Over 40s - What do you do to stay in shape?

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I cycle 3/4 hours a week
    I run 2/3 5k per week
    I swim 2 per week.

Mostly I like to strength train 2/3 times per week.

Sometimes there are weeks when I do 2 or 3 of those disciplines, I try and get the balance of these activities GIVING me strength and energy rather than TAKING my strength and energy. I'm 43, and am fitter stronger and leaner than since I was 12 years old. I feel young most of the time, unless I'm really stressed and overtrained, then I feel bloody old!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 47. Was in a car accident in January and can't do a whole lot anymore, so I swim! 5-6 days a week I get in the pool and move for at least 45 minutes. Great for the body & great for the mind! Good Luck!

I love your attitude! Get well soon!
  • valissa
    Options
    Congrats on reaching and maintaining your goal weight! I have lost 56 lbs and I am 18 lbs away from my goal weight. I try to do 60-90 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week, mostly elliptical, alternating positions for different muscles and adding weights off and on;, some swimming, walking, and yardwork .You are not lazy. Working out 4 days a week is great,. I agree with comments above regarding strength training This is something I need to practice more of and also adding more variety to workouts. Looking forward to reaching my goal weight and maintaining it.:
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am 46. I do a combo of cardio/strength/flexibility training 6 days per week. I'm big on HIIT so I don't spend hours working out each day but I am making the most of my 25-40 minutes. I also continue to log and eat responsibly. It took me a year to lose 70+ pounds and I have now kept it off for 2.5 years.
  • onelovejenn
    Options
    "only do 40 mins Cardio about 4 times a week."

Only?

That's pretty good if you ask me. Certainly way better than the average person.
    This exactly! I do anywhere from 30 to 35 minutes of cardio 5 to 6 days a week and it kicks my butt. As soon as my timer reaches 30 I always want to stop!
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well I'm over 50, actually 55.5 right now.

I do kettlebells 5-7 days a week usually swings, just finished my first 10K swing month in August and then I try to get onto the mats for BJJ at least once or twice a week.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Weights/strength training 3x week (machines, freeweights, and bodyweight/Total Gym)
    cardio 2x week - either circuit trng. or brisk hill walking.
    I get at least 13,000 steps a day in on my non-weight days. Most days I get 15-17,000 steps.
    My weekends are considered rest days, but always still get at least 10,000 steps in.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    42 yo and I do a variation of DVDs including ballet beautiful, physique57 and Pilates, "powerhouse" with weight training and no formal cardio due to R knee surgery and zero results in the past.
  • StillwaterLady
    StillwaterLady Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This seems like an inspiring group! I am looking for some support as I diet to get rid of some weight - exercise isn't enough! Anyone want to join me?
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    4 sessions approx 20 mins each of HIIT mainly full body/functional movements + 1-2 sessions cardio (static bike/row machine). Precede each session with 5-10 mins warm up & finish with similar cool down. Cardio 18-25mins max again adding similar warm up & cool down time. Work out 5-6 days weekly sometimes less depending on intrusions/alternative activities (on fine days) or just wanting a day off. (NB. 3-4 days HIIT & 1-2 days Cardio)
    5'10" tall. 168lbs weight. Chest 42" Waist 34". Resting Pulse mid 40's. Blood pressure 130/70 (when last taken).
    Vegetarian past 40 years. Low carb/high fat eater. Supplements Multivitamin/Magnesium/Co-enzyme CQ10/Vit. B12/Vit. D3.
    Oh, & finally 70 years old!
    Hope it helps.
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi (again0
    Forgot to add that I started just over 4 years back at close to 200lbs weight. Waist heading towards 40". Rising blood pressure and slowing down. Its been a long term approach of small changes in diet/exercise to develop habits for good health that are sustainable - more a marathon than a sprint.
    Also still requires discipline to maintain the good habits, it is so easy to slip....

Wish you all well in your own efforts!.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I've changed my routine about a million times since I started exercising almost 2 years ago. Back then it was strictly running. Then I added 30 Day Shred, then Fitness Blender videos and circuit training apps. Today here's my routine:

M: upper body strength
    T: lower body strength
    W: 45 minute run
    Th: upper body strength
    F: lower body strength
    Sa: run for however long I feel like
    Monday - Thursday: lunchtime walk of about 45 minutes

My strength training is 100% bodyweight (calisthenics) and on days when I know I won't have time or weather for a lunchtime walk I add about 15 minutes of HIIT circuits using whatever app I feel like for that day.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    42 here.....:)

The last year or so I've really focused on building muscle over anything else, and it's made all the difference for me in body composition.

A typical week for me looks like:

M - Leg day 60 minutes (could be all lifting, or if my old lady knee is acting up then will finish the last 15 min with sprints or HIIT)
    T - Chest and Triceps 60 min
    W - Kickboxing, 5km run or some other sort of cardio I enjoy.
    Th - Back and Biceps 60 min
    F - Shoulders and Glutes or Abs60 min (my shoulders are a weak area and need more time than others)
    S - Usually just some easy or relaxed cardio to move and stretch out. I'm pretty sore by the weekend. Walking, going to the park with my daughter, whatever gets us up and out of the house.
    Sunday - rest day :)

I try to switch it up when I can, like going to open jumping at the trampoline place, rollerblading, ice skating in winter, etc.

Now....if I could just get my diet under control!! :) lol
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I'm 65.....I've never been to a gym. I stay in shape doing farm work. Yesterday it was lifting 85 bales of hay off the field and carrying them to the hay trailer and loading them, helping my husband stack them some of the time. Today, it was unloading the same 85 bales off the trailer, so we can use the trailer later..... along with cleaning stalls, hauling manure and sawdust, feeding and watering the horses and the ducks, and working in the garden ( winding down now). In winter I use my elliptical machine.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Swim...8 miles a week.
    Bike....60 miles a week
    Run...15 miles a week
    Total gym resistance training 3 times a week.

That'll do it.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am 48. I do rebounding (mini-trampoline) and kettle bells. I also hop on the treadmill or walk outside as much as I can. ~Skye:flowerforyou:
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    I ride and race.
  • hbgirl85
    Options
    I'm 47. I do cardio 45-60 minutes, 5-6 days out of the week, with 2-3 days of weight training. I also do deep water aerobics for 45-60 minutes once a week. Cardio includes riding my road bke, running outside or on the treadmill, elliptical trainer. I also do workout DVDs-Jillian Michaels, Kelly Coffey-Myer, P90X, etc.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and stay fit jogging for 3 -5 miles x 5 days/ week and strength training 3 x 20 mins per week
    I enjoy it :) and it keeps me in good shape.
    When I began my mfp journey in May 2012 I did very little, just the odd walk.
    Its about finding an activity you love to do then you'll not feel you have to force yourself to do it :)
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Weights 4 times a week, cardio twice. Got to actually GET in shape first befire I think about staying there!