My Success story, and advice for weight loss

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat things in moderation, yep I said moderation. You have every right to do things that work for you and in a way that makes you happy. It is wonderful that you have lost as much weight as you have and that is more than commendable and you should be proud of yourself. No doubt about that. But, you don't get to tell other people how to do this. People are trying and doing things the best they can. You aren't a nutritionist or doctor and you have no idea what goes on in people's lives. Stating what works for you is wonderful, but harping at others about how they choose to live isn't encouraging. As far as organic, my guys father eats strictly organic. He himself says it has no more nutritional value than regular foods, it is only chemical free and expensive. 5 bucks for a loaf a bread is too expensive for me. Not everyone can afford the specialty foods. And sugar may be bad but sweetners are just as bad if not worse. I am keeping my sugar.
  • adamgoleafs87
    adamgoleafs87 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify my point about organic, if all you have access to is conventionally grown veg, its better than eating junk. But conventionally grown are often sprayed with toxic pesticides that the govt wants us to think are safe. Just like they want us to think the chemicals and other toxic ingredients they use in processed foods are safe. But there not, and frankly some of us dont care, or at least dont know. We are so addicted to them, that it doesnt matter. Even if they are making us chronicly ill, doctors will never tell you its the food your eating thats making you sick.

Many "organic" veggies are also sprayed as well, don't believe that just because it says organic it is better for you.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Fat does not make you fat! - Sugar does! 

This made me laugh so hard I almost shot powdered donut out of my nose. Do you even science, OP?

Calorie surplus makes you fat. I'm all for getting a balanced diet and I know this might shock you but...you can still be healthy and consume fast food, ice cream, pizza! /mindblown

I'm sorry that you are behind on the current understandings. There is more to our bodies than just calories in calories out. And to keep disease and illness away it's about the quality of the food that goes in, not just keeping tabs on the numbers. Not all calories are created equal.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    jkramsey42 wrote: »
    Science says organic food has no additional nutritive benefits.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1355685
    I hate to admit this, but I was on this train for a season. All it did was lighten my wallet. And one of my local "organic" suppliers got busted buying produce from a Walmart and repackaging the stuff...lol
    Live and learn...

It's hopefully a better option because it's not sprayed with crazy chemicals, and it's not GMO! Glad we can be the guinea pigs for the government who says that GMO's are just as safe as non-GMO foods. Lies all lies!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options
    I eat things in moderation, yep I said moderation. You have every right to do things that work for you and in a way that makes you happy. It is wonderful that you have lost as much weight as you have and that is more than commendable and you should be proud of yourself. No doubt about that. But, you don't get to tell other people how to do this. People are trying and doing things the best they can. You aren't a nutritionist or doctor and you have no idea what goes on in people's lives. Stating what works for you is wonderful, but harping at others about how they choose to live isn't encouraging. As far as organic, my guys father eats strictly organic. He himself says it has no more nutritional value than regular foods, it is only chemical free and expensive. 5 bucks for a loaf a bread is too expensive for me. Not everyone can afford the specialty foods. And sugar may be bad but sweetners are just as bad if not worse. I am keeping my sugar.

I totally agree sweeteners are worse. And both can be avoided. Sugar feeds diseases.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

This made me laugh so hard I almost shot powdered donut out of my nose. Do you even science, OP?

Calorie surplus makes you fat. I'm all for getting a balanced diet and I know this might shock you but...you can still be healthy and consume fast food, ice cream, pizza! /mindblown

I'm sorry that you are behind on the current understandings. There is more to our bodies than just calories in calories out. And to keep disease and illness away it's about the quality of the food that goes in, not just keeping tabs on the numbers. Not all calories are created equal.

Not behind anything. You're feeding the current fad of dieting nonsense.
    I never questioned eating nutrient dense foods but once my nutrient needs are met, I don't get bonus points for eating more....

calories are a unit of energy by the way, so yes, yes they are.

I haven't been ill in over a year outside of a tiny cold that disappeared in a few days, so not sure how sugar feeds diseases and illness...seem to be doing stellar.

Have fun not eating ice cream and fun foods... I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It seems to work just as well as your way and my way not only keeps me healthy but happy as well.
  • starseed777
    starseed777 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success, and thanks for sharing your perspective on weightloss. I am inspired.
  • HeyHeyJLynn
    HeyHeyJLynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love holier than thou folk

I try the paleo, I try the low-carb, I always end up back where I started. This time I am hitting 2000 calories, 120g protein and 70g of fat. I think its about not freaking yourself out. You can't just "you need to do this" at people. They need to learn for themselves via trial and error. Also tbh there is nothing more boring that cutting out everything you like

But whatever works for you, just dont assume its the only way/correct way etc etc

I've tried lots of different things, but now I'm simply working on eating "cleaner". I agree with this reply right here 100%.

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    To each his or her own. But for me personally moderation of foods I enjoy did wonders.

29509743.png
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Options

I never questioned eating nutrient dense foods but once my nutrient needs are met, I don't get bonus points for eating more....

I haven't been ill in over a year outside of a tiny cold that disappeared in a few days, so not sure how sugar feeds diseases and illness...seem to be doing stellar.

Have fun not eating ice cream and fun foods... I'll keep doing what I'm doing. It seems to work just as well as your way and my way not only keeps me healthy but happy as well.

Funny thing 100 years ago, when we didn't have processed foods, high sugar intake, chemicals all over the place. The % of cancer was very very low. With the rise of all this Junk food that (those who are addicted to it, so readily defend) came all these horrible diseases, that apparently there are no cure for. Well that is what the healthcare system, and the government would like people to think.
    but the truth is:
    Sugar feeds cancer.
    Sugar causes heart disease.
    Sugar causes inflammation in the body, which is the cause of most auto-immune disorders.
    Sugar causes diabetes.

Yes some, can eat sugar with no ill effects right away, or maybe never. But A LOT of people, will have health issues due to poor diet, and high sugar intake.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    also.. OP, what does your daily diet consist of?

are you Vegan/vegetarian?

No I'm not vegan, or vegetarian. I eat meat also and try to get it from humanely raised, local farms when possible. My diet consists of mean fruit and veg. Healthy fats and nuts and seeds.

You know, there's way more actual science which supports positive health outcomes from eating a vegan diet than there is supporting negative outcomes from eating reasonable portions of sugar. Just sayin'.
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Funny thing 100 years ago, when we didn't have processed foods, high sugar intake, chemicals all over the place. The % of cancer was very very low. With the rise of all this Junk food that (those who are addicted to it, so readily defend) came all these horrible diseases, that apparently there are no cure for. Well that is what the healthcare system, and the government would like people to think.

m9lt3o.png

Because science. Although we haven't cured cancer, it's common knowledge among the scientific community that the mortality for many cancers have in fact decreased (note: shown is only mortality rates for women, because OP is a woman). Uterus, stomach, breast, and colon cancer mortality rates have all declined significantly since 1930. The one that stands out on the graph for being against that trend is lung/bronchus. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that probably has a lot more to do with smoking and/or environmental factors (air pollution/industrialization) than it does sugar consumption.

Also, as a healthcare worker and cancer researcher, I'm torn between being amused and offended that you think we have some magical cure for cancer that we're hiding from the public. The simple truth is that cancer is very very messy, and there is currently no cure.

I do agree with you that food quality can affect health. I do agree with you that, when it comes to health specifically and not just weight loss, it's not quite as simple as "calories in vs calories out". I just work really hard science-ing all day and I don't want to see misinformation, especially about my field of research, spread.

Congratulations on your loss OP!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

but the truth is:
    Sugar feeds cancer.
    Sugar causes heart disease.
    Sugar causes inflammation in the body, which is the cause of most auto-immune disorders.
    Sugar causes diabetes.

Yes some, can eat sugar with no ill effects right away, or maybe never. But A LOT of people, will have health issues due to poor diet, and high sugar intake.

I'm break out my tinfoil hat for the occasion
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    If people can make the connection that good food makes you feel good.. then they'll get it. The reason many overeat is because they feel lousy and keep trying to feed what the body really wants.. nutrition. If you take the advice of the OP.. switch to a diet based on getting your nutrients..the cravings for bad things go away and you'll actually start making logical choices.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice, take it or leave it. Is this. Diets don't work! You have to make a change for life. You will have to eat this way for the rest of your life, and until you come to terms with that you won't succeed. You have to change your mind set from "I can't have that" to "I can have that but I don't want it"

Stop being obsessed with restricting calories.

The biggest lie you can tell you self is this : Everything in moderation is fine.
    NO!

Junk food is junk food and should be avoided. Junk food is high in calories and has little to no nutritional value, and leaves your body starving for nutrition.

Eat Whole Real Natural food. Grow up put your big girl/boy pants on. Eat vegetables. You may hate it at first. But your tastes WILL change. You have to heal your unhealthy relationship with food.

Stop saying eating healthy is to expensive, have you priced having cancer lately?
    If you can't afford Organic, do your best buy it when you can. Buy local, go to farmers markets. Do a little research.
    OR better yet grow your own. It's amazing what you can grow even in a little bit of dirt on a patio, or in pots!

You will lose weight, and experience an overall improvement of health issues you may have. When your body heals it heals completely!

Get away from Sugar! Artificial sugar, real sugar any kind of sugar. It's killing you. We consume way to much sugar. 2-3x as much as we consumed 100 years ago. (in some people even more than that)

Fat does not make you fat! - Sugar does! We live in a fat phobic society. Do some research and find out what's really making you fat. Carbohydrates from processed crap, and sugar.

You can't out exercise a bad diet, and until you get your eating under control you will never be successful!! Processed foods are full of chemicals, like MSG. These foods are designed to make you crave them! They create these foods in labs, to make people want them, so they will continue to buy them. They don't care about your health.

I have lost over 140lbs, and kept it off for 4 years. I may not be a doctor or a nutritionist, but I have read and read and read and trial and error of my own journey. and these are the basics of what I feel will help anyone be successful at losing weight. I won't reply back to arguments. This is just my own thoughts on weight loss.

THIS! Love you for this!!! <3

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!