Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options
I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This post is not going to end well.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    im all about IIFYM-to a degree. but you're right. you get out what you put in. I cant perform if I have 2000 calories of donuts and cheeseburgers instead of vegetables and lean meat.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am with you sista! Clean eating is the way to go! I recently experienced the same response from someone as well. hmmm. must be in the air.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This....
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

so, if that's how one goes about losing weight, is the opposite how I go about gaining that extra 5 pounds??
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

I don't want to be any of those things- I want to be a lean mean fighting machine like a side of delicious skirt steak.

You can be ragey all you want about it- but the reality is- while basic foods will help you feel full longer- since they tend to have lower calories than ordered food- they aren't inherently better.

The trade off- eating out usually means the individual foods are higher in calories- which means you can eat less and are often unsatisfied through the day- which means you eat MORE to feel full.

If you eat less calorie dense food- but very voluminous food- you feel fuller- having consumed less calories- which means you can maintain the trend and lose weight.

But one is not inherently better than the other.

PS- I don't think this thread will end the way you want it to.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In to see where this goes.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This CANNOT end well....
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Well, while I personally agree with you, I fully realize it is just that: my opinion. My husband doesn't even have the same opinions I do regarding food and health and that's okay. We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't "preach" or try to convince him of my opinions and neither does he.

What I don't like or agree with is when someone tries to convince everyone else that they are right and others are wrong. Just simply not the case, but that seems to be very common on these boards.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Dangit, you had me until "little or no refined sugar/ w(h)ite flours"

JK no you didn't.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Oh this thread again!
    tumblr_lyaio0xkdf1r8ns09o1_500.gif
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Definitely in......

I do agree to an extent though. Everything in moderation. I love me some "unhealthy" foods :wink:
  • Brialychr3
    Brialychr3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. People are just ignorant if they think that eating a full day of processed foods under their calorie goal is healthy. They might lose weight but they certainly won't gain any muscle. And over the long run these skinny healthy people die of heart attacks. Its the whole foods that helps us in the long run to live a long joyful life!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. You are what you eat.

Guess I'mma bowl of count chocula. ♡ yum yum yum
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You are a brave, brave soul. I don't have nearly enough time to go into everything I think on this subject, but I'll throw in these two cents:

I work in the biomedical research field (cancer). About two months ago, the director of the NIH came to my university to give a talk about many many things. Among the data he presented was the risk factors for various types of cancer. Everyone knows smoking is number one for lung cancer; the number two risk for colorectal cancer was processed meat (and the risk of cancer increased with any amount of processed meat consumed).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

This....

+1

I really, really want to respond to all this but I've been around here long enough to know better, so in for fun :laugh:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Hmmm. You are what you eat.

Guess I'mma bowl of count chocula. ♡ yum yum yum

wanna share that and I'll share my Milk Duds with you??
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I recently posted on a thread about someone who is having a hard time losing weight - upon looking at their diary, it showed that they consume a decent amount of processed, convenience, and fast foods. My advice was that they should consider really eating more fruits/veggies etc. I used the term "clean eating". Lo and behold, the inevitable comment came in response to my suggestion; I believe the exact quote was "Seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is."

I am going to lose my mind if I hear or see this comment again! I realize that for so many people the goal is to shed pounds, and I'm all for that! Obviously, losing the extra pounds is the first thing that is going to happen when converting to a healthy lifestyle, and it's mandatory in order to decrease the likelihood of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. But that's not the point of all of this. Food can be the best, most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison. The point is to eat the foods that are going to keep you healthy for the rest of your life. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT! Fresh produce, whole grains, unprocessed food, little or no refined sugar/ wite flours - THAT is how you lose weight, and get healthy.

It is dangerous and counterproductive to suggest that it doesn't matter what you put into your body. I expect backlash to this rant, and I welcome all you trolls to tell me that I'm wrong - but you ask any single expert, or even just a health conscious person out there and they will say the exact thing I've just said. No one can dispute this.

Yeah, but ... seriously, stop it. This is not helpful. It's not what the food is, it's overall calories and macros. As long as a person eats in a calorie deficit, the pounds will come off, it doesn't matter what the food being consumed is.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    BGI81.gif