hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Show us with your feels how they hurt you sweet pea. :flowerforyou:

quick...who's got the crisis crayons?

fat-emo-girl_o_710127.jpg
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)

You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?

Or, in the immortal words of Sargent Hulka "Lighten up Francis!"

I have a gif for that!
    tumblr_mtpm52pn7e1sj3oxho1_400.gif
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    omg lol love it! haha so weird trolls dont usually bug me but on this site for some reason it was maybe im just pms sentitive lmao but this is great

wait... you're allowed to blame your behavior on PMS but if I ask if its that time of the month, its bad?

Yeah, absolutely! Assuming stuff about other people's bodies is always rude.

Here's some cool stuff I learned about hormones. People say women are all irrational and get angry about nothing when they're PMSing, right? But testosterone is highest just before menstruation. That means that women are hormonally closest to being men when they're premenstrual. Hormonally speaking post-menopausal women are the most stable, more so than men, and yet hormonal instability has been used as a reason to prevent women from attaining positions of power. Innnnnteresting, huh?

Also, if someone is angry and is feeling it more because of hormones, that doesn't mean the cause isn't there.

This isn't directed at you, person-who-posted-the-nice-dark-haired-man-from-Vampire-Diaries-being-emotional. It's just, I thought it was cool so I shared it.

Blame it on the guy (hormone). TYPICAL FEMALE RESPONSE

Also, that is interesting
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    609eaf29e9a57e9ebdb71bc63bee980f.jpg

OMG.. this is awesome!!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I imagine your negative experience stems from making a thread offering to be a diet coach based on being vegan, taking a few nutrition classes, and your "wellness coach" career working as a Curves coach. Add to that the assertion that dairy is horrible for weight loss, people who do lose weight while eating dairy do not have ideal weight loss, and that those who consume dairy are not in optimal health, plus some theories about the vast conspiracy of America's dairy farmers and how cow's milk will make people fat because baby cows drink it and they get big very quickly.

Seriously?? It all makes sense now! Thank you for the enlightenment :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    i notice there are a lot of people in these forums who only comment to be negative or bash anyone who gives advice, why are you on a social fitness site if you dont want help? How do you all deal with these trolls? iv been using the forum for like 3 days and its already pissing me off lol

Why am I here? Because MFP was the first, online food diary that allowed me to track sodium. I have since found another that will track sodium, but I stick around MFP because I already have my food entered into the database. I'm not here to get advice (at first, but my threads asking for help were ignored, lol). I'm here mostly for the fun and random gifs that crop up so I can add them to my collection.

tumblr_n98aivuOLE1sj3oxho1_400.gif

I'm likely on your "troll" list, so if you read this you can enjoy some ALS Ice Bucket Challenge tastiness:
    tumblr_natyovDLtj1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Review the community guidelines - there's a link to them in the page footer. A lot of those awful comments are definitely against the guidelines. Whenever someone is pissing me off and they're violating those guidelines, I report the comment. And then, if they piss me off more than once, I also click the little arrow underneath their profile picture in the thread, and choose to ignore the user.

There are just some people who come onto every thread with criticism, or inappropriate sexual comments, or a terrible attitude, and clicking that ignore button is magic - you don't have to deal with them anymore. :)
    You've been here a month and report a lot already? May I suggest more ignoring, less reporting?
    If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

:angry:

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Same. I only use the "tattletale" button for spammers.
    Shrug - I don't feel an obligation to let people be awful to one another because I'm afraid someone might call me "butthurt". Sounds kind of middle school, if you ask me. If you don't feel like using the report button, fine; but I really have no sympathy for people who get reported for doing mean things that are against the rules. That's the purpose of the Community Guidelines and the purpose of the report button. We all agreed to the rules when we signed up, so when people break them...

So you get your feelings hurt because someone might not agree with you or might be too blunt for you and you think it's reason to report someone. Sadly it's people like you and this thinking that has gotten a lot of very knowledgeable people banned.
    Where did I say that I randomly report people I disagree with? Nope - only people who are breaking the rules of the community.

Do you know the guidelines, or what happens when someone is reported? Reporting doesn't automatically cause anything to happen. It alerts the moderators, who decide what the appropriate action is. There's a warning system. It's not like I'm condemning someone to permanent banning by hitting that button. I'm just alerting the moderators that things are getting out of hand, and letting them handle it. If they disagree with my assessment, then there are no consequences.

If the knowledgeable people who got banned were repeatedly breaking the guidelines and ignoring warnings, which is what it takes to actually get banned, then it sounds appropriate to me.

I sure do hope you are getting paid for your time... Would hate for you to spend so much time looking for out of hand situations so they can be reported. *Shrug* The internet just isn't for everyone I guess, to me my time would be much better spent reading a book or working out instead of looking for people to report.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I came for the .gifs.

:angry: I heard there was cake
  • lizzybathory
    Options
    I sure do hope you are getting paid for your time... Would hate for you to spend so much time looking for out of hand situations so they can be reported. *Shrug* The internet just isn't for everyone I guess, to me my time would be much better spent reading a book or working out instead of looking for people to report.
    Lol - I've tried to get some good reading done in the time I would otherwise spend reporting posts, but I just can't make much progress doing it five seconds at a time like that. :laugh:
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I came for the .gifs.

chocolate cheesecake at that!
    And beer!
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Lol - I've tried to get some good reading done in the time I would otherwise spend reporting posts, but I just can't make much progress doing it five seconds at a time like that. :laugh:
    Not a multi tasker I see, and also not getting paid for your services. . . That's too bad :ohwell:
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i notice there are a lot of people in these forums who only comment to be negative or bash anyone who gives advice, why are you on a social fitness site if you dont want help? How do you all deal with these trolls? iv been using the forum for like 3 days and its already pissing me off lol

Why am I here? Because MFP was the first, online food diary that allowed me to track sodium. I have since found another that will track sodium, but I stick around MFP because I already have my food entered into the database. I'm not here to get advice (at first, but my threads asking for help were ignored, lol). I'm here mostly for the fun and random gifs that crop up so I can add them to my collection.

tumblr_n98aivuOLE1sj3oxho1_400.gif

I'm likely on your "troll" list, so if you read this you can enjoy some ALS Ice Bucket Challenge tastiness:
    tumblr_natyovDLtj1sj3oxho1_500.gif
    i actually applaud your honesty, and did enjoy the gif i now will note to laugh at your jokes but ignore any negativity :) no bad blood :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    In for mean people and gifs!!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I came for the .gifs.

There was, but all the mean people ate it.
    cake-o.gif
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hai.
    24eowg5.gif
  • Return_of_the_Big_Mac
    Options
    bd8f0a04_ec83_4ad8_b3a8_cc2776776caf-s500x511-148780.jpg
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options

If people saying mean things are breaking the rules we all agreed to, I see no reason not to report. That's the purpose of the button. Why does this bother you?

this explains. SO much.

:angry:

Yup...the only threads/posts I report after 1 year + of being here are those awful selling something posts...the rest eh...I put my big girl panties on (no not granny ones either) and move on with my day...
    Same. I only use the "tattletale" button for spammers.

This
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Really? I've been here for a ween I think and I love it! It's helpful and fun. Of course there are those "cheeseburgers lovers" who hate on everyone who's trying to be healthy. I mostly ignore them since 1. They are NOT trying to be healthy. 2. They have a high metabolism that they don't need to worry about weights.

Not that I'm proud of it but I used to hate on salad eaters. I used to have high metabolism and always was that double digit tiny girl. Nachos, ramen, white rice, fries you name it, I ate it all and never gained a pound. So I had no idea how people gained weight if I didn't. Anyways, 3 years ago, I started working and got a desk job. I was barely active and ate little. Ended up gaining weight and slowing down my metabolism. Sigh!

Now I started eating somewhat healthy. Never knew salad was actually very delicious until I tried. Don't like burgers as much now. I still eat little but trying really hard to increase it slowly. Now I can totally understand how hard or hard work it is to be healthy and lose weight once you have tasted junk food.

Bottom line, they have their stories and don't feel so bad. Ignore and focus on the solution you came here to find. Wala! This site is super helpful and I feel more motivated.

Cheeseburger lovers?! All the lolz. Oh you, you poor clean eating thing.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

Wala???
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I always try to give honest advice and only on stuff I am knowledgeable about, but whenever you post something on the Internet you have to accept that people disagree and some people won't be nice about it. Posting to a public forum on the Internet is blasting your question to everyone... you can't do that and then complain that "unwelcome" opinions were provided, they are welcome by the way you asked your question.

If you want to weed out these people, either post a question on your feed so only your friends can see it, or start a group that you moderate and only let in the target audience you want.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Those people are everywhere, on every site and there's nothing you can do except...beat them at their own game. There's nothing a troll hates more than being trolled.