Over 40s - What do you do to stay in shape?

Options

Replies

• p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    54 years old. 45 minutes elliptical/ 4 days a week. 1 hour cross training/ 5 days a week. Recently started with a sports nutritionist. It's all working, better shape now than in high school.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Am 72. Have a touch of arthritis and trick back (who doesn't by now) Currently do resistance (bow-flex) 45 min 2-3 time a week and yoga 35-40 min (don't count end rest) 2-3 times a week. Works so have a total of 4-5 times a week. Today mowed the yard on riding mower for 90 min and worked in the garden 90 min so that was it. Plan is to add minutes and then at least one more session per week in the next month or two.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I lift weights, I do some cardio and I kickbox. I also will do sports (football, softball) with men my age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I also will do sports (football, softball) with men my age.

Don't think anyone would have thought you'd take on a bunch of 5 year olds. That'd just be unfair. :D

(Mind you, I did play dodgeball with 15 or 16 six year olds yesterday at a party.)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight this year. I'm nearly 60kg now, which is my goal. I did it without exercise. Just recently i bought a pedometer. I am trying to walk about 1000 steps a day. I do it in the process of chores and daily living. I want to try doing the HIIT 3minutes a la michael mosley but may not get around to it. That would be for cardiac fitness.

As to the rest, its just diet. I am happy to be so much more productive with my time than spending an hour a day or so on just fitness.

If i found a sport i liked, i'd consider it. Actually i have booked in for some tennis but i am not sure if that will come off.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just keep moving, trying to do better every day than the day before.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhOK3eUeqk
  • JohnH71
    JohnH71 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Mon - Weds - Fri are gym days, usually for about 70 mins of cardio (35 mins steady state, 35 mins intervals) and between 30 - 60 mins of lifting.

Tues and Thurs are either running or cycling days, plus a long ride one weekend day (usually Sunday), unless I'm on call, then I try and squeeze a run in, as I can a quick 5K in and still be back in time to respond to any calls.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    cycle to work and home 40 mile round trip,when the great British weather allows.average 200 miles a week.the hardest part is getting out of bed in the morning at 5 30,but its all worth it.join in its great
  • CelticBoxingGuy
    Options
    Boxing, great workout and lots of my mid life crisis angst gets released as well ;)

Routine breaks down to 60 minutes of cardio, 30 Calisthenics, 15 Strength Conditioning (bags) and 15 Sparring (Cardio again)
    I commute so I walk between bus routes to and from and this is like a cooldown afterward
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Weights 4x a week
    Run 7-10km twice a week
    Use this place to count calories. The kitchen is as important as the gym!
  • NoMouseNoMore
    NoMouseNoMore Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll be 43 in a few more weeks. I strength train three times a week for 45-60 minutes, intervals twice weekly for 20 minutes, and daily 15-20 minute walks too. Occasionally, I do yoga for 20-30 minutes.
  • schulersam
    schulersam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    55 year old female.
    Weight training 2X a week, Cardio kickboxing 2X then whatever is going on. Anyone tried Hashing? Fun run through the bush. Sometimes hike, swim, cross country ski, curl, The weekend is for fun sports-social activities
  • Joseph_Mauer
    Joseph_Mauer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bike, going to do some strength training when winter gets here.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Strength training 3X week
    Light cardio 3X week
    Rest day once a week
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 yr old

-I do Stronglifts 3x a week
    - during the autumn, winter & early spring, I play field hockey (which means I train for 2 hours 1x/wk & game day we're on the pitch for about 90 minutes/wk), I also either do a short run 2x week or do HIIT.
    - in the autumn, I coach field hockey
    - in the summer, I play softball & run a bit more
    - I walk all over (yay for living in England) instead of driving as much as I can
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    59 yrs old and swim and do acquagym 3 or 4 times a week for an hour or more. I love it. I live in Rome, Italy and on the weekends my husband and I walk for hours---remember the city is built on 7 hills and sometimes we hit all of them. :smile:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    56.... Weights twice a week, run 45-50 miles per week
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Soon to be 42...I lift 3-4x a week and do HIIT/Cardio 3-4x a week.

It's more than I did in my 20's and 30's....:blushing:
  • nosekids8840
    nosekids8840 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I run several times a week, teach karate class twice a week (2 hours each night), will resume training for my next belt as well, and I belly dance
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1) Running 2-3 times a week
    2) approx 20-30 min elliptical 5 times a week (on breaks at work gym)
    3) 15 min dog walk daily
    4) tennis 2-3 times a week