Fasting.

Options

Replies

• fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ARF!
    Is your avi from the dark crystal?

Don't tick off Fizzgig. He'll chomp you but good.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    ARF!
    Is your avi from the dark crystal?

Don't tick off Fizzgig. He'll chomp you but good.
    That was his name! For the life of me I couldn't remember!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    if you are going to quote me- do it right.
    I would never be as mean as you trailer trash hillbillies" hypocrisy
    I never said that I'm not mean.
    I also never said I was a Buddhist.

If you are such a great runner and are only here to reduce your body fat---why don't you offer some real advice ?
    Instead of proving my point.

Tell me again how someone with my upbringing as a member of a lower caste makes me trash.

I can't wait to hear how a bigot is going to defend their bigotry.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be embarking on a good 3/4 day tea/water fast to cleanse, I am wondering if anyone would like to join me. I have alot of toxins to rid myself of and I heard fasting works for alot of things.
    PM me

What things have you heard it works for? Have you researched this to ensure this is the right course of action for you?

All that will happen on this fast is you'll be hungry and you may lose a bunch of water weight. As soon as you eat food you'll be back where you started.
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    All that will happen on this fast is you'll be hungry and you may lose a bunch of water weight. As soon as you eat food you'll be back where you started.

I hear "calories in calories out!" all the time... until someone mentions fasting. Then the rules change.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Am I too late for the ragequit?!
  • KarenJanine
    Options

I hear "calories in calories out!" all the time... until someone mentions fasting. Then the rules change.

The rules don't change. Fat loss takes a consistent calorie deficit and takes time. 3 days is not enough time for any significant fat loss.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

The rules don't change. Fat loss takes a consistent calorie deficit and takes time. 3 days is not enough time for any significant fat loss.

The OP didn't mention fat loss as a goal. I guess that's your reading.
  • SLSBurn
    Options
    Well, I know that fasting won't kill you. Just do it to in moderation. Like intermittent fasting. The Hodgetwins do it, this medical doctor by the last name Lara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo) did it and his wife. And there were no ill effects upon their bodies. It increases fat loss because it naturally increases your BMR and it also helps show you whether you're truly hungry or not. So you have my support. It's not a bad thing. Plus most people on here are here because we needed to stop eating so much in the first place. Fasting helps you think and realize how food is here to help you live and not here to consistently eat. There are more important things than eating 24/7. Anyways rant off. Guys here at MFP. Fasting isn't crazy. It's actually pretty normal. We all skip meals sometimes, and are sometimes too busy to eat. :P BTW that link is a good one to watch in case you're looking to do intermittent fasting later. I did it for sometime and it really helps you lose water weight fast. As well as normal fat too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I know that fasting won't kill you. Just do it to in moderation. Like intermittent fasting. The Hodgetwins do it, this medical doctor by the last name Lara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZWOXhoFpo) did it and his wife. And there were no ill effects upon their bodies. It increases fat loss because it naturally increases your BMR and it also helps show you whether you're truly hungry or not. So you have my support. It's not a bad thing. Plus most people on here are here because we needed to stop eating so much in the first place. Fasting helps you think and realize how food is here to help you live and not here to consistently eat. There are more important things than eating 24/7. Anyways rant off. Guys here at MFP. Fasting isn't crazy. It's actually pretty normal. We all skip meals sometimes, and are sometimes too busy to eat. :P BTW that link is a good one to watch in case you're looking to do intermittent fasting later. I did it for sometime and it really helps you lose water weight fast. As well as normal fat too.

People generally do not have an issue with IF here and in fact many many people follow it. It is highly unlikely the OP is referring to that however.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Toxins in the body don't exist. High dosages of "poisons" can become toxic, but one would be hospitalized from that. You want to "cleanse", just eat more fiber and poo.

Happy to eat the fibre ..... but I'll draw the line at poo ;-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

How does that change the rules?
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Just some additional thoughts.
    Once again I practise fasting occassionally. The type changes. Sometimes one meal.a day over a period of days, sometimes no.solid food at all for a day or days, etc. The reasons are primarily spiritual!
    My observations though :
    1. Fasting is not ideal or sustainable if being used as a weight loss method if a lifestyle approach is being taken to weight loss
    2. Fasting is great at purging your body of toxins excess and leaves you feeling much healthier once done (even if not during)
    3. Fasting does sort of "turn.a switch" in your mind and helps you realise and also break any unhealthy addictions to food or certain types of food that you may have!
    4. For me, fasting for spiritual reasons coupled with prayer has been a channel to break into realms of the spiritual and miraculous that I had never seen before!

All the best!
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

I mean that people don't consider the calories-in-calories-out principle to apply in terms of fasting. It's more (and I'm quoting directly here, as I did previously, thus one would think obviating the need for repetition...)

"All that will happen on this fast is you'll be hungry and you may lose a bunch of water weight. As soon as you eat food you'll be back where you started".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I mean that people don't consider the calories-in-calories-out principle to apply in terms of fasting. It's more (and I'm quoting directly here, as I did previously, thus one would think obviating the need for repetition...)

"All that will happen on this fast is you'll be hungry and you may lose a bunch of water weight. As soon as you eat food you'll be back where you started".

That does not change CICO though. The comment is that it changes behavioral aspects and water weight - that has nothing to do with the concept of CICO.

Edited to clarify.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Have we got bingo yet?

Or should I find a cat gif?
  • KarenJanine
    Options

I was reading in response to your CICO comment. If fat loss is not the goal then what's the relevance of "calories in calories out"?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have we got bingo yet?

Or should I find a cat gif?

cat gif....

or 'flogging a dead horse' gif?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I just joined.
    I've never made a comment on any site.
    I just read comments to gain insight and learn, like WhyQuit.com- I quit smoking.
    In fact-I've never joined a group until last week with this one.
    I'm not sure if I will ever ask for advice at MFP.
    I have seen such distasteful remarks that lack maturity and basic common sense and kindness.
    Many of you sound like a bunch of trailer trash hillbillies who want to feel better about your lives by putting someone down ---anonymously online.
    I thought these things were for support and an exchange of ideas. How wrong I seem to be.
    Why all these rude and negative comments???---Everyone here is overweight and you're acting like you know it all! You don't---or none of us would be here.
    Give your head a shake!!!

To the OP: I have taken some meditation courses in Therevada Buddism where you can't eat after 12 noon...the evening meal is tea and some fruit. And the next time you eat is at 630 for breakfast. I tried it and I got used to it. You get used to eating less and it feels good.... But I haven't done it at home yet.
    A lot of people and cultures fast to give their body a rest.
    Friend me if you want.
    Take care

Last I checked fruit was food - therefore you are eating after 12 noon.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

I was reading in response to your CICO comment. If fat loss is not the goal then what's the relevance of "calories in calories out"?

A3l77XMiLZxde.gif