The cold hard truth about Chipotle Burrito Bowls

Options
123457»

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the original post was at all bashing restaurant goers or even implying that restuarants are required to think of the consumer when designing menus or portioning servings. I took it as a very "buyer beware" type of post. I thought of it as merely providing information and trying to raise awareness about the accuracy of calorie counting and relying on pre-supplied information.

It might be hard to imagine, but some people are new to this whole losing weight and calorie counting thing. Isn't the point of these forums to spread/discuss information and ideas while supporting one another? Someone learned something new and we're going to shame or insult them for that because it wasn't 100% accurate or should've been something they already knew just because you did?

I don't think anyone here is really attacking the OP. People are arguing against comments here complaining about Chipotle is being irresponsible, lying, etc., which isn't really the case.

Buyer beware is a good thing. It's important to know that restaurant menus are just estimations so that you can make good decisions. Human error happens and it can't be avoided. Chipotle's business model is fresh and fast, so things are not coming pre-measured or pre-packaged, nor should they. So, they do the best they can in accordance with regulation.

What I can't abide by though is the "Chipotle is lying to us" and the "Chipotle is not socially responsible" and "I can't eat there anymore because all my meals are going to be inflated and there's nothing I can do about it" rhetoric. That's just B.S. You are very much in control when you order at Chipotle.

Ultimately, it is not Chipotle's responsibility to count calories for us. It's our responsibility to learn about food and make good decisions on our own. A good rule of thumb is, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is. A portion of rice is about a half cup. One spoonful. If they are using two spoonfuls, or a hefty spoonful, then it's up to the consumer to say something instead of eating it anyway and the blaming the restaurant.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Is there like a activist group for this or something. I thought this looked familiar...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1409866-chipotle-is-giving-us-too-much-food
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    That sounds like common sense. Pffft. Nobody here is interested in common sense.
    [/quote]

QFT.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always count burrito bowls as the calories they say they are... But only for half! I think they underestimate by a lot. Seriously, that much food cannot be only 600 calories. All that rice and beans and avocado has to be at least 1000 calories, and I would rather over count than under count any day.

Not necessarily, I mean I can make a huge burrito bowl at home with rice and beans for 600 calories. I've only eaten at Chipotle once but it didn't seem that much more food.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I went to Moe's Southwest Grill on Friday, and the workers were making an effort to serve level scoops of the various ingredients.

Now you just have to worry about the free chips (or not depending on your goals).
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    If you think it's too much food, just eat some of it and save the rest or give it to a homeless person if you are not into leftovers.