Sorry I'm Not Sorry - I gotta rant!

Options

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    BGI81.gif
    +5000 LMAO

I just wanna be on Team Raccoon. How do I do that?
    I must to have this!
    Not the grammar police, but this one hurt my head!
    Purely intentional. My inner Liz Lemon came out. Sorry. :wink:
    Don't do that!!!:angry:
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I got sick from the salt. I found as I ate foods I haven't eaten in a while I've been able to taste things like artificial flavors that I no longer like. I love ice cream yet can't eat Friendly's. Same thing for chocolate. I can walk 14 miles a day. If dinner is going to be pizza I would rather it be half a slice from the local pizza shop than two slices of frozen
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    You're correct way too much processed and convenience food being eaten on a regular basis . Once in awhile won't kill you but day in day out it has to take a toll .
    this is an extremely subjective post!

What is "way too much"?
    What is "processed food"?
    What constitutes "on a regular basis"?
    What "toll" are you speaking of?
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Where's the LIKE button?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Where's the LIKE button?

Even better....ignore button :laugh:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here because, HEY, why not. It will give me something to read when I get back from the gym later.

I'm freaked out by all the chemicals and hormones in our food nowadays. Not in a tin-hatty kind of way, but in a very broad, very general, we eat all this chemical nonsense and we also have all these new diseases, kids these days have loads of allergies, no one knows where the high rates of autism are coming from, etc. I don't KNOW s*hit about what causes anything, and I don't claim to. But our environment is contaminated and I think a lot of our food is too. We use a lot of things in food now that haven't been around long enough to determine if they have adverse health affects. It doesn't make me wildly comfortable.

For that and other reasons I am trying to eat "cleaner." To me that means more fresh fruits and veg, and meat that isn't fed a lot of crap. Luckily, I can afford to that. Also, I tend to feel better and have more energy, have an easier time meeting macros and micros, and have an easier time losing weight.

But I'm also human. I would go insane eating like that all the time. I'm going to get take out maybe once a week. Usually greek or indian yummmmmm. I will buy myself a cupcake once a month. Every few months I cave and have a diet coke. I will eat a burger now and then. Most people are like me, and would go crazy if they had to focus on eating perfectly clean all the time, regardless of what clean meant to them. Restricting yourself to any diet entirely is really really hard and can lead to "unclean" binges.

The way you feed yourself and your family is personal, maybe as personal as religion or lifestyle. For me personally, if I get sick one day, I don't want to look back and wonder if healthier habits could have helped me. Instead, I want to work on my mental and physical health now while I'm young, which to me includes a moderated effort to eat as unprocessed and "clean" as I can, while acknowledging that exceptions are necessary to my mental well being.

OP, you can't force anyone to do anything, especially if you act like your way is the only way.

Do you use air freshener in your house?

Or carpet or wood or plastic?
    drive a car?
    use a microwave?
    cell phone?
    contrails?

Not that it matters, but no carpet (the chemicals of newly installed carpet give me a headache, actually a pretty common thing). I don't have a problem with 200 year old hardwood floors. No, I don't drive, I live in the city. I avoid microwaving my food but of course use it sometimes. The cell phone thing freaks me out too, but is necessary for work. I have no idea what the last word even means.

No where in my post did I say that eating how I choose to eat will save the world or totally eliminate toxic things from my life. No where. I very reasonably said it is one step towards a healthy lifestyle, something that is not refuted merely because other unhealthy things exist. Guess what? I can't control them all, but I can control what I put in my body. So why not put in the things that make me feel good and keep me healthy? You'll probably respond "because pop tarts are delicious" or something. Pop tarts are not my thing, I think they're gross. But when I was at work at the jail for ten hours and it was the most filling thing in the vending machine? Sure, I ate a pop tart. This is my point, of course there will be exceptions or I will eat things that are tasty but unhealthy once in a while. But I will still eat healthy to try and be healthier, and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.

I'm not a fan of pop tarts.
    You fear toxic things in your life that aren't toxic.
    There is probably less risk with microwaving your food than with molds from hardwood floors.

What do you think is toxic in a poptart?

I'm sorry, did I say it was "toxic"?? No I absolutely did not. It is processed sugar, some sort of gelatin, etc. In addition to not liking the taste I avoid processed crap, as previously explained. But sometimes, I have processed or unhealthy things because I need to or because I like them.

Microwaving absolutely can cause problems. Why do you think certain materials are not microwave safe? Microwaving various containers releases chemicals, that is well established and is one of the reasons those "BPA free" labels were on everything for a while. DId i say OH GOD NO NO ONE EVER MICROWAVE YOU'LL DIE? No, I said I of course microwave sometimes but I avoid it when reasonable. Guess what? That is completely reasonable.

I don't "fear' things the way you are claiming I do. You are trying to take my very reasonable position and make it unreasonable.

Also unless your floors are pretty terrible they do not have mold when sealed properly. Mine are fantastic, thank you very much.

In addition to your general rabble rousing, you've completely ignored the entire point and spirit of my post. People make PERSONAL health choices about the things in their life that they control. Just as much as I sure as hell would never let you try and shame me about what medications to take, or birth control to use, or how many children to have, or what sort of exercise I enjoy, or how to handle a personal conflict, I WILL NOT, in any way, let you pass judgment on my personal choice to try and eat unprocessed food. I didn't say YOU are WRONG for not doing it. I said that it is a PERSONAL CHOICE and cautioned OP that she can't adopt such an attitude and expect anyone to listen to her. I in NO way implied that there are not other sources of chemicals in the world. Your responses did that. YOU DID. I did not.

If you want to pick this fight, pick one of the people who actually said anything controversial. I explained my personal choice to OP and the reasoning behind it. As I said before, I can control what I put in my body, so I put things in it that make me feel good. And I feel good when I make a reasonable effort to be fairly "clean" as I define it.

Maybe you should avoid plastic containers?
    So the sugar in pop-tarts is unhealthy in the way you are eating?

I'm rabble rousing very little - I'm point out that the constructed fears don't make sense. There is no need to fear eating a poptart every once in a while - processed sugar or not.

You probably eat pretty well - and shouldn't feel any shame. I've written nothing that shames eating variety. In fact, I've made no comment on what you eat. Not one, except agree with you that I personally don't like the taste of pop tarts much. Not a single comment on food in the above quotes comes from me. You are the one "freaking out about chemicals and hormones in food".

Why would your medications or birth control or children concern me or even be part of this discussion?
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I connected with a personal trainer for a first meeting, and he was talking about the importance of eating clean.

I told him that if it meant that I had to give up my tim hortons coffee and subway meals, then no way, but that I am learning (still learning) how to pick smarter foods to make me feel hungry longer. Less junk, more chicken.

I am improving on the quality of the food that I eat, and it's being done out of necessity to stick within a specific calorie budget (and not be hungry).

He said that he juices everything -even makes his own almond milk. Nothing processed. He figures he's going to live to 120.

I said that I want to enjoy life NOW... so could he tell me what the T-70 plan was? Is that a lil processed with some healthy thrown in? He laughed, but didn't realize I'm serious.

I'm all about eating smarter, feeling full, being healthy... but I am also all about going out for ice cream with my girls, or having my coffee in the morning. Getting that cappuccino or donut.

Besides... what if I pick the T-120 plan and spend all that time and effort, and then get hit by a bus next week? a) that would really suck and b) I could have enjoyed a donut between now and then.

The part in bold is my favourite. I feel the same way!
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My diet is not so great, I do stay in my calories and I am losing weight. BUT, I do see an improvement over my food choices for the most part over the last month. So maybe like me, it is a learning process for them, slow but learning.....

For expample: I cut out the daily egg mcmuffin and am having oatmeal instead. I know this is a better choice for me. I am eating more greens.

What if I need the protein in the egg?

I say eat that egg... I was more trying to say is that we all should find what works for us and she will find her own personal path.....
  • Katiegirl1970
    Katiegirl1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree with you however i do want to point out that when you are just starting to try to gain control, you generally have no concept of 'healthy eating'.

Calorie counting is a simple formula that doesn't require research--just the ability to basic add and subtract.

But when you add 'healthy and nutritious" in this formula it can become overwhelming.

For me, I HAD to start with JUST calorie counting. I didn't know what was more healthy and what nutritional factors were. So while i can certainly understand the poster telling you they only focused on the numbers, I can also understand that eventually people will need an over all knowledge and to be able to understand more than just the numbers.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    wait.. so if being 'healthy' is different for every person, aren't we all right?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    wait.. so if being 'healthy' is different for every person, aren't we all right?

Yes. You're all winners. Every last one of you.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I wanna know what counts as processing? Does taking tomatoes & canning them counts as a process? Because they're still tomatoes in the tin and haven't changed. The tin next to me says ingredients: tomatoes, water. How about taking honey from a beehive and putting it a jar? Is it okay to eat straight from the comb but not from the jar? If I make pizza at home from scratch (even grinding my own flour) is that processing? What about if I put it in a box and sell it to someone else? Does that make it bad all of a sudden or somehow change the nutritional value? I am actually curious to know where people draw the line at what did counts as too processed to eat.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has entertained me for well over an hour. Thank you all, I was afraid I was going to be bored tonight! :flowerforyou:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

2jfjgg5.gif
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if the OP ever came back after the first page...
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options

2jfjgg5.gif

this is perfect
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I was told this thread would deliver and, 17 pages later, I have to say I was not disappointed. Nothing makes me smile like people who think eating a poptart or donut will cancel out the spinach, peppers, apple, lean meats, and sweet potatoes I had today
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

That's a good question. There's no way they didn't realize what was going to happen. :laugh:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Hmmmm….the answer is no…hasn't been back.….but anyone who disagrees with her is a troll….I thought a troll was someone that dropped a bomb like this in the forums and didn't come back…or did come back sometimes just to flame bait...
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mmxloiapfq1s1k3jho1_500.gif

Glazed?? LIke donuts? Those are healthy right? I mean.....no one can dispute that, right???

Donuts will resign you to an unhealthy life, and I urge you to eliminate or minimize their consumption.

May I introduce you to a healthy alternative? Glazed Yeast Rings:

yeasters_zps74ad3720.png

I am led to believe that these healthy glazed yeast rings come in all sorts of flavors and shapes, but this is the only handy image I have handy.