SWa Walking group - January Walk

Options

Replies

• TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say HI!!!

Just walked around the mall today 2.6 miles, leisurely. I was actually taking today for a day of rest. I've been sore 2 days in a row, So tomorrow I must get through it and get my Beach walk in. Today was to cold any how :ohwell:
    Night Night. I can feel another early night of sleep coming on. :yawn:

Hope everyone had a wonderful day & Hopefully tomorrow will even be better :flowerforyou:
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    It's Friday! Yippeee! Seems like I live for Fridays these days! :happy:

I finally got my butt in gear and did the 2 mile big burn. It's suppose to be great weather here in Georgia this weekend. Hope you guys up North are not too snowed in. Brrr! I'm so looking forward to a little sunshine. Maybe I'll get to do a little thrift store shopping tomorrow, I'm still looking for a step bench and I hate to buy a new one when I know there will be lots of them at the yard sales in the spring.

I've got to get caught up on everyone's posts and see what I've missed!

Enjoy your weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Friday is here.

Almost done with January! Wow! Just about to my goal. I don't know about lasting another 2 months without walking outside much. We have a ton of snow which means tons of mud everywhere when it melts. Trying to change my workouts everyday to stay motivated.

Seriously now, I have .4 of a pound to my goal. The scale has been playing games with me lately. When I workout Im really working hard! Ive been fighting to lose this last pound for 3 weeks! So frustrating!

Here is what I think about the Walk Across America. Maybe we should have did it as a group. Think that would have made a difference? I don't know how many times I've read that paragraph above our names...lol and I still don't understand it. Then I tried to go to the add/edit people tab to see if I could find the other Teresa and replace it. Dumb thing wouldn't even go to that screen. I gave up!

Well gonna go take a hot bath and get ready to watch Fringe. Love that show!!
    Good Night.:smile:
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I just noticed this group and started reading the posts. I would love to join your group. Walking is the one exercise i really do enjoy, but I live in PA and its been so cold and snowy everyday that's been my excuse not to venture out, but I think following this thread would be very motivating. I like to walk outside and I live on a pretty step hillside so that is a good work out. Which walking DVD's are the best?
  • izzy214
    izzy214 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When Hippocrates said that "walking is a man's best medicine," he didn't realize how true that statement really was. New benefits of walking are discovered daily.

Hi everyone my name is Izzy I am 54 over weight and in NEED of a great support group. I am starting a walking program Sunday. My doctor has recommended it as the best form of exercise for me. I have a bad knee(bone on bone) it pops and cracks and swell. I am hoping that walking will strengthen my knee and my spirit. I have 50 to 60lbs. to lose and I plan to walk it off with a life style change...SOOOO count me in.:flowerforyou:
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Hi mmnichol,
    There are some really nice DVD's for exercise available right now. The Leslie Sansone series is a good one. She starts at the beginner level and works up. I have her Brisk Walk (2 miles) and her 5 Mile, Walk It Off and Tone It Up. I like the 5 mile one a lot because I can choose to walk all 5 miles or less depending on time and it really gets my heart rate up there. She also included a toning and slimming workout within it. In addition, she includes arm exercises to work biceps and triceps as you walk, along with squatting for lower body. She gives mile markers throughout the workout so you know how far you've gone and can choose to stop at a certain point. The 5 mile workout uses a resistance band as part of the workout. Comes with the DVD supposedly but mine was missing. I used 2 pound weights until I bought my own bands. She has done exercise routines for WW and Jenny Craig. I bought her DVD's at Target. Probably can find them at Walmart or whatever you have where you live. Good luck!:smile:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Are most of you using a heart rate monitor? I don't have one but have thought about getting one. If so, what brand or type do you like? Jenny
  • Lesliet05
    Lesliet05 Posts: 148
    Options
    jenny I don't use one thought about getting one but still haven't.

Welcome mmnichol Leslie has alot of DVD's out there and some are on youtube, can't remember who has the list but they are great for you to figure out which ones you like best.

Got 5 miles in today
  • sandara
    Options
    Welcome to the group MMnichol and Izzy! Glad to have you with us. Our January walk is almost over but we'll be starting up for February too. So just start walking! :happy:

Jenny, I've never used a heart rate monitor. I just never could make myself spend the money and I've done pretty good without one all this time so I just don't see the need now for me. I do use a pedometer from time to time to track miles when I'm out doing something that requires a lot of walking. Mine is just a cheap one that I found at a yard sale but it works better than some I bought at stores. I like this one because it has a cover that snaps shut and the clip is good so it doesn't fall off easily. I've lost a couple because of poor clips.

Happy Saturday everyone. I'm off to do a little thrift store scavenging and maybe hit the outlet malls to see if they have any after christmas markdowns left. :flowerforyou:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Well, after about 10 minutes of sun it started pouring. :angry: No walk outside AND no walk inside. I took care of the baby all day so his parents could get some sleep. I wonder how many calories I burned picking him up, getting him out of things, etc., etc., etc.! :tongue: Babies are for young people!
    I sure hope they get his new crib soon--and the play yard thing they are looking at, too! He is into everything and is also FAST!
    I hope I can get some walking videos done today. It's raining again so it will be inside.

Marie--I :heart: Fringe, too! I never miss it and sometimes I will watch it again online if I have the time! I am so sad it is ending!:cry:

Welcome to the group, mmnichol. :flowerforyou: There are a lot of good walking DVDs out there! I mostly do Leslie Sansone's videos but I also have the BL Power Walk and a Chris Freytag video (she's a trainer with exercisetv.tv). I understand that if you search for them at collegevideo.com you can watch a preview. (Of course, you don't have to buy them there if you don't want to!)

Izzy--Welcome to you, too!:flowerforyou: I also have about 50 pounds to lose. (I know my ticker says 40--I guess I'll change it for the new month.:ohwell:

I don't use a HRM, either, Jenny. I think about getting one but just cannot justify spending the money (for a good one) right now!

Well, I'd better get moving. Have a good day, everyone!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. The cost of a monitor has prohibited me because I don't know if I would really like using one and I don't want to waste $60. I have a couple of pedometers but they tend to fall off and after awhile don't accurately record my steps and it frustrates me when I know I've gone further than it says. For now I'll just let my body guide me. Feeling so much better since I started this journey and that is the best motivation! On the upswing from being sick with the flue. Hope to get a couple of miles walked before the end of the weekend to get me back on track with exercise. Have some miles to make up...
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!! Welcome All New comers :flowerforyou:

JENNY---- I bought A HRM that is also a pedometer (WATCH), I am so flustrated with it, I go back to using my plain pedometer watch I bought a month or two before. Both are made from SPORTLINE. I never figured out how to really program the HR correctly. Im waiting to run into someone that knows :frown: I paid roughly 55 for the plain pedometer & only 38 at walmart for the HR & Pedometer.

SANDY---- Its been a very long time since I shopped at the thrift shops. I definately need to go back. I bought my office desk there, But I don't have the patience like I once did to go through the clothes. If they went by size, Id LIKE. But are stores usually go by colors of clothes. Thats what really discourages me.

MARIE----I gave up on WALK ACROSS AMERICA, we should have started a group thing BUT :huh: we didn't.

WALKED 5.12 miles today and then tonight I need to do a job ( clean an office).
    I now need to lose 53 pounds

I took a nap today & I feel I can go back to sleep UGH / My body is soooo sore I feel like I went through the washing machine :frown:
    I had a lot of catching up to do reading the message boards ( Good thing, where all staying commited) :bigsmile:
  • viggie
    viggie Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Since I've hit my goal I haven't been walking. Not a good idea:noway: I just did 2 miles and I feel like I haven't walked before! Now I know that I will have to up my goal for next month and walk everyday even if it's just one mile. Welcome to all the new walkers!
  • tracyts
    tracyts Posts: 113
    Options
    Happy Saturday all and welcome to the new folksl. I'm 50% for my weekend posting resolution - yea me :laugh:
    I did 5 Fat Burning Miles today and it's been awhile since I did the whole dvd - phew! It feels good to have made it through the whole thing though.

Jenny, I've got a Suunto HRM. It's pretty simple to use and I love it. It was also half the price of those really expensive Polar ones and it was also on sale so I paid about $35 for it. I love it, but the chest strap that you have to wear does take getting used to but you do get used to it.

So on to menu planning for next week so I can spend too much time at WalMart grocery shopping tomorrow - :sad:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Home from work, long day today, just a quick two miles and a weight workout. Now I am ready for dinner, who's cooking.
    Oh yes that would be me. :huh:

Welcome to our new members. :drinker: The more the merrier, we are all walking the same road.

I do use a heart monitor, it seems pretty accurate. I have compared it to more expensive ones and they read within two calories of each other at the end of a long workout. It is made by Pro Form, the chest strap does not bother me at all. I have a cold right now and after this workout it moved my fit level back one step. :noway: How does it know?:noway:

Well time for that supper, steamed veggies, baked sweet potato, and a small cut sirloin.

Nit all, Alice
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the HRM's. I may look into it a little more as I continue to stick with my program. The flu is gone and I did 3 brisk miles with Leslie Sansone today. It was hard after being sedentary since last Wednesday but it felt really good after I was done. I have a feeling Zumba will be harder than usual tomorrow but I'm ready!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Just did a quick mile today. HRMs are handy but not essential, I use mine more to time my workout and watch my heart rate, sometimes I push the limits.
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!

The weekends over :sad: . Not looking forward to work tomorrow (second time going into the new job, UGH!!! )

I walked my butt off today, It felt like I walked around the city :bigsmile: . I put in 7 miles !!!! I think I plan on walking every day instead of doing the treadmill / Dance routine. I think the dancing has made the body feel sore. So I'll give the dancing a rest for awhile. The last time I danced I was wearing 4 lb ankle weights & 4 pound arm weights, Kicking & swinging my arms :embarassed: . could you imagine how crazy that must of looked (LOL)

Hope you all have a GREAT week!!!!!!!
  • sandara
    Options
    Hi Everybody! I feel like I've been slacking this weekend even though I've been pretty busy and active. I had my post all typed out last nite and was ready to hit the enter key when my kitty again decided to take over for me. She apparently hit the back or escape key and my whole post was gone! :sad: So I just gave up and went to bed.

My sis and I walked around the outlet malls for about 4 hours yesterday. I couldn't believe how long we stayed (didn't even buy anything but some candle tarts) and of course I forgot to put on my pedometer so I just counted the time and not miles for yesterday. I really intended to do a Leslie walk today but after grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking and laundry I"m beat.

I'll be posting the February walk link sometime tomorrow evening. I'm not too worried about Valentine's day as my husband knows candy is NOT acceptable! My birthday is also in February and they always do a cake at work! :sad: I really wish they would come up with something a little different. I've just about got my family trained to forget the cake so at least that's a plus.

Everybody be thinking about your Feb goals. I really hate to go lower than 50 but I would like to have a little more time for weights too?

Where has my weekend gone! :sad: If you find it please send it back to me!
  • izzy214
    izzy214 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Good weekend. I shopped for this weeks meals and bought a new L.S walking DVD. It was beautiful here today and I got out and took a nice walk. I will start using my new LS DVD Monday am. and walking outside in the evening. It fells great to get back on track.