Pay to Use MFP? What?

Options

Replies

• Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    so everything should be free?

Thank you for completely missing the point.

so explain it.

If I own a road and let ppl drive on it for free, but 5 people drive gigantic cars and slow everyone else down....id charge them a premium.

But what happens when one company, say RoadCast, owns all the roads in a state? They build crummy roads and only let trucks with lousy merchandise reach the grocery stores. Or they force certain merchants and producers out of business. So you pay a lot for poor quality meats and vegetables, and get poor customer service, because--where else are you going to get your groceries?. That's what's happened to cable and Comcast...

And it's why Internet cable, like roads and electric transmission lines, should largely be public utilities subject to certain rules, such as bandwith charges, the same way most of our roads are public, and the same way electric companies charge power plants for ferrying certain amounts of power over transmission lines, and so on. Bust up Comcast and allow some competition between public utilities to build the roads, and of course keep intact the healthy competition between content providers.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The only problem with this is economics. We know that it is not wise, nor feasible, to bust up, say, power companies. It is cheaper and more efficient for one power company to provide for a large area.

It's cheaper and mnore efficient usually because the large power company acts as a regulated monopoly under state and federal laws. Comcast, by comparison, is a de facto monopoly without the usual amount of regulation that comes from government oversight of monopolies.

When power companies, which own transmission lines, are given monopolies, they usually agree to forego certain things because electricity is considered a public service. Corporate profits are kept reasonable (say in the 12 percent range); the government oversees how much they can charge for ferrying power; certain reliability standards have to be met (lights have to be on) and so on. Comcast is just a monopoly without all this--it can charge whatever it wants for providing a really crummy public service.
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    The internet isn't free. You are paying to use it. This is news?
  • TheLostMermaid
    Options
    Nope sorry. I watched the Video and looked at the website though.

The fact of the matter is we will always have to put money out. Everything in this world goes up in price not down. Are you surprised that a cable company is trying to get more money?!

I would really like to hope this does not come to pass and it seems like there are MANY who are against it. I honestly don't see it happening. But I guess as always you never know.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options

so we should pay more because some greedy corporation wants to make even more than they are making already by forcing companies like Netflix (paid subscription by the way) pay a fee, therefore raising their rates so the subscribers can watch their movies and shows in HD?

I agree. We already pay .. enough. I understand far higher
    for far less than in most other countries. I find it insane
    anybody would choose to keep getting jacked for no other
    reason but some corp. greed.
  • HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No chance.
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As an IT Director. I see the story from both sides.

One, it is wrong to control content. Very wrong. And to charge a company for access just as a control mechanism is wrong. And there is a possibility of this happening.

But the issue with Cable based internet, is that you share the same internet pipe with all your neighbors on the same node. So if everyone streamed a Netflix HD video at the same time, well there is not enough bandwidth.

The other issue is content like Video, Music and other high bandwidth media requires a great deal of internet.

If you require everyone to be equal. Then what is to stop Netflix from locating their servers in a region where there is very little bandwidth available and paying for less bandwidth and forcing everyone to stream all that high bandwidth HD content equally. Saving Netflix a fortune.

But all things are not equal. Netflix or any company should have to pay to Peer directly with the ISPs. In a world were we now complain about something taking 10 or more seconds. Would you watch a movie if it spit or stuttered. Or even froze for a moment.

Why do you think Google/Apple/Netflix/etc all have data centers in various locations. To speed access because we do not tolerate slow any longer. So Comcast has a right to require peering. Also with a large bandwidth user peering, meaning they have a direct connection to Comcast, then Comcast's expensive external connectivity is not being used for Netflix.

Working in Africa, we had to pay $3,000 USD per MB of internet via Satellite, then fiber was made available that cost went down to $250 USD per MB. But still expensive. So I am ABC ISP and one of my subscribers wants to call his neighbor who is on XYZ ISP. If I have a connection to XYZ then I do not have to use that expensive connection. So it can be used for subscribers that want to go some other place.

Internet is not cheap. But I have to say most people in the US are paying way too much for internet.

So it is a mixed bag, a good and bad thing. And you have to see it from both sides.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not really, but a possibility if this bill goes through...

Not sure what I'm talking about? Watch john oliver explain is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

Everyone should watch this, and I mean EVERYONE. Why? The cable companies of the USA are trying to force a bill through that will make tech companies, the providers of information on the internet, to pay a fee to have higher data speeds on the internet. Why is this bad? Well, John Oliver in the linked video explains it better than anyone else.

Also, for more information to help prevent the internet from forever being destroyed, you can go here:

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

Seriously. If you like the internet, please watch this, or places like MFP may eventually die. Even if you don't use cable or live in the USA, you will be effected by this.

What? This old chestnut again? Please do not think I am anti-US, because I'm not, but the simple truth is this.

No matter what you might like to think, the Internet is not controlled / owned / governed by America / Americans. The rest of the world have the capability to rehost sites and thus the US Internet economy would nosedive. Therefore internal US measures would only affect / impact US users.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion thanks guys :drinker:
  • ChefTJP
    ChefTJP Posts: 108 Member
    Options

so explain it.

If I own a road and let ppl drive on it for free, but 5 people drive gigantic cars and slow everyone else down....id charge them a premium.
  • ChefTJP
    Options
    could be the dumbest thing i ever heard
  • ChefTJP
    Options

so explain it.

quote]

Are you kidding me? charge for larger cars??? wow dude makes no sense whatsoever.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Anyone who honestly thinks that the Government should be forcing their involvement into the interwebs needs to get their noggin checked out.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Anyone who honestly thinks that the Government should be forcing their involvement into the interwebs needs to get their noggin checked out.

They say ignorance is bliss. Remain blissful, my friend.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    My favorite response to net neutrality was one of the service providers that hosts the FCC website took it back to speeds from the 1990s. Apparently, they were not amused; still didn't change anything though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

so explain it.

Are you kidding me? charge for larger cars??? wow dude makes no sense whatsoever.
    I take it you don't drive on toll roads? The more axles you have, the more you pay. I still don't think it applies to net neutrality though.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Comcast already does have data limits. If you go over you end up paying an extra fee.
    i read an article a few years ago saying that eventually cable ISP will have data limits just like cell phone providers for the reasons mentioned in my post above.

if/when that happens your all going to want to cry in your cornflakes