair wage?

My uncle worked in Wal-mart his entire life. He retired a millionaire because he used his money wisely, invested it and made something from that 'minimum wage' job.

I work in retail and many of my coworkers have held their job for 25 years or more. To them it IS a career. It is their ONLY career. SOMEBODY has to do these jobs so why shouldn't it be a career?

Somebody insinuated these jobs are meant to be stepping stones to REAL jobs? Really? And who is going to pay for that education for these people to acquire REAL careers if they're only barely making enough to make ends meet? Hmmmm?

Gosh guys. Check your privilege.

Maybe.. just maybe if they didn't buy $330 shoes or buy a $600 smart phone they would have the money to pay for that education.
    Also, if someone has been working retail for 25 years and is still at the bottom of the totem pole, that person is doing something very wrong.

I've worked retail and I started making slightly more than minimum wage. People get raises in those jobs, they move up in the company as they gain experience and show initiative. And then they get replaced by new people coming into the workforce.

Honestly, I don't think I ever actually made minimum wage, even with my first job. Most places offer a bit over that to start and then give regular raises and promotions.

Absolutely. You start at the bottom and work your way up. That's how my uncle made all his money and how my coworkers are doing so well after 25 years in the job. It can be a career if you treat it properly and work your way up.

I just hate the attitude that 'retail' is somehow a 'lesser' job and people should be working for something 'better'.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Jesus actually wept.

Its like the labour movement never existed.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This issue is much more complex than just "getting educated and getting a better job." The demographics of fast food workers surprise many people: the majority are older than 25, at least 30% have at least some college education, and about another 30% have at least one child to support. Many workers took FF jobs after being laid off from better paying jobs, so they took whatever they could get in order to keep working, and this has led to the FF industry being one of the fastest growing employers in the country. Unfortunately, the low pay and hours means many still have to rely on SNAP and WIC, which comes out of taxpayers' pockets whether they eat at FF joints or not. Entry-level jobs that are ideal for teenagers and high school graduates to help pay for some kind of advanced education, whether college or a trade, are instead going to older people, pushing youth out, making it more difficult for them to get educated if they don't qualify for scholarships or financial aid. Not to mention, the cost of college has skyrocketed in the last couple decades. In addition, the erratic work schedules at FF restaurants often make it difficult for someone to participate in educational enhancement or get a 2nd job so they can get ahead in life. Non-management FF workers rarely get health insurance, paid sick days, or any kind of retirement plan. Throw in an unexpected illness or injury and there's a good chance they'll be both out of a job and even more dependent on welfare. People with full-time jobs with benefits who complain that they don't make $15/hour need to look at their TOTAL compensation packages, because that's what your real salary is. You can get this information from your employer's HR department. For example, when I figure in my TC, I actually make about $12K more than my paid salary. Those things matter. Raising the FF minimum wage or providing workers with some kind of benefits would help reduce these workers' need for government aid, making us all better off. A reasonable argument could certainly be made as to whether $15 an hour is appropriate, or whether workers would be better off with decent benefits in place of higher pay. But as far as minimum wage increases causing proportional exorbitant increases in the cost of the food, well, the CEOs and other executives of these companies get huge salaries and bonuses, but no one complains about that affecting prices. In fact, places like In&Out Burger start their workers at $10/hour and offers benefits; for that the company gets happier, more committed, more experienced employees and a much lower turnover rate. Meanwhile, places like McDonald's are able to keep food costs unusually low BECAUSE their workers are so poorly compensated. There's a lot more to this and most social issues than meets the eye.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Ummm... y'all are angry because fast food workers would like to be paid a fair wage?

My uncle worked in Wal-mart his entire life. He retired a millionaire because he used his money wisely, invested it and made something from that 'minimum wage' job.

I work in retail and many of my coworkers have held their job for 25 years or more. To them it IS a career. It is their ONLY career. SOMEBODY has to do these jobs so why shouldn't it be a career?

Somebody insinuated these jobs are meant to be stepping stones to REAL jobs? Really? And who is going to pay for that education for these people to acquire REAL careers if they're only barely making enough to make ends meet? Hmmmm?

Maybe.. just maybe if they didn't buy $330 shoes or buy a $600 smart phone they would have the money to pay for that education.

And what if they don't have $330 shoes OR a $600 smart phone and STILL live paycheque to paycheque? Who's going to pay for them to get a 'REAL' job?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that they shouldn't make minimum wage, it's more about fair working conditions and livable wage/hours. Minimum wage isn't a liveable wage in most states and then to top it off the fast food places only give their workers about 10 hours a week but they make their schedules sporadically making it very hard for them to get a second job.

I work for the state. I don't make a livable wage!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My highest wage as store manager was $8.75. I worked my butt off and received little-nothing in return.

That's more than I made as a reporter, which required a degree and very specific skills. It also required I have my own vehicle.

I am leaning towards the idea that $8.75 is incredibly low amount for a reporter in this day and age.
    You'd be surprised. We aren't all Ted Koppel.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Also, if someone has been working retail for 25 years and is still at the bottom of the totem pole, that person is doing something very wrong.

I've worked retail and I started making slightly more than minimum wage. People get raises in those jobs, they move up in the company as they gain experience and show initiative. And then they get replaced by new people coming into the workforce.

Honestly, I don't think I ever actually made minimum wage, even with my first job. Most places offer a bit over that to start and then give regular raises and promotions.

Absolutely. You start at the bottom and work your way up. That's how my uncle made all his money and how my coworkers are doing so well after 25 years in the job. It can be a career if you treat it properly and work your way up.

I just hate the attitude that 'retail' is somehow a 'lesser' job and people should be working for something 'better'.
    I think by "better." they mean something better than that minimum-wage entry-level position. It isn't that retail isn't a "real" job, but that an adult supporting a family shouldn't be working his or her entire life in a job a high school student qualifies for.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Jesus actually wept.

Its like the labour movement never existed.
    this
  • pepperpat64
    Options

How do you know those items weren't gifts, or purchased at thrift shops, or obtained on some sort of payment plan? You'd be amazed at the high-end clothing you can find at thrift shops. And pretty nice phones are available on monthly payment plans - they don't need to cost a fortune up front. In many cases, a smart phone is the only phone/internet access a person has - kind of important if you're trying to get in touch with prospective employers. Don't be so quick to judge.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think what really needs to happen is that some controls need to be put in place to manage the cost of living. I have worked fast food. We all have. It was never a livable wage. It was never meant to be a livable wage. But the cost of living gets higher and higher and wages, in general (not just fast food), have not kept up.

Honestly, demanding that something be done to lower the cost of living... that's a cause I could support and rally behind and protest for.
  • emsainz23
    Options
    I'm not really following your logic here, sorry.

Yeah me either. All the company has to do is fire those people who refuse to go to work and hire more.

It's not the fast food industry's fault that people are obese. No one is forcing you to eat it 24/7.

You and someone else said, it’s about personal responsibility. Sounds like everyone before the industrial revolution(before obesity started to get out of hand) everyone exercised personal responsibility. Junk food is cheaper than healthier food. You think back in the day people counted calories? You think animals in the wild practice calorie counting? The issue we’re eating food that we’re not designed to eat. You have the equation backwards, we’re not getting fatter because we’re eating more. We’re eating more cause we’re getting fatter. Child who grow “over consume calories” they get bigger. Yet not necessarily fatter. The issue isn’t over consumption of calories, it’s the way the foods we eat has an effect on our hormones. Most of the junk food out there today, is highly calorie dense, with sugar, which makes us hungrier. I would estimate 95% of the food we eat isn’t natural. But it’s the personal lacking responsibility. Tell that to any obese person who has tried countless times to lose weight, tell them they’re inactive, lazy, and just eat too much. See what they say… The problem is deeper than what you think.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This issue is much more complex than just "getting educated and getting a better job." The demographics of fast food workers surprise many people: the majority are older than 25, at least 30% have at least some college education, and about another 30% have at least one child to support.

[ ... ]

In addition, the erratic work schedules at FF restaurants often make it difficult for someone to participate in educational enhancement or get a 2nd job so they can get ahead in life. Non-management FF workers rarely get health insurance, paid sick days, or any kind of retirement plan. Throw in an unexpected illness or injury and there's a good chance they'll be both out of a job and even more dependent on welfare.

This. I worked as a fast food Shift Supervisor after college because I took time off before grad school in order to get the in-state tuition rate later. I eventually left that job for my two current (retail/administrative) since I want to be debt-free within five years with a PhD in seven. Many of my coworkers were either in college or already had a degree/certification, and were willing to work wherever it took in order to pay the bills.

A minimum wage job isn't always a sign of stupidity or educational lack. Several jobs for FT require experience and/or a MA or higher. The job I want requires a high level of proficiency in Mandarin, for example, and I'm not quite fluent enough (they want a 5 -6, I'm only at a 4 on the FBI language chart). I personally first chose a job that would let me pay bills in lieu of having no paycheck, and I didn't want a blank spot on my resume while I work towards my ultimate career path.

I see no reason to demonize these kinds of jobs if you have no idea of the worker's goals or motives. Unless you know exactly why I work there, and hear it from my own mouth, you have no right to judge my choice.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This issue is much more complex than just "getting educated and getting a better job." The demographics of fast food workers surprise many people: the majority are older than 25, at least 30% have at least some college education, and about another 30% have at least one child to support. Many workers took FF jobs after being laid off from better paying jobs, so they took whatever they could get in order to keep working, and this has led to the FF industry being one of the fastest growing employers in the country. Unfortunately, the low pay and hours means many still have to rely on SNAP and WIC, which comes out of taxpayers' pockets whether they eat at FF joints or not. Entry-level jobs that are ideal for teenagers and high school graduates to help pay for some kind of advanced education, whether college or a trade, are instead going to older people, pushing youth out, making it more difficult for them to get educated if they don't qualify for scholarships or financial aid. Not to mention, the cost of college has skyrocketed in the last couple decades. In addition, the erratic work schedules at FF restaurants often make it difficult for someone to participate in educational enhancement or get a 2nd job so they can get ahead in life. Non-management FF workers rarely get health insurance, paid sick days, or any kind of retirement plan. Throw in an unexpected illness or injury and there's a good chance they'll be both out of a job and even more dependent on welfare. People with full-time jobs with benefits who complain that they don't make $15/hour need to look at their TOTAL compensation packages, because that's what your real salary is. You can get this information from your employer's HR department. For example, when I figure in my TC, I actually make about $12K more than my paid salary. Those things matter. Raising the FF minimum wage or providing workers with some kind of benefits would help reduce these workers' need for government aid, making us all better off. A reasonable argument could certainly be made as to whether $15 an hour is appropriate, or whether workers would be better off with decent benefits in place of higher pay. But as far as minimum wage increases causing proportional exorbitant increases in the cost of the food, well, the CEOs and other executives of these companies get huge salaries and bonuses, but no one complains about that affecting prices. In fact, places like In&Out Burger start their workers at $10/hour and offers benefits; for that the company gets happier, more committed, more experienced employees and a much lower turnover rate. Meanwhile, places like McDonald's are able to keep food costs unusually low BECAUSE their workers are so poorly compensated. There's a lot more to this and most social issues than meets the eye.

I could hug you. :flowerforyou: Good explanation.

Bottom line- It isn't a simple issue and everyone's situation is not the same
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I think what really needs to happen is that some controls need to be put in place to manage the cost of living. I have worked fast food. We all have. It was never a livable wage. It was never meant to be a livable wage. But the cost of living gets higher and higher and wages, in general (not just fast food), have not kept up.

Honestly, demanding that something be done to lower the cost of living... that's a cause I could support and rally behind and protest for.

Yes.

See: The entire history of the labour movement Wat Tyler - Lech Walesa.

It gets pretty interesting 1848-1952.....
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The fastfood workers are useful idiots that are being used by SEIU.....the union could give a rats *kitten* about the plight of the fry cooker....if you raise the minimum raise you increase all wages....this ploy is to try to save SEIU......which organzes home care workers who make min. wage to $10 p/hr and these slime balls take union days from them....Let's remember these workers have to have pictures of items on the register to ring up orders.....if it goes to $15 per hour......I have been practicing "Would you like frys with that"....I am all in at 15 per......
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    At this point in time I don't think its feasible to raise minimum wage much. The big Fast food Chains could probably afford a little more but the smaller companies can not. Fair or not fair, you can't raise wages to the point of putting people out of business.

However, I think there are a lot of unfair practices going on in Fast food and similar companies.
    If you can't hire someone full time, you should at the very least be able to give them a reasonably stable schedule, so they can find additional work to supplement their income or have time to take classes. Community colleges are very affordable, and there are plenty of grants you can use to pay for schooling if you make very little.
  • Cielazul
    Cielazul Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am very much in favor of doubling the minimum wage.

We, as taxpayers, are subsidizing these corporations through corporate tax breaks, and governmental benefits provided for their workers, who are paid laughably low wages. I think that no business has a God-given right to exist in this country if it cannot meet a minimal standard of decent treatment of and pay for its employees. If you cannot pay your employees a decent wage, you do not have a valid business plan!!

Not everyone has the transportation to be able to travel to a better paying job, the confidence to try to achieve something better, or the family financial backup to take time away from paid work to be able to spend time training through school or whatever for a new career.

When people are at work, they are trading precious hours of their lives for money, and there should be a decent minimum wage, enough to allow people to afford housing and other basic needs, and a bit of cash to put away as well. Even though working at a fast food place may seem a "low-skill" job, those folks are on their feet constantly, hustling, putting up with often disrespectful customers, and I think they deserve monetary recognition for that.

I have 11 years of post-high-school education and training, and am lucky enough to have a well-paid, very interesting career. It bothers me that there are so many folks out there who have the unlucky combination of poorly-paid and stressful/dull work. At least we can legislate some relief for them as far as pay goes.
  • LanceDuvall
    Options
    you are not lucky....you gave up 11 years of your life to train yourself for a future....
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    I am very much in favor of doubling the minimum wage.

We, as taxpayers, are subsidizing these corporations through corporate tax breaks, and governmental benefits provided for their workers, who are paid laughably low wages. I think that no business has a God-given right to exist in this country if it cannot meet a minimal standard of decent treatment of and pay for its employees. If you cannot pay your employees a decent wage, you do not have a valid business plan!!

Not everyone has the transportation to be able to travel to a better paying job, the confidence to try to achieve something better, or the family financial backup to take time away from paid work to be able to spend time training through school or whatever for a new career.

When people are at work, they are trading precious hours of their lives for money, and there should be a decent minimum wage, enough to allow people to afford housing and other basic needs, and a bit of cash to put away as well. Even though working at a fast food place may seem a "low-skill" job, those folks are on their feet constantly, hustling, putting up with often disrespectful customers, and I think they deserve monetary recognition for that.

I have 11 years of post-high-school education and training, and am lucky enough to have a well-paid, very interesting career. It bothers me that there are so many folks out there who have the unlucky combination of poorly-paid and stressful/dull work. At least we can legislate some relief for them as far as pay goes.

Good points. I always wonder why people who rant against a minimum wage increase don't seem to care when under-performing CEOs get big salary increases and bonuses. All those things add to the cost of a product or service one buys. However, giving low-wage workers a little more money also helps to stimulate the economy, because such workers spend most of their money on the consumable goods that drive Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Not to mention, higher wages help reduce government assistance payouts, and that's good for all taxpayers.
  • LanceDuvall
    Options
    I have re-thought my postion....in order to have an apartment, food, electric and the other neceissities of life in New York City.....to have all needs met....the minimum wage should be raised to 50K....that's a fair wage.....