The gym and cheaters

Options

Replies

• pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    The OP DID report the girlfriend. Later he felt so guilty, he deactivated.

Was
    never
    heard
    from
    again

lol...I just noticed the start date on the thread too. and yes...looks very suspicious. Maybe he became friends with the girlfriend...she broke it off with her boyfriend and now OP and the girlfriend live happily ever after. Sounds like a good MFP story. :laugh:
  • binaryjester
    binaryjester Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Go on...
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The Insurance swipers, meh...let them be. That is actually money the gym is making without membership activity. The managers/owner would look at that as a win.

With our insurance, they not only track your visits, but your physical condition periodically. By having people just swipe and not workout, it makes the program look bad, since people are visiting the gym without getting any fitter, and ultimately, the insurance company could decide to drop this gym in favor of gyms that produce better results. Plus, it is a waste of the insurance company's money to fund a gym membership that isn't used, and that effects the rates of all members.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    nevermind
  • Darth_AE2012
    Darth_AE2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small-town gym but it's 24/7. I brought my roommate with me and swiped my key and she came in behind me, (she has a membership too). Didn't think anything of it. Until the next day when the gym called me asking who she was and telling me that she needs to swipe her key as well so there isn't any confusion. Glad they do that but I still see it all the time... Felt like BIG BROTHER was just looking at me that day.
  • marko320
    marko320 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is the worst thread ever. It is no longer relevant unless we have traveled back in time. The whole thing is based on an assumption that someone's GF is getting something she didn't pay for. Maybe the guy was just being a gentleman and getting the door for her. Maybe she has a membership. Maybe they are married on a family plan and she leaves her rings at home when she goes to the gym.

Maybe it's nobody's freaking business except the owner of the business. If the owner was concerned, it would not be an honor system. Maybe they should put in a turnstyle with a retina scanner attached to it. That will keep the riff raff out of the club.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    If the girlfriend is using the facilities without paying, I think that's a real problem for paying members.

If there are two people swiping in and not using the facilities but only swiping for insurance purposes, those people are only doing a disservice to themselves.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    nevermind

I was going to Boom! your first comment...nevermind =)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Was
    never
    heard
    from
    again

Gold
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Was
    never
    heard
    from
    again

:sad:
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Aside from the security issue that one poster pointed out there is the other issue that everybody else has to foot the bill for the freeloaders either through higher gym fees or higher insurance fees. It adds up and it's coming out of our pockets.

But then again Marko has a good point, this whole thing is based on an assumption. It might be nothing at all.

If you choose to act on an assumption, to quote Benny Hill, "Never assume, because assume makes an *kitten* of u & me."
  • binaryjester
    binaryjester Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Was I the only one expecting to see the show "Cheaters" at the gym or something?

Clicked on thread for that....left disappoint

Edited for grammar
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

Was
    never
    heard
    from
    again

Gold
    since we're resurrecting 2010.....
    h85738DEA \m/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Meh. At least they are working out, right? Wouldn't bother me.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That's a lil nit picky. I hate to see people getting over but I think every one cheats at something to get ahead I'd say if there a nuisance than report them if not let them do what they can to succeed. I see people falsify reports every day at work misrepresent figures, lie, cheat on there spouses. professionals athletes use performance enhancers so who's to say these people are more wrong just for going in the gym working out if they're not causing you any loss. If if a guy wants to go workout and he has his girlfriend with him and she doesn't have a membership should she just sit in the car or should she pay for membership to work out with her boyfriend a couple timesa months. I go to Anytime Fitness and my girl goes with me from time to time but she'll wait in the car which I don't like because it's usually late at night when I go and I don't want her sitting in the car alone but she doesn't like to be home by herself.

I agree.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    id just let management know and then they can handle it from there
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thread start date Dec 27, 2010................

doh! hate when I talk to corpses
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    ur just jealous.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    This has gotten me wondering lately. I belong to Anytime Fitness. For any not familiar, this is a 24 hours gym. You have a key that lets you in at anytime. During the day, the gym has trainers there, but after 6:00 it is members only.
    So lately there is this guy who swipes in, but then let his girlfriend in right behind him, obviously because she doesn't have a membership.
    There are also 2 people will walk up to the door, swipe, open the door then leave. They do this so they can keep the membership discount through their insurance.
    Now anyone who knows me knows I am not exactly a Dudley Doright. So why are these things bugging me? I have a strong impulse to report the guy letting his girlfriend in.
    This doesn't mean I am getting older and more responsible I Hope. Next thing you know, I will be sitting on my porch screaming for the kids to get off my lawn.

Would this bother me? Hmmm......lets see, equipment wearing sooner then expected lifecyclye based on membership usage. Someone on a piece of equipment that is not a member and I am waiting to use, gym crowded unexpectedly.
    No Problem right?....

Theft of services, No problem right......

Sorry ya'all who disagree, but my standard would let me let this go.

Just one old man's opinion....

Insurance fraud no problem right?.......
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I guess it wouldn't bother me because it wouldn't surprise me. People have been doing this at 24 hour fitness clubs for years. I used to know a guy who would bring like 5 people to the gym with him because the front desk girl was always asleep. It was a pretty obnoxious thing for him to do. This was 10 years ago, and they didn't have to swipe cards then because the door was always open.