Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options

Replies

• mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Real mature guys...laugh it up at my weight loss struggle.
    I'm not struggling. I am doing quite well, thank you.

Is you is, or is you ain't?

I thought I made it clear in previous posts that those were past struggles. I apologize.

May we laugh at things in the past or not?

If that's what you would like to do.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'm not struggling. I am doing quite well, thank you.

Is you is, or is you ain't?

I thought I made it clear in previous posts that those were past struggles. I apologize.

May we laugh at things in the past or not?

If that's what you would like to do.

Never mind. This thread is full of people who take things a bit too seriously. Typical MFP. Time for another beer and to hear about everyone's depressing problems, and careful food choices, and how we're all going to die. FFS. At least use some photos with this PP presentation.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmxloiapfq1s1k3jho1_500.gif

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

Donuts will resign you to an unhealthy life, and I urge you to eliminate or minimize their consumption.

May I introduce you to a healthy alternative? Glazed Yeast Rings:

yeasters_zps74ad3720.png

I am led to believe that these healthy glazed yeast rings come in all sorts of flavors and shapes, but this is the only handy image I have handy.

I had a glazed yeast ring with a protein shake this morning

That's worth like 20 healthy points right?

By my calculations, that's just a smidge more than 36.4 healthy points! Well done!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Can I get some cliffnotes? Ain't nobody got time for 18 pages of this but I am so IN.

Shortest version…Everyone who plays MFP Bingo got Bingo in ONE thread.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Can I get some cliffnotes? Ain't nobody got time for 18 pages of this but I am so IN.

OP was upset that their post about "clean eating" (in her words she meant more fruits/veggies and less fast food/processed stuff) in a "why can't I lose weight" thread was rebuffed in favor of calories in < calories out, and then created new thread upset about original rebuffing.

Cue the *kitten* hitting the fan.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I get it. I agree with you. I have to pay attention to all the macros, not just calories. If I focus on strictly calories in/calories out, I won't lose.

if you burn more than you consume....you will.

If it were that easy, I would be skinny. If that works for you, then that is excellent. I must be the exception to the rule. I have tried to lose weight every way imaginable (with the exception of surgery). I'm not saying I eat clean. I still eat some processed foods. I am just saying, I personally need to pay attention to the whole picture in order to be successful. Counting calories alone will sabotage me every time. I have learned this by trial and error. I am sorry if you don't believe me, but it is true.

so then you're not arguing against the fact that if one burns more than they consume, they will lose weight.
    your issue is that you cant seem to keep your cals below your burn.

fair enough.

i thought you were saying that you were eating at a deficit and not losing weight.
    tumblr_lxuyrspehO1rn95k2o1_400.gif

I am arguing that I have eaten at a deficit before and not lost weight. I am also saying that eating processed foods doesn't fill me up like healthier options do. I am also saying that I have previously gone over my calorie limit due to still being hungry an hour after eating processed foods. I am also saying that I have damn near starved myself, and still not lost weight.

My question is, why are you disagreeing with how my body works? It seems that you know nothing about me or my ability to lose weight...and people like YOU make me dislike this site. Not people like the OP.
    You haven't eaten at a deficit then. It is physically impossible for your body to take in less calories than it expends and not lose weight. I am being literal here. It is physically impossible.
    You weren't at a deficit, simple as that.

i feel like i should insert a special snowflake gif here, but i will refrain.

EDIT: nevermind....already been done. lol

as stated above, you were not eating at a deficit.

are you measuring and weighing EVERYTHING? if not, then how do you know?
    people are notoriously bad estimators...i was SHOCKED when i saw what a true 1/2 cup of ice cream looked like.

im sorry that people like me make you dislike this site. that certainly wasnt my intention. i guess my hope is that those who struggle with trying to stay within restrictive guidelines and struggle are able to come to the realization that, hey....you can TOTALLY do this and still eat the things you love. hell, it may make it EASIER. it certainly does for me.

looks like youre on the newer side to MFP, so i would like to provide these links to you. read them if youd like, or skip them and focus on eating "healthy". your call.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Am I new to this site? No. I started a new account recently when I decided to change my lifestyle/eating habits after I had my last child.

So that's cool. I'll just go ahead and eat nothing but pizza and honey buns and drink nothing but mountain dew...because you said I will lose weight doing so. Hah. Yeah I don't think so. I am not saying calories are not important. If I believed that I wouldn't count them religiously. But I am not going to sit here and say that they are the only thing that affects weight loss. You seriously don't believe carbs, sugar, sodium and fat have anything to do with weight loss? I am sorry, but I call BS. And I am not crying the blues about "what I've been through", so spare me your condescending crap. If you can eat complete garbage and lose weight then I applaud you. That is fantastic! And I envy you. Unfortunately, I can't do that. So basically I am done here. Thanks for your kind words. Really was the icing on top of a lovely day.

you have GOT to be kidding me.

was i mean? was i bullying?

i get the feeling you are one of those people who loves to play the victim.

if you think what i posted was condescending, please refrain from any other online forums. you need a thicker skin, sweetie.

if you want people to shower you in glitter and unicorn hugs and "way-to-go"s, you have come to the wrong place.

those links i posted are VERY helpful and written by people who have had great success here.

i wish you all the best on your weight loss journey and hope you find success in it, however that may be.

You, sir, are condescending. Calling me "sweetie" did nothing but justify that. Did I refer to you as a bully? No. Do I enjoy playing the victim? Not a chance. I don't need your links, so that was a waste of time on your part. I have done my own research, thank you. I am doing what works for me. You are doing what works for you. I never claimed to be a clean eater. I am also not interested in shoving my opinions down anyone's throat. To each their own.

The thickness of my skin is just fine, thank you.

I am not going to battle it out with some random stranger on a public forum any longer. I need to maintain a balanced diet in order to successfully lose weight. Do I sometimes splurge and eat a slice of pizza instead of a salad? Of course I do. But If I did that every day, I would fail. That is it. If you want to continue arguing with me over what works for my body then feel free. But I have other things to do. Like my workout, for example! Like you said, calories in/calories out, right? As for the glitter/rainbows/unicorn comment? hahaha....yeah....you have me figured out! Am I that transparent? hahahaha....Good day.

wow i dont even know skull, but he said nothing to deserve your attitude. he was trying to be helpful. if you seen that post as being condescending you really do need to get a thicker skin,, those links have some good info.. i have had success on my own, but i always want to learn more and i dont pretend to know everything. it sounds like you have it all figured out why are you even here, those links have some good info.. i have had success in my own, but i always want to learn more and i dont pretend to know everything. it sounds like you have it all figured out why are you even here if you dont want help and support.. mfp will eat you alive with that attitude towards people.i wish you the best of luck.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I totally understand water retention and fluctuations. I just know that my coworker has been working her butt off, logging everything and exercising like she has been for the last year, yet she has been at a complete stand still for over a month. I have researched the subject myself, but I was just curious about everyone's opinion...since opinions running rampant this evening I figured now would be a good time to ask :)

Is she measuring the food she eats with a food scale? Is she eating at maintenance or TDEE-15%? There are a lot of variables in her situation that could explain it. I'd venture to guess she's eating more than she thinks or is at maintenance because if you aren't losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit.

That could definitely be it. I'm not sure about her specifics, she just shares her frustrations with me at work. Thanks for your input :)

You're welcome…now I know you don't want to read these links (they are really helpful though…) maybe share them with your coworker

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1346163-change-your-mindset

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link right above this one then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Excuses??? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/06/02/the-no-excuses-play-like-a-champion-challenge/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • newdaydawning79
    Options

Shortest version…Everyone who plays MFP Bingo got Bingo in ONE thread.

SO much better than my version of the events! LOL!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Nicole shannon said: I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong
    I thought a "troll" was defined as posting provocative statements to start a flame war. And that certainly is provocative and insulting.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

OP was upset that their post about "clean eating" (in her words she meant more fruits/veggies and less fast food/processed stuff) in a "why can't I lose weight" thread was rebuffed in favor of calories in < calories out, and then created new thread upset about original rebuffing.

Cue the *kitten* hitting the fan.

Oh and to add to that…if you disagree you're a troll… (I do not think that word means what OP thinks it means)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    Nicole shannon said: I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong
    I thought a "troll" was defined as posting provocative statements to start a flame war. And that certainly is provocative and insulting.

And the fact that this is what the OP did..Hmmmmmm……does that make OP a Troll?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss, I believe that for the most part it is calories in - calories out.. However, as far as nutrition, it is important what we put in our bodies. Likewise, I believe that many are hungry because they lack adequate nutrients in the food they eat. As a result, it is sort of hard to keep our caloric intake down, long-term if a significant amount of the calories we take in are not quality food our bodies need to survive. For the most part, the original poster is not too far off as far as their assessment... Will we blow up like a balloon because we eat some processed gloomburgerizza?... Not if it is done in moderation... At the same time, over time, it will be hard to maintain our energy and sustain a significant deficit in caloric intake if 70% of our diet is made up of poor choices.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I ran out of gelato before I could finish the thread. I tried to make it last :cry:
  • newdaydawning79
    Options
    I need the rules for MFP Bingo, btw. Just saying.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I totally understand water retention and fluctuations. I just know that my coworker has been working her butt off, logging everything and exercising like she has been for the last year, yet she has been at a complete stand still for over a month. I have researched the subject myself, but I was just curious about everyone's opinion...since opinions running rampant this evening I figured now would be a good time to ask :)

Is she measuring the food she eats with a food scale? Is she eating at maintenance or TDEE-15%? There are a lot of variables in her situation that could explain it. I'd venture to guess she's eating more than she thinks or is at maintenance because if you aren't losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit.

That could definitely be it. I'm not sure about her specifics, she just shares her frustrations with me at work. Thanks for your input :)

As HoF said, it could be that she is eating at maintenance, or that she is measuring her food incorrectly. It could be that she is overestimating her activity level and calorie burn - as you lose weight, the number of calories you burn during activity decreases because you are moving less weight around, which is why it recommended to recalculate your numbers as you lose. The calories in vs calories out balance does work, you just have to figure out which part you need to tweak when the weight loss stops.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I ran out of gelato before I could finish the thread. I tried to make it last :cry:

Noooooooo!!:brokenheart:
  • Mrs_Sarah_Minor
    Mrs_Sarah_Minor Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

This post. Rant all you want, but you can't lead a person to knowledge and force them to learn. I'm still learning, and taking baby steps (and boy do I mean baby steps) to eating right, eating healthy, that sort of thing. There are certain limitations to people's eating habits, so you can't just assume that EVERYONE can afford to/want to/etc do the whole clean eating thing. You can't just assume that EVERYONE can jump on the band wagon just because you said so.

I'm not knocking you by any means, but I've been in the oppositions shoes before. Yes, you can be what you eat, but think of things this way - They are people too, and they might need more encouragement rather than someone TALKING at them, TELLING them what to do.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Sooooo left work, got home, took the husband through his work out, cooked dinner, ate dinner and 5 hours later, finally make it to the end of this dumpster fire. Well done everyone, another successful MFP bingo thread! :drinker: Time for creme brulee, because clearly, I don't understand health OR science and I have a death wish.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have a serious question that has nothing to do with clean eating or eating whatever you want as long as you stay within your range.

If weight loss is an exact science of calories in vs calories out, why do plateaus happen? Shouldn't you technically just keep on losing until you reach your goal weight, as long as you keep adjusting your calories as you shrink?

The reason is because people who "plateau" don't reduce their calories as they shrink. Also sometimes people subconsciously reduce their NEAT (that is, all incidental movement during the day that isn't exercise related) to compensate for eating less. But a plateau won't happen if you are eating at a deficit.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I need the rules for MFP Bingo, btw. Just saying.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/475116-mfp-bingo?hl=MFP+Bingo&page=1