Next time you go to subway

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Why are you so defensive? I am just letting a little info out about my Subway. I am working there until I go to school next fall and it feels good to let out a little anonymous information about how gross the fast food industry is.

I'm not defensive- you're just wrong.

I think you need a dictionary- so you know what words are when people use them and stop just flinging them around blindly around a mallet hoping to build a house with it. and a lesson in hand washing. Seriously.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    OP: Where do you live?
    I'd like reassurance that I never have to eat a sandwich personally made by you...

Also, if you relocate to Wendy's (or another fast food chain I enjoy), can you PM me?
    Thanks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Jared said it was good and he seemed like a nice guy.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    All I know is Subway really makes me want to try Cropfit.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We ordered orange chicken from Panda Express recently, and it tasted quite old (should have just taken it back to the counter), and while we were eating we saw them bring out a new bowl full and dump on top of the old. I told the girl at the counter that the chicken she had left in there probably needed thrown out, as it tasted old, and she responded that they aren't allowed to throw anything out. They just leave it until it's gone. Shame, as I generally love some Panda Express!
    I have worked at 4 different Subways and yes, they did all change the expiration dates on food. Not the one on the package. But when you take it out of the package you date the food and it's good for "x" days. When "x" days were up if the food was still left we were required to put a new sticker on it with the new date.
    What new date?

I work at Quiznos and we have to use everything within 48 hours of slicing it/opening the package (we slice the meat and cheese ourselves) so im guessing its the same at Subway. So if its good from Sept 14-16 they probably change it to Sept 16-18 after the 16th.
    I worked at dozens of restaurants before and during college and never saw anything like that. Though none were fast food or delis.

But why bother date labeling the food, if the dates are ignored? To fool corporate when they come check? Don't the store managers realize a case of food poisoning from listeria laced turkey is going to be a lot more harmful to their career than higher food costs?

I'm no food priss but I'm glad I don't eat at sub shops except on very rare occasions. Expired deli meat is gross. :sick:
  • shamrock432
    Options
    Why are you so defensive? I am just letting a little info out about my Subway. I am working there until I go to school next fall and it feels good to let out a little anonymous information about how gross the fast food industry is.

I think you need a dictionary- so you know what words are when people use them and stop just flinging them around blindly around a mallet hoping to build a house with it. and a lesson in hand washing. Seriously.

wHAT ARE you even saying
  • shamrock432
    Options
    We ordered orange chicken from Panda Express recently, and it tasted quite old (should have just taken it back to the counter), and while we were eating we saw them bring out a new bowl full and dump on top of the old. I told the girl at the counter that the chicken she had left in there probably needed thrown out, as it tasted old, and she responded that they aren't allowed to throw anything out. They just leave it until it's gone. Shame, as I generally love some Panda Express!
    I have worked at 4 different Subways and yes, they did all change the expiration dates on food. Not the one on the package. But when you take it out of the package you date the food and it's good for "x" days. When "x" days were up if the food was still left we were required to put a new sticker on it with the new date.
    What new date?

I work at Quiznos and we have to use everything within 48 hours of slicing it/opening the package (we slice the meat and cheese ourselves) so im guessing its the same at Subway. So if its good from Sept 14-16 they probably change it to Sept 16-18 after the 16th.
    I worked at dozens of restaurants before and during college and never saw anything like that. Though none were fast food or delis.

But why bother date labeling the food, if the dates are ignored? To fool corporate when they come check? Don't the store managers realize a case of food poisoning from listeria laced turkey is going to be a lot more harmful to their career than higher food costs?

I'm no food priss but I'm glad I don't eat at sub shops except on very rare occasions. Expired deli meat is gross. :sick:

Yes, if we do have expired labels when they come, we get points marked off. And, if the manager decided to throw away the foods instead of serving it passed its exp date then they would have to explain to their boss why they over prepped. The subway I work at is the top subway in the county and we do it.. so yeah. No one has died from it and the regulars keep coming back so i guess its not a big deal.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Friend of ours is a Federal food inspector for restaurants and fast food places in this area. He walks in with no one knowing he is coming and orders food. Takes temperature readings of food and over records with the owners of the franchise... Subway is one of the cleanest places to eat and has one of the strictest record keeping in this area according to him Did you have a bad experience at a Subway, hence portraying them as being unhealthy. As far as chemicals, look at any sliced meat that is purchased from your deli or store. Eat there probably at least once a week and never had a problem..
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can say about Subway is, that I don't like it very much, but my family does so from time-to-time we do get sandwiches there. I just have to say that to me, the sandwiches are like air - don't have much flavor. One time I ordered a Subway Club that is supposed to have ham, turkey and roast beef on it. They put on the ham and turkey, but not the roast beef. When I pointed it out to them (the sandwich was still in the assembly-stage) they TOOK OFF 2 slices of turkey and then put on two slices of roast beef in the spaces left from the turkey. God-forbid they should give an extra slice or two. I just couldn't believe it. It seemed so cheap to me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

wHAT ARE you even saying

I'm saying you called me defensive- and there is about zero defensiveness in my original post.

which means I'm saying- you have no idea what defensive means.

I'm saying- you threw the word out there and have no idea what that actually looks like.

Does that break it down for you a little bit better??
  • shamrock432
    Options
    I am too lazy to go look up your post, but it was defensive. Why don't you stop trying to act like a know it all, because you are coming off as the opposite. BAI
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I really want subway now... My roommate use to work at subway and they didn't do the things you said. My last job was at McDonald's and I can honestly tell you not to eat at the ones in Glendale AZ... The cooks don't wear gloves, do drop food and sometimes eat while making things. That and the food does not have times on it most of the time. They even put their booger hands in the sweet tea to mix it. We get warned about an hour ahead of time by an inside for inspections and would just label everything and toss out most of the food ahead of time.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I always check to see if people wash thier hands. The small sub shop I go to I am pleased to see the same two women working there and they do frequenly wash thier hands! Awesome!

I have walked out of other places when a worker emptied the trash, swept the floor , then with the same pair of gloves started to make my sub... "I change my mind thanks" gross!
    How does someone check to see if people wash?
    Are you directly asking if they have or asking if they will wash them in front of you?
    Are you asking them for a smell test of their hands?
    Im genuinely curious!
    And if they didn't or they wont (re)wash, youre taking their word...because they said so?!?
    I mean, look at OP....he just made a claim that "they" dont and clearly no one is 2nd guessing them :ohwell: :sick:
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what subway you go to and the management there. I work there and we have strict guidelines with defrosting and how long we keep food for and even if it is 5 minutes over the time it has to be thrown out and it hasn't been thrown out we get a warning and 3 warnings you lose your job. You are best off not getting cheese or sauce or if you do get cheese get the swiss cheese. If I get anything I always get a salad bowl with roast chicken or chicken strips and add my own home made sauce. Obviously any take away food is going to be processed. If you want full control over what you eat then you are best off cooking all your food yourself. If they are using bread that has been dropped then that is disgusting and that store should be closed for violating food safety requirements. Some people who work at subway don't care which I HATE but there is people who do care as well its a shame that a few bad people/ stores that are like the one you are talking about. If you don't like something that the person is doing when they make your sandwich then speak up and let them know! Im so fussy when it comes to subway and I always make sure my customer gets a nice sandwich that is neat there is nothing worse then when they just throw it together and it looks like the sandwich has been thrown across the room. You can go onto subway's website and look at all the nutritional content of everything that is for sale including ingredient lists and allergen fact sheet. As other people have said everything in moderation.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I always check to see if people wash thier hands. The small sub shop I go to I am pleased to see the same two women working there and they do frequenly wash thier hands! Awesome!

I have walked out of other places when a worker emptied the trash, swept the floor , then with the same pair of gloves started to make my sub... "I change my mind thanks" gross!
    How does someone check to see if people wash?
    Are you directly asking if they have or asking if they will wash them in front of you?
    Are you asking them for a smell test of their hands?
    Im genuinely curious!
    And if they didn't or they wont (re)wash, youre taking their word...because they said so?!?
    I mean, look at OP....he just made a claim that "they" dont and clearly no one is 2nd guessing them :ohwell: :sick:

The Subway where I buy from has a handwashing sink in view of customers - you see people wash their hands after being at the till and then going to food preparing, for example.

I dont have to ask - I can see them doing it
    Also my daughter worked at that Subwayfor a while - they treated her fine. Like any other place employing teenagers working in a casual part time job.
    She also ate the Subways herself quite often.

The Subway where you worked OP may have bad practices (including bad ones by yourself) but that does not speak for all Subways in all of the world.

and of course the food has chemicals and of course the meat and cheese are pre sliced - but big deal, the cheese I use at home is pre sliced too.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this site :)
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Jared said it was good and he seemed like a nice guy.

Yeah but Jared had aides.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've worked in restraunts off and on for years and I'm practically OCD about hand washing, hand sanitizer (i brought my own bottle when i was with hardee's to put in my prep area), and gloves but that's a personal preference having an issue with the smell of raw meat. This being said most restruants are very good about cleanliness standards. I can't see most places over prepping on veggies but I'd be a little leery of dates on things like chili and what not in some of the stores that don't have a lot of demand for those things.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    And you know this how?

OP stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

That was absolutely hilarious LOL Not going to stop going to Subway :laugh: