Why is MFP so mean??

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Mean: "Bones are for dogs........" "That body shape is gross...." "VS models look like stick figures......." "Women who lift are too bulky and look like men......" Usually voiced by newbies. Usually called out by people who've been here a while.

Not mean: "Do you have any research to back that up?" "Diet Coke isn't going to kill you...." "Your liver and kidneys do all the cleansing your body needs......" "Do you weigh and measure your food? You're eating more than you think....." "OP, stop spreading the sugar is evil pseudoscience......" "You do not have a slow metabolism...." Usually voiced by people who have been here a long time and done some research. Usually argued against by people who like to hold onto false beliefs, also usually newbies.

Guess which groups generate the greatest number of "Mean People" spinoff threads? It's kind of ironic when you think about it.

I like you. :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I think people also lose sight of the fact that forums are a form of entertainment. Sometimes, people just want to have a laugh. That's usually what the gifs are about. If you take it in that spirit, you might actually have a little fun, too.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    We have bullies...

Can I get a bingo card.

For the record, this is a tame....tame forum.

For those that think this place is mean, please avoid forums with the following topics:

Video Games
    Sports
    Religion
    Parenting
    Politics

What is this MFP bingo that I keep hearing about?!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29838173/MFP_bingo.pdf

Happy bingo-ing!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I think people also lose sight of the fact that forums are a form of entertainment. Sometimes, people just want to have a laugh. That's usually what the gifs are about. If you take it in that spirit, you might actually have a little fun, too.

This is MFP - NO FUN TO BE HAD!! I just want to be accepted, find out what kind of cleanse is the best for me, if I should do IIFYM or eat clean, lift heavy or run but all I get is no one loves me and everyone is MEAN! :sad: I am just going to go wallow in a cup of shakeology.

vlt.gif

Edited to add gif because humor (aka mean)
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

tumblr_lqytlf7QMe1qeibweo1_500.gif
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Yes all these mean horrible people, that take time out of their day to answer questions and share their knowledge with you. They look over your diary, give suggestions which more often than not is turned down by the person asking for advice. They write topics sharing more information, to make it easier for people just starting. Omg they are so mean how dare they.

So maybe you don't like the delivery from everyone, there's lots of people here, some sugar coat more than others. But stop whining and realize these people don't have to try and help at all. They aren't getting paid, they get nothing out of it, except for hoping that just maybe some one will read what they write and not fall for yet another diet myth.

If you don't like the mean people, or you think the forums are too negative, maybe since most of you that are complaining currently have been here for under 3 months.. take some time and see exactly how much these mean people actually do to help.

giphy.gif

tumblr_lxtcyoabso1r98rqco1_500.gif
    9HUECLa.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options

This is MFP - NO FUN TO BE HAD!! I just want to be accepted, find out what kind of cleanse is the best for me, if I should do IIFYM or eat clean, lift heavy or run but all I get is no one loves me and everyone is MEAN! :sad: I am just going to go wallow in a cup of shakeology.

vlt.gif

I am personally offended by this gif and I move to have you banned from the forums FOR LIFE. Eat that Varucka! (But make sure you log it).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

to many hangry people for that to happen

(guilty- I've had days where the snark I was feeding was tangible- and I knew I needed to step away- usually didn't and got beat up pretty good b/c I was being a di*k- you live you learn- and you survive or you don't.)
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    Yes all these mean horrible people, that take time out of their day to answer questions and share their knowledge with you. They look over your diary, give suggestions which more often than not is turned down by the person asking for advice. They write topics sharing more information, to make it easier for people just starting. Omg they are so mean how dare they.

So maybe you don't like the delivery from everyone, there's lots of people here, some sugar coat more than others. But stop whining and realize these people don't have to try and help at all. They aren't getting paid, they get nothing out of it, except for hoping that just maybe some one will read what they write and not fall for yet another diet myth.

If you don't like the mean people, or you think the forums are too negative, maybe since most of you that are complaining currently have been here for under 3 months.. take some time and see exactly how much these mean people actually do to help.

giphy.gif

9HUECLa.jpg
    dave-claps.gif
  • PRMinx
    Options

(guilty- I've had days where the snark I was feeding was tangible- and I knew I needed to step away- usually didn't and got beat up pretty good b/c I was being a di*k- you live you learn- and you survive or you don't.)

You're never snarky. I have no idea what you are talking about. :indifferent:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Because this is the internet...and people represent themselves differently in their virtual worlds then they do in their real lives.

I personally don't get it. If anything the way I interact on-line is dialed way back from how I act in my real life, because...well, this is not my real life. I come on here to log my food and exercise. I visit the forums when I have a specific question or, yeah, when I am bored and wondering who is attacking who today. The forums are informational or entertaining, depending on what I need to get out of them that day.

However, I do avoid certain members. If I see their name in a thread, I just back out and move on. I've learned that no matter how accurate some people may be, I just don't like them so I don't bother with them.
    Not sure if you're aware or not, but you can block members. Just use the little arrow button next to their user name in a thread they've posted in.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

9HUECLa.jpg

dave-grohl-hillbilly-trucker-agrees.gif
  • branflakes1980
    Options

vlt.gif

I am personally offended by this gif and I move to have you banned from the forums FOR LIFE. Eat that Varucka! (But make sure you log it).

svps.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Mean: "Bones are for dogs........" "That body shape is gross...." "VS models look like stick figures......." "Women who lift are too bulky and look like men......" Usually voiced by newbies. Usually called out by people who've been here a while.

Not mean: "Do you have any research to back that up?" "Diet Coke isn't going to kill you...." "Your liver and kidneys do all the cleansing your body needs......" "Do you weigh and measure your food? You're eating more than you think....." "OP, stop spreading the sugar is evil pseudoscience......" "You do not have a slow metabolism...." Usually voiced by people who have been here a long time and done some research. Usually argued against by people who like to hold onto false beliefs, also usually newbies.

Guess which groups generate the greatest number of "Mean People" spinoff threads? It's kind of ironic when you think about it.

Honestly, I think that some of the things you quoted under not mean are considered "mean" (not by me) is because it means that someone has to take some responsibility for what they are doing wrong. For some it's much easier to go with the wrong information like their muscle is turning into fat than to think that they are doing it wrong by estimating portions. The quotes that are usually found in the "I can't lose weight" threads are a perfect example of that. The ones that make the most excuses are the ones who usually make the mean people threads.

Personally I think it's a lot meaner to just say things to make the OP feel better even if the information is completely wrong. Even worse is when the advice given is a blanket statement like "lower your calories" when the person saying it doesn't even know how many calories the OP is eating to begin with.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

You're never snarky. I have no idea what you are talking about. :indifferent:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NEVER.
    EVER.
    EVER.
    I am NEVER snarky. :blushing:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would just like to mention that I love mean informative people on here
    please keep up the good work. Those of us who've been around a little longer than a few months have seen the good done overall. And do keep those gifs coming
    love yah :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I would just like to mention that I love the
    informative people on here
    please keep up the good work. Those of us who've been around a little longer than a few months have seen the good done overall.

Made a slight adjustment
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    These so called "mean people" are actually the nice ones because:

7d3403f3b0c9989822e2dcf8ab38e40d.jpg

People take it as being "mean" because they don't want to own up to their stuff:

14-1-e1390535398807.png
  • lisahenneberry83
    lisahenneberry83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    well said!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would just like to mention that I love the
    informative people on here
    please keep up the good work. Those of us who've been around a little longer than a few months have seen the good done overall.

Made a slight adjustment

lighten-up-francis-o_zpsb04bf304.gif