DO I REALLY NEED TO GIVE UP CARBS

Options

Replies

• iwesleyscott
    Options
    There is no single answer to your question. It really depends on your body type and medical situation.

The fact is that some people can handle more carbs than others and still maintain a healthy metabolism.

For me, carbohydrates - both simple and complex - tend to trigger my hunger drive. The more I eat, the more I want to eat more. I don't have that problem with fats or whole-food proteins.

The one macronutrient I can binge on is carbohydrate and an hour later still want more.

By keeping my total carbohydrate level between 50 and 100 grams a day, I find that my hunger drops significantly yet I don't crave carbs. Under 50 grams and I find myself craving carbohydrate unless I go full ketogenic which can take 3+ weeks. My "sweet spot" (pun intended) is between 50 and 100g total carbohydrate a day. And by keeping my hunger down, I can reduce caloric intake and still feel good.

Interestingly enough, I also notice that keeping carbs under 100g a day significantly reduces water retention. I suspect it has to do with my body dumping sodium, but who knows. Without living in an experimental laboratory environment 24/7 it is all just speculation.

If you are really interested in this topic, I highly recommend the work of Dr. Peter Attia M.D. He is a performance athlete, medical doctor, and nutritional researcher.

He also has a really inspiring TED talk.

Dr. Attia is the first to say that every body is different. But if you are having long-term weight problems and showing signs of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, you are likely having issues that relate to carbohydrate metabolism.

A final bit of advice. Nutrition is an extremely complex topic. Be careful of those giving short 'yes' or 'no' answers. Like most things in life, it isn't that simple. I can only advise you to experiment for yourself. MyFitnessPal is the perfect tool for that. If you find reducing carbohydrate helps, do it. If it doesn't, by all means enjoy them... in moderation :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    NO! UGH!! When will that notion DIE?

Only processed white carbs like apples and potatoes.

And this^^^ is the biggest load of horse manure EVER! Apples especially are extremely good for you. And it's a complex carb. Which by anybody's theory… is a good carb.
    Apples are simple carbs and contain mostly monosaccharides.........people really need to forget about the terminology of carbs and look at the food instead.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    nope
  • neanderthin
    Options
    There is no single answer to your question. It really depends on your body type and medical situation.

The fact is that some people can handle more carbs than others and still maintain a healthy metabolism.

For me, carbohydrates - both simple and complex - tend to trigger my hunger drive. The more I eat, the more I want to eat more. I don't have that problem with fats or whole-food proteins.

The one macronutrient I can binge on is carbohydrate and an hour later still want more.

By keeping my total carbohydrate level between 50 and 100 grams a day, I find that my hunger drops significantly yet I don't crave carbs. Under 50 grams and I find myself craving carbohydrate unless I go full ketogenic which can take 3+ weeks. My "sweet spot" (pun intended) is between 50 and 100g total carbohydrate a day. And by keeping my hunger down, I can reduce caloric intake and still feel good.

Interestingly enough, I also notice that keeping carbs under 100g a day significantly reduces water retention. I suspect it has to do with my body dumping sodium, but who knows. Without living in an experimental laboratory environment 24/7 it is all just speculation.

If you are really interested in this topic, I highly recommend the work of Dr. Peter Attia M.D. He is a performance athlete, medical doctor, and nutritional researcher.

He also has a really inspiring TED talk.

Dr. Attia is the first to say that every body is different. But if you are having long-term weight problems and showing signs of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, you are likely having issues that relate to carbohydrate metabolism.

A final bit of advice. Nutrition is an extremely complex topic. Be careful of those giving short 'yes' or 'no' answers. Like most things in life, it isn't that simple. I can only advise you to experiment for yourself. MyFitnessPal is the perfect tool for that. If you find reducing carbohydrate helps, do it. If it doesn't, by all means enjoy them... in moderation :)
    No bias or agenda here.
  • Miss_Carlie
    Options
    You don't need to cut carbs entirely in my opinon. After all there is carbs in a banana and they are extremely healthy and bursting with energy. If you want to watch carbs, then cut down on the amount of pasta and white rice you eat. Try brown rice instead as it has less carbs I believe and has so much more flavour anyway
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've tried lots of techniques over 20 years. I have come to the realisation that one technique does not fit all. I am unable to exercise much due to injury. I can pull my calories down to 1000 per day and achieve practically nothing. The ONLY thing that works for me is to cut carbs to the bone. Dukan to the rescue.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yup, understanding what a carb is, makes peoples brains fall out.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    What do you have against white carbs? You know what, im not eating any afro-american carbs from now on, how do you feel now, mahcrackkkaah?
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

Wow, she's about to finish her 8-hour course on bro-science,look guys, she's not gonna lie!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ivhger.gif

25600-Ice-Cream-Gif_zpscb827a21.gif

That's it.. You've forced my hand. ... I'll be in my fort if anyone needs me

m9pxcm.jpg

Damn your fort looks good.

I'm all up for invaders

YAY! I'll bring my homemade ice cream. :bigsmile:

3143b82f-772e-4856-9284-525027ecc797_zps446a38e9.jpg

It's not terribly pretty, but it's delicious.

It's beautiful.... May I garnish?

2eofxis.jpg

Ooooo great idea!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not!!! Your body needs carbs. . You should be more concerned about the types of carbs you are eating and the time of day that you are consuming them. . . :bigsmile:

Ignore the time of day thing. It does not matter when you eat your carbs.

I am about to certify as a physical trainer and yes if you eat complex carbs for dinner unless you are doing a late workout they just sit in your system while you are watching tv and sleeping. . .

now fruit and veggies in the evening are okay. but breads rices, and pastas should be eaten earlier in the day.

So what if they sit in my system? You're telling me my body shuts down completely at night and that the activity I do throughout the day or even the next day doesn't matter? Game over? Or?

Because...this entire pint of gelato I'm eating tonight RIGHT before bed is still gonna happen because 53 lbs lost and considerably amount of body fat lost later....I think I'm doing okay. You can keep your quackery.

If you need a second reference to this you might pick up a copy of BOB HARPERS BOOK " Skinny Meals" And Please feel free to tell him as a physical trainer that he doesn't know what he is talking about. . . I think his record speaks for itself!:smile:

Isn't that the Biggest Loser guy who recommends 800 calorie diets? Yeah, no, I don't consider him a reputable source. Do you have others? Did you look at the article that I linked? It has studies attached.
  • hgffgyyu
    Options
    "People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?_r=0
  • ghurl7
    ghurl7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    absolutely .............. NOT ... lol .... especially good carbs from fruits, veg, oats etc. etc...

it is the "amount of body-movement or calorie-burning actions" that must be practiced & partnered with a good-enough diet that works specific to your body / health ...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    NO! UGH!! When will that notion DIE?

And this^^^ is the biggest load of horse manure EVER! Apples especially are extremely good for you. And it's a complex carb. Which by anybody's theory… is a good carb.

I expect the original comment was a joke, but fruits are simple carbs. In their haste to create bad and good categories people misunderstand the simple complex distinction all the time. Potatoes are complex carbs, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut carbs entirely in my opinon. After all there is carbs in a banana and they are extremely healthy and bursting with energy. If you want to watch carbs, then cut down on the amount of pasta and white rice you eat. Try brown rice instead as it has less carbs I believe and has so much more flavour anyway

Why would brown rice have fewer carbs?

I just compared some, and for a quarter cup dry they had identical carbs, 36 grams. The white was 160 calories and had only one gram of fiber and protein (but it was enriched with various micros). The brown was 170 calories and had 2 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein and probably retains some of the micros the while is enriched with.

I like whole grains in general, but with rice in particular I think people often assume there's some huge difference there's just not.

I suppose some people tend to overeat rice and are less likely to do so with brown, but rice is one food I know I won't overeat. I do prefer brown in some meals which is why it's the only kind I currently own.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options

How do apples and potatoes get categorised as processed? OMG, this person knows zero about nutrition and food.

To answer the OPs question. It is a good idea to reduce your processed carbs considerably. Maximise your whole foods.

The best reason to reduce processed and refined carbs is because they are digested quite quickly and can cause you to be hungry sooner. The less refined carbs you eat, the more your food will satisfy you, the healthier it is and you will undoubtedly live longer.

However, there is an interesting diet on which you can eat whatever you want - if you insist. Its called the 5:2 fasting diet. You fast two days a week, eating 500 calories per day. A fast is from the end of dinner to breakfast time the day after next i.e. about 36 hours. Or you can do two consecutive days which i prefer.

Check out the fast diet website and read the faq to learn more.

But on non-fast days you can just eat to your TDEE. Most people seem to find this diet quite easy and they enjoy it because they don't have to radically change the foods they eat.

That said, it think most people tend to start choosing more healthy foods as they go along.

If you do a fast most people find it best to eat two meals and not early in the day. I have lunch and then an early evening meal. To get the most bang for your fasting buck, eat vegetables and fruit and also protein if you want. I also still have coffee with milk.

This is what i ate today:
    lunch 4 vegetables, steamed then sautéed in 2tsp olive oil
    150g paw paw/fruit
    nescafe with milk

mid afternoon, i went out to a class and had a necafe with milk

came home, heated up 2 cups of a vegetable soup i'd made previously
    then 150g of strawberries
    nescafe with milk.

Many people find it quite helpful to keep busy on fasting days so they don't have to think about food too much.
    Tomorrow I'm going to a festival and taking a big salad for lunch and some fruit for the way home.
    I might buy a coffee when i'im there.
    Tomorrow night i will have another bowl of soup i guess.

Its good not to stay up too late. Or to go to bed when you get hungry. Though some people find it hard to get to sleep.
    Drink plenty of water on fast days. As with every other day to avoid dehydration headaches.
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    no!!!!! don't be silly...everything in moderation..
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options
    How do apples and potatoes get categorised as processed? OMG, this person knows zero about nutrition and food.
    OMG, that went right over your head.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I just cut down on carbs. No way I'll cut them out. If you go too low, you get into ketosis and that may or may not be where you want to go. I average 50 to 80 grams of carbs on most days. That's relatively low but not considered "low carb." But, everyone is different.