Fashion faux pas, let's have 'em!

Options
124»

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I have my own: I am wearing white ankle socks with my navy blue pants and when I sit and cross my legs you can see them, even though my pants are wide leg and more than long enough.
    And the fact that I was this morning wearing pink fleece socks with the same outfit until it warmed up and my feet got too hot.

I used to dress more fashionably and when I travel for work or go out I follow all the rules, etc...commit no gaspy fashion faux pas and dress to the nines with all high end stuff.
    However, I have come to admit that I am a "pacific northwest girl" and it rains here way too much to dress in heels and I work in a warehouse and have to slipped on oil and bearings and have d@mn near fallen before..and that is when the cute stuff went away. Now its all fleece and warm and short dangly earrings instead of my pretty, long dangly earrings..sigh...being practical blows sometimes!
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    This is a funny post...especially all of the back-pedaling when someone takes offense to what you personally find unfashionable.

I live in Utah, and there are some awesome faux-pas to choose from. Just this morning, I saw a girl in cuffed short jean shorts, uggs, soccer socks, and a parka. Another favorite are the oompa loompas that walk around trying to keep up their fake tans in 20 degree F weather. I also like the Utah Hair which basically looks like you put a bump-it in your hair, but it is accomplished with hairspray and a comb. Good mercy!

I agree with everyone that mentioned pajama pants and crocs. Who cares how comfortable they are, you look 5!

Oompa Loompas....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am learning so much! I too hate crocs, boys in skinny jeans, and have not seen a boots with shorts pairing, so I don't know, maybe there are some club go-go dancers who could pull that off but I won't try.
    I think pantyhose are ok in winter and only with a closed toe shoe. The fashion mags claim I can wear black tights and open-toed shoes but I am not going to do it, I think it looks ridiculous, except on the models but they seem to look good in everything.
    I think leg-warmers are coming back, I haven't seen them on many adults, but have seen them in stores so someone is buying them.
    I think jeans tucked into boots looks great but it used to be a faux pas for the country crowd.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Whoever told you ladies that those baggy thin dress coulotte things looked good with boots was laughing at you! Boots with City shorts is the same thing.
    I know what you mean, I cannot get used to that!
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1. running shoes with jeans
    2. "mommy" jeans, you know, the high-waist and straight-leg ones
    3. animal print overload
    4. those tiny bolero jackets/sweaters, if worn by anyone other than a teen-ager.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Another one I hate is people, larger women in particular, that wear spandex as shorts when they are out in public rather than simply exercising. Those spandex shorts you find in the active wear section are made just for that!!! :flowerforyou:

Maybe they think the spandex holds them in? But even if it does, shouldn't that be done under your actual clothes since they do sell items that do that?

I remember visiting my Aunt Donna when she lived near Branson, Missouri, and some of these ladies actually wore spandex shorts and sports bras and nothing else to go to the store...or anywhere else, for that matter. That was just their outfit. Normally coupled with some tacky looking sandals.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Another one I hate is people, larger women in particular, that wear spandex as shorts when they are out in public rather than simply exercising. Those spandex shorts you find in the active wear section are made just for that!!! :flowerforyou:

Maybe they think the spandex holds them in? But even if it does, shouldn't that be done under your actual clothes since they do sell items that do that?

I remember visiting my Aunt Donna when she lived near Branson, Missouri, and some of these ladies actually wore spandex shorts and sports bras and nothing else to go to the store...or anywhere else, for that matter. That was just their outfit. Normally coupled with some tacky looking sandals.

My imagination is quite good....and even though I wasn't there...that image is now burned into my corneas. Ack, you poor thing.
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    For some reason, when women wear pantyhose with sandals or a peeptoe and you can see the little seam in the toe of the pantyhose and when people wear socks with sandals. It's like an oxymoron. Warm enough for sandals.....not warm enough for sandals...... It's just me though.:ohwell:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Oh one of the trends right now that I just can not wrap my head around for the purpose of is the peeptoe bootie or the sandle with the boot like ankle wrap. Is it a boot is it a sandal who knows?
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

What's wrong with running shoes with jeans??? If it is the right style of jeans looser fit, lighter colored, and more relaxed, I don't see anything wrong with that...

I personally think it's ridiculous when women especially wear sweat shirts or T-shirts with jeans and then put on a pair of healed boots! I mean you're obviously going for casual, comfortable why ruin that with a pair of dressy boots!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't get the running shoes with jeans either. I do it ALL the time on the weekends, particularly when running errands as I have a bad ankle. I'm not one to commit fashion faux pas either:smile:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    For some reason, when women wear pantyhose with sandals or a peeptoe and you can see the little seam in the toe of the pantyhose and when people wear socks with sandals. It's like an oxymoron. Warm enough for sandals.....not warm enough for sandals...... It's just me though.:ohwell:

This is definatly not just you! I hate pantyhose nas tights with open toed shoes! Probably my second most hated things next to teh PJ"s in public ei mentioned before.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Oh one of the trends right now that I just can not wrap my head around for the purpose of is the peeptoe bootie or the sandle with the boot like ankle wrap. Is it a boot is it a sandal who knows?

I agree. Espically on the sandle boots!

I personally hate gladiator sandles. I could faind sandle for work this summer to save my life everytging was a flip flops which we aren't alowed to wear) or gladiator sandles.

I wear running shoes with jean's all the time espically durring errends.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I own lotsss of leg warmers and I KNOW people think I am ridiculous... but I love love love them lol and oh yeah... I wear them with skirts and flip flops... god i hate myself right now haha. fishnets and cowboy boots... hmn I wonder what they would say in my office LOL
    They're back in style again:wink: so no worries!:happy: I've seen them in so many stores this Season. They serve the purpose well in the Winter for sure:drinker: Plus they can look pretty darn cute on some folks:smokin:
  • sunnyk8
    sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Leggings as PANTS. I freaking HATE this one. Leggings go UNDER things... dresses/skirts... they are NOT PANTS. So please, do not wear your tshirt and then a pair of leggings. If you are wearing a shirt-dress/sweater-dress that is actually LONG enough to cover your butt then fine... I would say mid thigh is about the shortest shirt you should be wearing with your leggings (assuming you don't have a skirt on).

And, I also think that leggings look best on certain people with the right legs. Not everyone was made for them. I certainly don't feel comfortable in them because they cling so much and you can see every imperfection. Lots of people who shouldn't be wearing leggings do and it looks awful. Same with skinny jeans!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

What's wrong with running shoes with jeans??? If it is the right style of jeans looser fit, lighter colored, and more relaxed, I don't see anything wrong with that...

I hope there's nothing wrong with that, that's my work uniform! :laugh: