Pay to Use MFP? What?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Another example of a situation as screwed up as this:

Sony, with the Playstation 3 tried to force the developers of the games to pay Sony money every time one of their games were downloaded from the online store.

That's why the PS3 didn't have nearly as many games as the Xbox360.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i read an article a few years ago saying that eventually cable ISP will have data limits just like cell phone providers for the reasons mentioned in my post above.

if/when that happens your all going to want to cry in your cornflakes

Ummm.... they already do. Most providers here cap it at 60BG/month. I have a limit of 300GB/month.

well when they put a cap on it that the average person will typically hit, then start creating tears, its going to bite a lot worse.

when i signed up for a verizon buisness account, i had the option of paying 15 bucks more a month for a faster connection.

if there is an issue here, your post didn't describe it very well
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    so everything should be free?

Kinda went over your head there bud. How much do you pay already for your internet service? We are already paying for the internet, it is not free. They want to charge tech companies like MFP and therefore MFP would have no choice but pass that bill along to the users in the form of membership fees.

right, its called throttling, happens with your phone service too. to me its a fair charge, but then again im a free market capitalist.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    so everything should be free?

Kinda went over your head there bud. How much do you pay already for your internet service? We are already paying for the internet, it is not free. They want to charge tech companies like MFP and therefore MFP would have no choice but pass that bill along to the users in the form of membership fees.

right, its called throttling, happens with your phone service too. to me its a fair charge, but then again im a free market capitalist.

So you're ok with free speech being desroyed? That's ultimately what will happen.
  • mandez19
    Options
    I don't think we will have to pay money, we will have to pay time. There are sites that force you to watch a commercial before reading an article.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    i read an article a few years ago saying that eventually cable ISP will have data limits just like cell phone providers for the reasons mentioned in my post above.

Ummm.... they already do. Most providers here cap it at 60BG/month. I have a limit of 300GB/month.

well when they put a cap on it that the average person will typically hit, then start creating tears, its going to bite a lot worse.

when i signed up for a verizon buisness account, i had the option of paying 15 bucks more a month for a faster connection.

Yes, that is YOU, the CONSUMER who is paying the extra money for a faster connection. Not the provider of the information.

We're not talking about a comparison between 15Mbps and 25Mbps. We're talking about sites lie MFP taking a minute or longer to load. We're talking about so slow, no regular person will browse it any longer because it will be too slow.

The ISP are not providing a service to the websites. They're providing a service to you, the consumer.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I don't think we will have to pay money, we will have to pay time. There are sites that force you to watch a commercial before reading an article.

That's one way they will have to go about it.

But what if it's a store selling a material product? Do you really think they're going to make you watch a commercial before you can view a product they're trying to sell?
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    the throttling you don't pay for, its their free gift to you lol.

and i suspect nearly every ISP throttles users in someway.

Its all based on the same issue though, the information super highway never got larger then a two lane road but the whole country is on it.

the better solution would be to make the road bigger, but the ISPs are happier making you pay to play... basically selling the same thing (using thier lines to access the internet) but charging more people more money. They've essentially recreated the incredibly expensive long distance phone call farce of yester year.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    What will die if the bill goes through is this:
    Net neutrality (also network neutrality or Internet neutrality) is the principle that Internet service providers and governments should treat all data on the Internet equally, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, site, platform, application, type of attached equipment, and modes of communication.

It's not about capitalism or monopoly, or even money. It's about the fact that everything will no longer be teated equally. If it goes through, only those with money will be reached at decent speeds.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Yes, that is YOU, the CONSUMER who is paying the extra money for a faster connection. Not the provider of the information.

We're not talking about a comparison between 15Mbps and 25Mbps. We're talking about sites lie MFP taking a minute or longer to load. We're talking about so slow, no regular person will browse it any longer because it will be too slow.

The ISP are not providing a service to the websites. They're providing a service to you, the consumer.

Basically they're talking about bringing the internet back down to dialup speeds from broadband deliberately in order to get an excuse to create a bigger profit margin. And if you want faster access, then it's up to the person hosting the site--whether it's MFP, Amazon, whatever, to pay a fee to YOUR internet provider (not theirs) so that YOU can access their site at the speeds your hardware is actually capable of again. These site hosts will have to find a way to squeeze more money out of you (free sites will no longer be free, sites that charge will have to charge even more, etc) in order to serve you. If you don't want to pay a membership fee, then you will be relegated to transfer speeds that will take it back to old dialup days.

EDIT: Basically, it works like this:

Comcast can choose whether or not their customers have access to Instagram. They can also choose what data rates their customers can access instagram at. What determines these things? How much money Instagram is willing to fork over to Comcast. If Instagram isn't willing to agree to Comcast's terms and rates, then Comcast customers will either a) be relegated to accessing Instagram at dialup speeds (basically it will take approximately 30 seconds to a minute for a single picture to load), or b) not having access to Instagram at all. So, since Instagram now has to pay Comcast a monthly fee just so that people who have Comcast as their ISP can access Instagram, Instagram will, in turn, have to find a way to squeeze that money out of its own users just to stay alive.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

It was a BUISNESS account. You needed an FEIN to apply for it. They charged me more for a faster speed. So i'm not sure why charging buisnesses more money for faster access is supposedly a new thing.

If it has to do with connection speeds, it has everything to do with an ISP
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i support net neutrality. i haven't watched the john oliver video yet, but from reading this thread, it sounds like it would be a pretty horrible thing if said bill is passed. i hope the reality of it actually happening is far from the truth.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Basically they're talking about bringing the internet back down to dialup speeds from broadband deliberately in order to get an excuse to create a bigger profit margin. And if you want faster access, then it's up to the person hosting the site--whether it's MFP, Amazon, whatever, to pay a fee to YOUR internet provider (not theirs) so that YOU can access their site at the speeds your hardware is actually capable of again. These site hosts will have to find a way to squeeze more money out of you (free sites will no longer be free, sites that charge will have to charge even more, etc) in order to serve you. If you don't want to pay a membership fee, then you will be relegated to transfer speeds that will take it back to old dialup days.
    thank you

smart companies will find someother way of raising thier revenue.

that does sound like double charging.

still suprised it takes an act of congress for them to do that though
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    John Oliver is fun as h*ll lol but nothing in the two tier internet means free web sites like FB & MFP will ever charge. They may charge a higher rate to the companies who pay to show adds but they will never charge us. Besides technology changes every hour the Internet may end up being free someday. Why do you think Telecommunication companies went belly up 13 years ago? Technology caught up with their ducT laying arses.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    It's not about capitalism or monopoly, or even money. It's about the fact that everything will no longer be teated equally. If it goes through, only those with money will be reached at decent speeds.

thats inevitable regardless of this particular issue. Its going to take some drastically new technology or a huge revamp of the infastructure to avoid that
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    Besides technology changes every hour the Internet may end up being free someday. Why do you think Telecommunication companies went belly up 13 years ago? Technology caught up with their duck laying arses.

agreed,

but if your a conspiracy theorist, money/government has been holding back technological innovations in order so that the haves can continue to have more for quite some time
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The problem is folks, that data demands are growing. Upgrading the infrastructure costs money. Lots of it. The question is, who pays for it. In a typical scenario, it is those that benefit from it. The complexity here is that the large corporations are trying to grab and control information. This isn't really about infrastructure, but more about control. Comcast will pay for it, IF they can have control of it. Otherwise, we pay for it in various ways. This is not going to go away.

Telecommunication companies went belly up because they felt that the monopoly they held gave them free reign to charge unreasonably prices for what were originally considered luxuries, but had become necessities because of how the world had changes. It wasn't very long before the internet provided people with free or cheap alternatives, which ended up burying the telecomm companies.

We're going to see the same scenario repeat itself with the internet. ISPs are monopolies in many areas, with people only having a single broadband provider (usually comcast) serving their area. This, combined with the fact that the laws that govern how they can conduct business still regard them as luxury items, gives them free reign to charge prices that may or may not be reasonable and may even put internet out of access of the few. The issue here is that, just like with the telecomm companies, it isn't a luxury item anymore. Internet access is becoming a necessity, with many places forcing you to fill out job applications over the internet, pay your bills over the internet, etc... I know that UPMC and Giant Eagle, two of the biggest employers in the Pittsburgh region, only accept job applications filled out on their website.
  • mandez19
    Options
    I'm guessing if you are on a store's website there is a good chance you are going to buy something and an unlikely chance you will want to if they make you pay to enter the site so they will eat the cost and/or pay for it through advertising on their website.