The gym and cheaters

Options
binary_jester
binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
This has gotten me wondering lately. I belong to Anytime Fitness. For any not familiar, this is a 24 hours gym. You have a key that lets you in at anytime. During the day, the gym has trainers there, but after 6:00 it is members only.
So lately there is this guy who swipes in, but then let his girlfriend in right behind him, obviously because she doesn't have a membership.
There are also 2 people will walk up to the door, swipe, open the door then leave. They do this so they can keep the membership discount through their insurance.
Now anyone who knows me knows I am not exactly a Dudley Doright. So why are these things bugging me? I have a strong impulse to report the guy letting his girlfriend in.
This doesn't mean I am getting older and more responsible I Hope. Next thing you know, I will be sitting on my porch screaming for the kids to get off my lawn.

Replies

• TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That would bug me too and I would probably report it. To me, this is the same thing as shoplifiting. I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay "x" every month for my membership, while Susie Q, just marches in and does her thing for free.
  • baric
    baric Posts: 10
    Options
    I belong to a Anytime fitness also and we get cheaters every weekend. People will come and try to swipe in and it won't work, so someone will let them in and they will make some kind of excuse about their key not working, or that they were suppose to get a quest pass left for them. Turns out they never belonged for stopped paying. 8 out of 10 times people will let them in, being the trusting people that most are so they get by with it.

Now that I know what they are doing it bugs it me also. Plus I am still surprised at the things some people will do. And I am old enough I shouldn't be.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    That would bother me too - But in these situations I usually let Karma do the Job.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I think you should. That is really annoying. It starts with one guy and then it spread like a disease and soon you have anarchy! I would definitely report the guy who lets his girlfriend in. How cheap!

I'd leave those people with medical insurance paying for the gym alone. Maybe they will start getting regular some day!
  • Charlie001
    Options
    It would bother me too. I do not know if I would act on it, but I would want to. Probably not the only case either.
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i have an anytime fitness membership too and, while like you, i'm far removed from perfect, that would drive me nuts...

i probably wouldn't report them but i would want to...i was told when i signed up that there was an additional alarm on our door and if someone walked in behind us that it would go off and then they would review the security camera tape that videos that door. i made her prove it for my own curiousity...lol...it was obvious that someone else came in with her...

and i also have a YMCA membership with my fiance that offers a discount through his job as long as HE attends 4 times per month...the Y staff told me if i couldn't get him to come to swipe his badge for him at least 4 times when i came in...

responsibility sucks, right? lol...
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this at all. It would bother me that you are paying for a membership every month, and these people are getting in for nothing. To me it's just like stealing.

L.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It would bother me alot, probably because I know I don't have tons of money, yet I am responsible and pay for my membership while these people are sneaking in for free. If you feel like you should report them then go for it. Chances are though, you aren't the only one who notices it....they'll get caught and then the joke is on them.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with the people who swipe for insurance, that is there personal business and not yours (no offense meant) they may not be ready to go yet, but know they need it and just haven't committed. Hey at least they are committed enough to come swipe.

You should report in sneaker in er's ( i know not a word) and request a sign be put up that says, do not open door for people who can't swipe in. I know it's his girlfriend.

But when you report it, you should make it a security issue. I'm a woman and it is scary to think that someone could let someone in that know one knows there name or if they should be there. That is spooky to me.

I'm sure gym's like that get lots of people scanning other's cards all the time. Using a family member's card. That is why I like my good old fashion gym, all the little girls at the front desk know everyone and they scan you in personally with your picture up and your membership benefits. Not a perfect system, but keeps out a good bit of the riff raff.

Good luck with your situation.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well you can always drop an unsigned letter to your gym saying "check the security cam on 12/15 at 7:30pm.....I want to know how to get a 2 for 1 deal too!"
    I go to Snap Fitness, also a 24hr. My husband and I both have keys and who ever gets there first swipes and holds the door. The other person makes sure to swipe as they go by.
    As for opening for people who's key doesn't work, I dont. We have signs at the door telling us not too. Won't lie, I've pretended to be engrossed in my mp3 player or the tv and not looked at people at the door. *****? Maybe it was.
    The trainers do boot camp, which is open to non members, but they are responsible to park their butt at the door and open it for the people.
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    I agree that would bug me too. but I've also been on the other side of it (the clerks position) and I know from personal experience that the clerks don't want to challenge the "customer" and call them a lyer, for fear of getting in trouble with the boss, and possibly losing their job. If someone is able, and willing to BS to use some gym equipment, it's more than likely they are/would be willing to BS to get someone fired.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    That would bother me too - But in these situations I usually let Karma do the Job.

This is so well received.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You could also Glare at them and do the "I'm watching you" hand signal...you know, Index/middle finger from your eyes and pint to them. :laugh:
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    oh yes, that would bother me too:grumble: . You would think they would be montioring that more closely.:huh: Maybe they do know wut is going on and they themselves aren't worried or wutevr about it:noway: . It sux, but all good things come to an end at some point. Just do you and if they want to be shysters...let em...its one consequence you won't have to worry about comn' to bite you in da but...unless u like that sorta thing....:laugh:
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned by the fact there are no trainers at your gym - what happens if someone has an accident or decides they like the look of the treadmill and takes it home? Weird!
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    Well you can always drop an unsigned letter to your gym saying "check the security cam on 12/15 at 7:30pm.....I want to know how to get a 2 for 1 deal too!"

I like this idea. It's anonymous. Gets the job done.

I'm totally against 24 hr gyms (for myself, not other people) because of security issues. I'm the kind of person who would have to go after 6 pm and I would have to have a male gym buddy to feel comfortable. Which I don't have. (A male gym buddy). I'm rambling. Point is, it's a security issue and if the staff doesn't monitor this type of thing the next day (via video or what not) I won't feel safe working out there.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    How do you know they don't have a joint membership? And the people with the insurance thing? They have to pay the gym membership, so they may be losing more money than they think.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I can understand why this would bother you, but I agree w/ RN. If my husband and I were both paying members at a 24 hour gym, and I was walking in the door before him, I wouldn't close the door in his face and make him swipe his card to get in. I would swipe mine and hold the door for him, or my friend. I would expect that he would do the same for me. It would be kinda rude IMO.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned by the fact there are no trainers at your gym - what happens if someone has an accident or decides they like the look of the treadmill and takes it home? Weird!

We have several Anytime Fitness gyms in our area. Video cameras everywhere. It's not the type of gym for the novice or for those that are accident prone.

I would report the guy that lets in the girlfriend. Just because I hate having to pay for crap and other's get away with *kitten*. You know, like people on welfare rolling up in a Benz. Just sayin'.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i know how you feel but in this case i think two ways um being fit is expensive and it seem being fit is only for those that can afford it but at the same time it like i pay my money why not them so in the end i let the elemets handle it. just my two cents