Next time you go to subway

Options

Replies

• willodawisp85
    willodawisp85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always check to see if people wash thier hands. The small sub shop I go to I am pleased to see the same two women working there and they do frequenly wash thier hands! Awesome!

I have walked out of other places when a worker emptied the trash, swept the floor , then with the same pair of gloves started to make my sub... "I change my mind thanks" gross!
    How does someone check to see if people wash?
    Are you directly asking if they have or asking if they will wash them in front of you?
    Are you asking them for a smell test of their hands?
    Im genuinely curious!
    And if they didn't or they wont (re)wash, youre taking their word...because they said so?!?
    I mean, look at OP....he just made a claim that "they" dont and clearly no one is 2nd guessing them :ohwell: :sick:

I have been to quite a few subways all over the UK and they have all worn gloves every time. I don't really eat that much meat so I get the veggie option and they alway put on fresh gloves for the veggie subs if they have been touching meat. I did see a gross story in the newspaper where a worker put lettuce up his nose and filmed it on his mobile, but you can't really blame subway for that. The guy was an idiot and got sacked.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that I'm supposed to be surprised.
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Why is this in Fitness and Exercise??
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes??
    My friend owns a subway- I can double check from her- but I can promise you she's never done that at HER"S.
    and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets.
    you've seen this personally with your own eyes? PS I eat food off my floor at home all the time- and I'm pretty sure cats are not remotely close to sanitary.
    Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced.
    and you're point? The meat I buy for dinner comes prepackaged- and sometimes when i'm lazy?? PRESLICED!!!
    There is nothing authentic about subway,
    it's a hoagie- not a cultural appreciation stop.
    and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

the air you breath is significantly full of chemicals as well- I guess you should just stop breathing too.
    rekt'd

on a side note i've been going to subway for the past 25 of 35 days and have lost 20lbs.
  • tripsup
    Options
    I'm amused at how you think people should be surprised. Is this your first job? It has to at least be your first job in food service. I worked at a handful of fast food places during and after high school, and this is how it is everywhere. Wendy's, Sonic, McDonald's, Jack in the Box... Maybe you thought it was a shocker because people think of Subway as somewhat "healthy"...? Don't get me wrong, I love subway. It's affordable, and better for you than other fast food joints, but seriously, this is everywhere. I'm honestly perplexed about how many people on this thread have said about that they worked in food service and NEVER saw anything like that. Honestly, I always tried my best to wash my hands, do everything according to code, avoid cross contamination, etc. But most people that work fast food jobs are high schoolers. They don't give a rats *kitten* if you get sick from the food.

And as far as the changing dates on food goes, they don't just keep doing it for an unreasonable amount of time and let the food go bad. Most fast food chains have unreasonably short food holding periods. At sonic, sliced limes can't be stored for more than 4 hours. Even if they're covered and refrigerated. So, of course, I've seen people change the date on them. While this is an unethical practice, food costs would be through the roof if fast food places abided by the expiration date rules set by the company.

Geez. I didn't mean to make this that long. :| sorry, guys.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just can't get past the smell of the "bread". :sick:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    The expiration date thing is no big deal. A day or so on either side doesn't matter. I worked in the deli at a large grocery chain. Expired cold cuts were what went into the prepared ham salad, chicken salad, etc in the case. Or we'd take expired hams, glaze them, re-bake them, and sell them as in-store baked ham. We would routinely pull the dead lobsters from the tank and cook and package them ...

People are a little too afraid of expiration dates. It hasn't gone bad until it's gone bad. The date's a guideline, that's all.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    Options
    I naturally assumed OP was just your average ordinary troll on MFP....
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been managing Subways for 8 years and at no time has it been our policy to change dates on expired product. All expired product is wasted and written off. We also have surprise visits every month from Subway field consultants to make sure everything is running smoothly. We take temps of all food at least twice a day to ensure all foods are within the food safety zones. Now I cannot say that every store is ran as I run mine but I would be willing to say that most are.
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    consider the fact that when food expires, they just change the labels to a different date. and when they drop bread on the floor, they wait until all costumers have left and put it back in the ready to serve bread cabinets. Also, consider that all of the meats and cheese come pre packaged and pre sliced. There is nothing authentic about subway, and although it may have lower calories ( not even that much of a difference ) than most fast food, it is definitely filled with just as many chemicals.

Thank you for letting us know... but I'll still be getting my steak and cheese with everything on it next time I'm passing.
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All this thread did was make me want a Subway club.
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    By these rules, my husband probably shouldn't eat any of the food I cook either....:tongue:

I don't think we'd be able to eat anything. :smile:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Sounds like OP got fired from Subway for putting back bread that fell on the floor and changing the dates on the expired meat.

OP: if they really did things like that and people got sick that particular franchise would get shut down in a heart beat.

(although my mom used to work at Woolworths as a kid and said that they would just rinse the slime off the old hotdogs and resell them :sick: )
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sounds like OP got fired from Subway for putting back bread that fell on the floor and changing the dates on the expired meat.

OP: if they really did things like that and people got sick that particular franchise would get shut down in a heart beat.

(although my mom used to work at Woolworths as a kid and said that they would just rinse the slime off the old hotdogs and resell them :sick: )
    And was she fired?
    I think it's been shown in this thread that what the OP describes, actually happens in some fast food restaurants. Not that it's a surprise.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

And was she fired?
    I think it's been shown in this thread that what the OP describes, actually happens in some fast food restaurants. Not that it's a surprise.

Right.

"Some" not all.

And again if there is an outbreak of illness then it will be investigated and that restaurant will more than likely be shut down.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bread on the floor? Pre-sliced meats? Changing dates on food? Amateur hour. Waaay back in the day, when I was a wee adolescent serving my time in fast food hell, one of the grill guys found a mouse romping merrily around inside a bag of hamburger buns.

After evicting said mouse (all the guys tried like hell to stomp on the poor terrified beast while all the girls hopped around squealing, "Oh, leave him alone!" - mousie eventually made it to a crack in the wall and disappeared), the manager, a truly repulsive old lech, ordered grill guy to just throw away the buns that were obviously nibbled and use the rest.

Fortunately our collective outcry of disgust convinced him to change his mind and the entire bag of buns was tossed (we probably should have tossed the whole flat, considering the way mice pee nonstop while they're running around - we did check all the other bags for nibble holes), but to this day I wonder what the heck he was thinking. Here's your burger, do you want hantavirus with that?
  • shamrock432
    Options

And was she fired?

Right.

"Some" not all.

And again if there is an outbreak of illness then it will be investigated and that restaurant will more than likely be shut down.

I wasn't fired!! Im just saying anonymous information.
  • shamrock432
    Options

I don't do this stuff, my manager teaches me to do this stuff. I haven't been in a situation to change the labels and haven't dropped bread yet.
  • shamrock432
    Options
    I've been managing Subways for 8 years and at no time has it been our policy to change dates on expired product. All expired product is wasted and written off. We also have surprise visits every month from Subway field consultants to make sure everything is running smoothly. We take temps of all food at least twice a day to ensure all foods are within the food safety zones. Now I cannot say that every store is ran as I run mine but I would be willing to say that most are.

I think last months award was Gold for my subway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wasn't fired!! Im just saying anonymous information.

I'd really like to know what "anonymous information" is.