Is it rude to snub someone?

Options
So lets say someone who you were cool with said something that hurt your feelings and offended you. You let them know and they apologize but you don't feel like their apology was sincere. Then you start resent the person and lost interest in talking to them. You where not really close friends but more like acquaintances and whenever you see each other ,you say hi to each other

So my question is, would that be rude to completely ignore this person and walk past them when they say hi to you next time you run into them?

Replies

• Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes
  • siport
    siport Posts: 7,429 Member
    Options
    i would say ignoring anyone is rude, i never turn my nose up or ignore anyone, if they say hi say hi back and walk on by. be the bigger person
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it would be somewhat rude. But if you truly do not want to associate with the person then why do you care?

I think if you actually have to keep seeing this person because they're a coworker, neighbor, go to the same church, club, gym...or you live in some crazy small town..then you might as well just smile, say hi, or nod and walk on.

Also you probably know the person well enough to know how they will perceive your snub. I don't think it is necessary to actually make an enemy from the sound of it...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    meh, I'm generally only rude intentionally
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    This sounds like something a young teenage girl would ask.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Childish and rude. Talk to your friend like a grown up.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    yes
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you get so butthurt every time someone says something you don't like that you ignore them, then you might as well prepare yourself for a lonely life. Your behavior certainly isn't any better than theirs.
  • Chibukalu908
    Options

she was not my friend but someone I know and I have no interest talking to them after she intentionally hurt my feelings and embarrass me in front of everyone
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to be on your phone between class?
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Freshman dorms are at the end of campus, honey.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Snubbing someone is the definition of rude. That's the purpose of it. To be rude to someone. You don't politely snub a person.

Totally agree.

I reread the OP and realized I originally missed the part that said "when they say hi to you"...that's 100% rude, OP.

I thought you just meant like passing each other in a hallway or at the supermarket and neither of you says a word but you snub her by means of looking the other way and not acknowledging her. Because I think that would be just SLIGHTLY rude, but generally fine.

Actually ignoring someone's greeting is just flat out rude & tacky, unless they did something so terrible to you that it required a police report. JMHO.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    What is the purpose of snubbing if not to be intentionally rude to someone?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

she was not my friend but someone I know and I have no interest talking to them after she intentionally hurt my feelings and embarrass me in front of everyone
    "embarrassed" - that said.....how? What did she do exactly?
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't say hi back just give them the "I don't like you smile".

fake_smile__5_.gif
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    yes, it's rude.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Snubbing someone is the definition of rude. That's the purpose of it. To be rude to someone. You don't politely snub a person.

:drinker:
  • Chibukalu908
    Options
    What is the purpose of snubbing if not to be intentionally rude to someone?

That's the point,i am trying to be hurtful towards her to show that I don't care about her
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    The word "snub" implies an insult. So yes. Rude.

It is also rude to judge someone else's apology. That's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down unless you're prepared for what it means.