The gym and cheaters

Replies

• Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    I would turn them in...just saying, the whole point is a safety issue and keeps prices low. If you get people that start doing that...then OUR prices go up. So...I would just let them know...maybe they would watch for it?

Megan:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    It's bothering you because you pay for your membership. They may be low income, and can't afford it. I honestly wouldn't say anything. It's not your business, unless they harm you. The gym should watch their doors better.
    So I know this thread is hella old and all, but I think my daughter's boyfriend belongs to Anytime Fitness and the gym's policy is that members can bring one guest any time and as often as they like. So the guy with the girlfriend isn't breaking any rules.

I may be wrong about which gym he belongs to, but I'm pretty sure it's this one.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Also, aside from the post date of 2010, the OP has deactivated
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I don't have an issue with the people who swipe for insurance, that is there personal business and not yours (no offense meant) they may not be ready to go yet, but know they need it and just haven't committed. Hey at least they are committed enough to come swipe.

You should report in sneaker in er's ( i know not a word) and request a sign be put up that says, do not open door for people who can't swipe in. I know it's his girlfriend.

But when you report it, you should make it a security issue. I'm a woman and it is scary to think that someone could let someone in that know one knows there name or if they should be there. That is spooky to me.

I'm sure gym's like that get lots of people scanning other's cards all the time. Using a family member's card. That is why I like my good old fashion gym, all the little girls at the front desk know everyone and they scan you in personally with your picture up and your membership benefits. Not a perfect system, but keeps out a good bit of the riff raff.

Good luck with your situation.

It actually IS your business if someone swipes to get the insurance discount. They are raising premiums for everyone else in the pool (it's INSURANCE, not a savings account) by getting a discount they have not earned and do not deserve.
    How do you know they don't exercise elsewhere? I had a gym membership fior which my insurance company paid $150 a year. But I hate the gym, so I exercised at home and outside most of the time and rarely went to the gym at all.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    i don't know, we have a local gym like this, and it wouldn't bother me what so ever. as long as the people are respectful to the equipment, i would just mind my own business. the owners prob do not really care, this is common, and its cheaper to let the people use the gym for free, than to hire a person to watch it overnight ... i used to work fast food, and i would think it was funny when teenagers would order water for free, then get cola. i was in high management, i would just laugh it off. there is no reason to take this personal.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    It actually IS your business if someone swipes to get the insurance discount. They are raising premiums for everyone else in the pool (it's INSURANCE, not a savings account) by getting a discount they have not earned and do not deserve.
    What if they went for a long run earlier in the 'outdoors', vs someone that went into the gym, used the treadmill for ten minutes at a walking pace and spent the rest of the time chatting?
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I would be bothered by this as well. If it only happened here or there I would let it go. If it happens often I would probably report it.
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Thread start date Dec 27, 2010................

LOL, OP has deactivated too. Now we will never know what she decided to do!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Thread start date Dec 27, 2010................

How does a thread start up again after 3 years? lol

Our company had a policy where you had to go so many times a month to get a $50 credit but now they just give it to us if we have a gym membership.

I think the people who swipes and leaves is pretty funny and to me they still earned the company credit by taking the time to do that.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    I'm more concerned by the fact there are no trainers at your gym - what happens if someone has an accident or decides they like the look of the treadmill and takes it home? Weird!

:laugh: :laugh: I personally would LOVE to see someone trying to toss a treadmill over their shoulder and walk out with it.

Nah, that wouldn't be suspicious. Neither would seeing three people pick it up, walk it out the door and toss it into the back of a truck.

Me too lol, this was all I could think about while reading this post!

I belonged to an Anytime Fitness branch for almost 5 years and we never had the issue of "cheaters" sneaking in or the such. Our owners were very strict with their policy. Even if we were there on a weekend working out and people were at the door, we were not to open the door for them, even members who "left their key fob" at home. We obliged by the rules they set. It would have driven me crazy if I had to deal with people sneaking in however.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    My gym is not ANYTIME fitness but, it is a similar set up. When I signed up they told me that their system can detect others coming in behind me and it will set off an alarm or disable my swipe key so DO NOT let anyone in. I soon found out that this is a scare tactic. Since they have a kid area and I've let at least 2 of my kids in behind me a lot and they just hang out, watch movie, or play on the ipad. I'm buddies with the owner now and if I thought someone was stealing a membership (which is what it is to me) I would have him look into it. The Insurance swipers, meh...let them be. That is actually money the gym is making without membership activity. The managers/owner would look at that as a win.
  • binaryjester
    binaryjester Posts: 46 Member
    The OP DID report the girlfriend. Later he felt so guilty, he deactivated.

Was
    never
    heard
    from
    again
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    MAD NECRO!!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I'm assuming that the gym is full of cameras, as all kinds of shady things could be happening during the hours without employees present. Hopefully they will review the tapes and deal with the cheaters.

On a different note, I wonder what happens if the girlfriend gets injured while on the premises, since she was trespassing. Its a stupid risk.
  • dbmata
    1.gif
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    d'oh! Hate these resurrected threads!
  • dbmata
    I'm assuming that the gym is full of cameras, as all kinds of shady things could be happening during the hours without employees present. Hopefully they will review the tapes and deal with the cheaters.

On a different note, I wonder what happens if the girlfriend gets injured while on the premises, since she was trespassing. Its a stupid risk.

Oh that one is easy, no waiver on file, the gym is legally liable.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    The only cheaters I see in the gym ar half-reppers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNjefEZ8qY
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I have a cheap gym membership that I keep as a backup. If I attend twice a week, my insurance pays for it. I joined mainly for Zumba once a week and when I bought the membership, I asked if I could come sometimes and just weigh myself and they said sure. I don't think that's cheating.
This discussion has been closed.