Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - January Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Very quick update - This thread is crazy and cannot respond ATM to everyone.

Ran 3.1miles today trying to beat my race time (29:57)... came in a few seconds short at 30:02 but I was still happy with it. I ran through straight without walking going from 6.0-6.2-6.5mph in intervals. It felt great and I was sweating like crazy. With warmup and cooldown it was 3.75 miles exactly and 511 mega calories burned. Then I did the arc trainer for a while, because I'm a lunatic. 140 more calories. Woot! :drinker:

Heading out for the night but I'll catch up with you all when I get home, somewhat late.
    Keep up all the hard work everyone! :heart:
  • seripha
    seripha Posts: 92
    Options
    Meag - You'll get down to 25 minutes in no time. FOR REALS. Have you ever seen a running coach to check out your stride, etc? It may help you drop time and keep you from getting any injuries. I only mention the knee stuff because I know you plan to do a lot of running over the next few months and knee and joint injuries are common with runners.
  • lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on something. I changed my calories to losing 1.5 pounds a week, that gives me 1210 calories for the day which has been a struggle the two days I have done it. I really want to lose this weight, and with the amount of cardio and workouts I do I should be able to eat my exercise calories and be done with it... Any thoughts everyone?

Also I am feeling dizzy again today, I had oatmeal this morning because I knew I had a big workout for today and I have been hitting the workouts hard the last few days. I wish I knew how to get rid of this ;(
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    this is going crazy fast!!! so i will have to make it quick!!

Welcome to all of the newbies joining the group!! its a great group and we are glad to have you!

To everyone who has posted their goals fro Jan...they are awesome!!! I have a feeling Jan is gonna be a great month for everyone!

Roo-congrats on feeling skinny and being at your lowest adult weight ever!! that is an awesome feeling!!

Lou-that game is so awesome...and it would mmost definately be a great party game for sure!!!

QOTD1-if i am gonna snack i want it to be tasty and take care of my cravings so i either go for baked cheetos if i want something salty or i go for a skinny cow ice cream if i want something sweet!

QOTD2-as far as workout music...I usually do wii or turbo jam and listen to whatever music is on there!! lately MJ or latino music!!

AFM-i have gotten in all of my water everyday so far, have done 1 of 3 on my workouts so far and my first Jan WI is tomorrow!!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: This post is going to be ridiculously long :noway:

Melissa - My pork was the easiest meat dish ever. I literally just trimmed it, then pan-seared it in about 2 tsp of olive oil on medium-high (rotating it to sear all sides), placed it on a baking dish and basted it with a few Tbsp of our favourite BBQ sauce (80 cals per 2 Tbsp, so I used about 1 Tbsp per serving total) and put it in a 400F oven for 10 mins, turned it and re-basted and cooked for another 8 mins or so. Let it rest a few mins and it was perfect. Very tender and juicy. Incredibly easy. Tenderloin requires so little work and always comes out tasting incredible... So when it's on sale, we always stock up! I think we got this 1lb tenderloin for about $3.50CA - Cheap dinner, that's for sure!

Here is the link to print the thai bulgar spinach salad:

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/under-300-calorie-dinner/healthified-vegetarian-thai-salad-with-peanut-dressing.aspx

I have found quite a few recipes from eatbetteramerica.com...
  • wardiemelissa
    Options
    I am 100% pro fruit and pro berries. My favourite snack is a smoothie - just milk and frozen berries, sometimes with a dollop of 0% fat plain yogurt to thicken it up a bit. Fruits and berries provide so many essential nutrients and many of them are high in anti-oxidants and other cancer fighting things. Pomegranite and blueberries are like the uber fruits/berries.

I have to say though I had to turn off the sugar counter on MFP just because of how much fruit and berries I eat. There's a lot of natural sugars in them and MFP doesn't discrimitate between bad sugars (in candies and in refined sugar) and natural sugars found in fruit and vegetables. I'd often have days were I was WAY over my sugar limit because I had an apple and a banana, but no dessert type foods. It's not nice to have that -xx number in red staring at you angrily from your screen. So I just turned it off - helps me eat better.

I totally agree!!! I love fruit too-so do my girls...I've had to start buying frozen to cut down on the cost because we go through SO much of it...BUT it tastes SO good!!! Plus I can't blame my girls for choosing healthy snacks :happy:
  • wardiemelissa
    Options

AFM - I now am weighing in at 128.2! My lowest ever as an adult. I'm feeling pretty good about that. :-) I hope the rest of January continues to go this way!

CONGRATS!!! What a great feeling and accomplishment!!!

Melissa
  • wardiemelissa
    Options
    Have to get in a quick one...getting the stink eye from the hubby to get off the computer!!! Day 2 of my 1/2 marathon training is done! 3.11 miles in 28:09 seconds!!!! Super excited!!!

Have a great night and see ya all in the morning!

Melissa
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    @ Meag, I found a bag of mixed frozen stir fry veggies that I really like sticking in the oven: sugar snap peas, carrots, onions and mushrooms. Also all your cooking sounds fabulous. The apple muffin tops and coconut/blueberry oats sound so creative! And nice burn today.

@Ngoat, WTG! knocking out that turbo jam dvd after working a double. Your water challenge sounds like a positive thing to concentrate on - hope you succeeded!

@Roo, LOVE that skinny feeling! That's so awesome about your lowest adult weight - congrats!

@Tai, So sorry to hear about the family issues, especially over the holidays - but awesome job getting back on the wagon!

QOTD (music) - I really like Dragonforce on my playlist when I'm working out - it's just so epic sounding and it makes me feel epic too :laugh:
    QOTD (movie) - my last movie was Dead Poet's Society - it was playing on tv. Love that movie. Carpe diem!

AFM - made some stew last night and i'm loving the leftovers!

~ Meredith
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!! Wish you all a very happy, healthy & prosperous new year!!

I've been on this site everyday but have either had no time or was too tired & lazy to completely log calories and read through all posts. Same is the case today but I hope to be back in action and catch up with all of you by the end of this week.

My last month’s goals were:
    (1) Start with week 3 of C25K. From week 4 onwards, do each week twice. (2) Cook twice a week, (3) Have a serving of fruit everyday, (4) Do squats and crunches thrice a week, (5) Lose 5.5 lbs to reach 145lbs.
    I didn’t completely meet my last month’s goals but I did decently – on track with C25k; cooked at least once a week and ended up cooking more in the last 1 week as we had guests over a couple of times; missed 2-3 days of squats & crunches. And, as for my weight, I weighed my goal weight of 145lb on Dec 30 but weighed 146.5lbs on Jan 3rd :( That could also be because of TOM. We shall wait and see.

Anyway, my goals for January are almost the same:
    (1) Continue with C25K, (2) Cook twice a week, (3) Have a serving of fruit everyday, (4) Do strength training thrice a week, (5) Reach 142lbs by the end of Jan.

JANUARY LIST

skiptomylou32--scale goal: 125, non-scale goal: stop waiting till tomorrow, making excuses, and being complacent with my fitness goals
    Lauratx22-to lose 7 pounds! Weighing 163!
    Roobean33 - cardio 5X/week, lifting 3X/week, try out CrossFit, lose 2lbs, H20 guzzle, take measurements.
    kvr414- 1 hr cardio 3x a week, try 3 new recipes, 12 cups water/day, lose 6 lbs.
    meagalayne- curb late-night snacking and emotional eating, limit carbohydrate consumption after 4pm and experiment with new Low-GI recipes once a week, maintain under 130lbs, and complete first 4 weeks of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training (Novice)
    emmarie1630- lose 4 pounds, 4x a week workout, use wii fitness games a ton, MORE WATER!
    wardiemelissa-continue to maintain between 120-125lbs; plan healthy family meals at least 5 nights a week; begin training for half marathon (just need to find one in May or June)
    tjradd73-lose 8lbs, 80oz H20 per day, and cardio 3x per week.
    Mike (CaptainJim) lose 5-8 lbs, 3x (30-60 min) cardio per week, fit into size 32 jeans (I'm 34's right now)
    Finncmh- see a loss on the scale, continue strength training 2x's a week and update the routine at the end of Jan, continue running training- increase to 5 min running intervals, 1 new healthy recipe a week, and get back in to yoga/stretching routine in the am and/or pm
    briar_rose: lose 5 pounds, exercise 3x/week, no potato chips
    mkingraham: lose 15 pounds by Feb 1., exercise 5/6 x a week with 3/4 days of strength training, eat breakfast everyday (a healthy one), two servings of fruit a day.
    GuamGrly (Bethany) - DO NOT focus on the scale. Focus on changing my lifestyle by incorporating fruits and vegetables in my diet more, drinking my water everyday, planning my meals, working out 120 minutes per week, and getting back to C25k traning.
    LostAlyKat (Aly) : Be under 170lbs for the end of the month. Do weight lifting or strength 3 times a week, be active in some way every day. Get back into doing Yoga do a class at least 1 time this month. Write down my feelings more often.
    Stuartme123: JanSW = 156. Check-in with this thread 3-4x/week, 30 min of cardio 3x a week, Restart and keep up with 100 push-up challenge and C25K, Keep unhealthy snacking to under 200 calories/day, Add veggies that wouldn't normally be there to at least one meal a day, Try one new healthy recipe a week, Lose 1lb a week for a total of 4lbs.
    seripha - exercise 5x a week for at least 30 minutes each. Try to eat at least 1 cup of dark green food every day and only 1 sweet thing per day. :)
    miss_amy: to lose 8lbs (38 total lbs), work out 5x a week for an hour & log EVERYTHING!
    Ngoat (nancy): Lose 5lbs, Drink more water, and eat healthier dinners!
    rai8759: lose at least 4 lbs (164 by 1/31/11); work out 3x a week idevelop a consistent weight training regiment and work my way up to 2x a week weight training; drink 8-10 cups of water per day; eat more veggies; track everything in my food diary!!
    Dteg: Scale to lose 5 LBs making under 140 for the first time in 5 years!!!! non scale: to eat more fresh food, eat in more often not going out as much anymore, excerise three times a week
    Allie7383- be at or under 155, eat more fruits/veggies, and drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
    katecampbell03- Lose 5lbs this month and make time to fit in a work-out before/during/after work
    pags221 - weigh 1.31.11 @ 123lbs / make it to the gym 21 days this month
    Allislefttogain - Stay below 120; run 70 miles; 64 ounces of (straight!) water daily; complete weeks 2-4 of Turbo Fire; try kale & brussel sprouts; strength train 3x a week
    tai_88 - drink at least 8 cups of water a day. I must drink at least 4 cups before i can have tea or my sprite zero; stop mindless/emotional eating; work out at least 4 times a week; log every day; continue the push up challenge; lose 4 lbs.
    spellbinder25 - (1) Continue with C25K, (2) Cook twice a week, (3) Have a serving of fruit everyday, (4) Do strength training thrice a week, (5) Reach 142lbs by the end of Jan.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    QOTD: I couldn't pick-- I <3 my tunes!!!! Heres a link to a screen shot of my current iTunes list:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bydosh5tyEi5MmMwYWI3NmItNGFlYS00NzExLTk5NzYtNjVkYjdhNzIwZTYw&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Just click 'open'
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    great run Melissa and great goals spellbinder!!!
  • Roobean33
    Roobean33 Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you all for your congrats: feels good to have the scale moving in the right direction for once. :love:

Guam - Way to stomp the emotional eating today! That is not a small feat. I have to say, that is one of my major weaknesses too.
    Melissa & Meag - great run ladies, you are both excellent athletes!
    Melissa - Did you teach your girls about nutrition or do they just follow your lead?
    Tai - Sorry to hear about your holidays. I hope WW with your mom and sister brings you all closer!
    Spellbinder - Great goals!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Pshhhttt So much stuff to reply to! Ladies - YOU ROCK! :bigsmile:

ngoat - Love your water challenge for yourself - wish I could do the same! Sounds like a great way to get your water in :smile:

seripha - I turned off the sugar counter ages ago as well... Far too much fruit in my diet to bother with it. I know I eat mostly healthy, good natural foods and so natural sugars are fine by me. I have "bigger fish to fry" as they say - Not that I would fry fish anymore, of course :wink: Not sure about 25 mins... I have never been able to run much faster than a 10:00 pace, over any distance. It's like my legs just won't/can't do it. I am definitely going to step up my speed training this month and see what happens, but for the most part I run between 10:00 and 10:30 at any given distance. Even my 10 mile was a steady 10:25... Any faster and I feel like I am killing myself. Even today's 3.1 mile my HR was between 165 and 180 the entire run, basically. Have not seen a running coach... Wouldn't even know where to find one. But I mostly took up running because it's free, so I am not sure if I want to be paying someone for advice on running. I have received quite a few comments/compliments on my stride and gait while running and so I imagine I am doing things alright. So far I think my body aches have been pretty normal :huh: For a runner, of course! I'll be cautious and see what happens! Thanks for the req!

Roo - You kick soooo much *kitten* -- amazing loss and so wonderful about the "lowest adult weight"!! We are just 0.1lbs shy of one another. Care for another friendly challenge this month? :huh: I think I won Dec by about a day, but you have the edge going into Jan with such a huge loss. I'm verging on maintenance so this month is yours for the taking, girl :tongue:

Spellbinder - I love your goals, per usual! And great job staying consistent with C25K, cooking, and everything else. Keep it up! :happy:

Aly - Moderation is always a great practice. 3-5 servings of fruit per day works for me, but I balance it was around 5 or 6 servings of vegetables most days and a healthy assortment of lean proteins, dairy, nuts, oats, and other complex carbs. I guess I'd recommend 3-5 servings for someone that eats as much as I do :laugh: And as often! Frozen veggies are a great alternative and I'm glad you recommended them. Hope Rai takes up that suggestion! The Dualthon you signed up for looks AWESOME and I am mega jealous... Still trying to workout my race schedule for 2011 but I really wish I could cycle/swim so I could do some fun mixed-event races. Very, very cool!! I am sure you'll have a blast! Couldn't agree more though - love racing and SO addicted! :bigsmile: As for your cals - Definitely NET 1200 every day. 1210 seems rather low.... If you are really working out hard, I'd say to try and net around 1300-1400 at least. Your body needs it. That's just my $0.02 - take it or leave it!

Cait - Incredible losses, woman! You rock my socks :drinker: Such an inspiration! I love that all your hard work is paying off!! What a freaking machine you are -- Keep at it girl. The scale will follow. And you're going to be a fabulous and fit lookin' bride if I've ever known one! When's the wedding again?

pags - Welcome! :flowerforyou: Great goals - Hope you stay in touch with the thread!

Jilly - Love your goals, per usual! Joining the 1000 mile challenge for 2011 because I love the idea and I know I can do it, or die trying. Also really pumped to hear about your interview :happy: I know you owned it!

Tai - Glad to have you back :smile: I was in WW a few times during school and I found that with a busy schedule and a lot of other personal commitments on my plate, the structure and community REALLY helped. I didn't mind paying the extra weekly fees because it helped to keep me accountable. Whatever is right for you is what you should be doing - So there's definitely no need for justification! Keep at the gym, stay accountable with your mom and sis, and try to keep the boy involved. Using fitness and health to foster closer relationships is a great way to improve all parts of your life! You're going to be awesome this month! :happy:

Rai - Kick *kitten* loss this week, lady! Holiday weight is definitely a lot of sodium and other junk kicking around. Next week's WI will likely be a huge success for you too - Can't wait to see the results! :bigsmile:

Guam - Thai sounds so good - I am sure your kick-boxing class did a great job of working most of it off. Drink lots of water and you should be fine. Just try to stick to you cals for the rest of the week :smile: Curbing the emotional eating is a huge victory and I am so happy for you! I am working on that one as well, so it's nice to see someone else succeed with it. Great job girl :drinker:

Melissa - Thanks for the recipe and GREAT run today! Super super speedy! I'll catch up with you someday :tongue:

QOTD - I JUST got my music hook'd up on my phone and I just throw it on shuffle. I've got a few select discographies and some random albums - none of which is workout music. Radiohead, The Avett Brothers, Arcade Fire, Liz Phair, Iron & Wine, and Weezer, mostly. Not very good at getting me all revved up for running, but oh well! I'm working on it! hahah

OK wow that took a long, long time! haha
    AFM - Great dinner with Ty tonight. Tofu & veg stirfry with chick peas using PC General Tao stir-fry sauce. Turned out great. I wanted to make something from scratch but the time got the better of us and we used a few Tbsp of prepared sauce. Still turned out great and got the boy to eat tofu. Major win :happy:

I also managed to limit myself to ONE packet of sweetener all day. In haste, I decided yesterday that I would add that to my Jan goals. Limit of 1 sweetener per day, to use at my discretion. The result? Coffee doesn't taste as good and I am not craving it as much. Lame, because coffee is delicious and I used to always consider it a nice low-cal treat. But hopefully I'll get used to it this way and will be able to enjoy it without the added chemicals soon. Had loads of leftover cals today so I treated myself to some frozen yogurt for dessert -- Totally worth it!

Still not sure about the whole possible pregnancy scare. Still waiting patiently for my TOM to arrive. It's been 7 weeks so far. I think I am going to save and get a test soon enough.

Tomorrow - Push-ups are getting started again. No more putting it off. Then, Wed interval training (5 X 400m @ 6.5mph) + weights. Going to finish finding out about a GP and try to get myself an appt. And that's it! Oh and stay under my calories again! Definitely on the list of "to-dos" tomorrow :bigsmile:
    Sleep well, everyone!
    Meag :heart:
  • wardiemelissa
    Options
    Melissa - Did you teach your girls about nutrition or do they just follow your lead?

Both; When I have to take them to the grocery store with me I let them each pick out one fruit and one vegetable that they want to try. They also help pack their own lunches everyday and they get to pick out what goes in-always a fruit and veggie a snack; I have noticed a BIG improvement on how much they are eating for lunch and they actually take pride in the fact that THEY made their lunch-I try to do the same when I make dinner and bake-they are definitely more invested!!! Dessert in our house is usually fruit or fruit smoothies; we sometimes do "treats" like popcorn, jell-o, granola bars, yogurt, nuts...I can tell with my oldest that she really pays attention because she will talk about calories and why some food has more calories than others. I ALWAYS strive to show them how to be healthy and strong and avoid using terms like "fat".

I am very excited that they have taken an interest in leading healthy lives at an early age-I do let them eat some "sweets" but that is saved for "special" occasions!!!!

Melissa
  • wardiemelissa
    Options
    SUPER EXCITED!!!! Found 2 possible 1/2 marathons in April and both are close to home!!!! Going to tell hubby tonight so I can get the ok to register ASAP then there's NO turning back!!!

Melissa
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    WOW- Looks like everyone had a great Tuesday.

Melissa- Awesome job on your run! I am always really impressed by people who can push themselves to do things like run a 1/2 marathon. I am sure your hubby will ok your registration and that you will then kick some serious butt in April!

Meag- So close to your PR time, and I bet it felt awesome to do that and burn 511 calories!! I am working on just being able to run for 30 minutes straight with the C25K program and so far its tough but I know worth the effort!

Roo- Keep up the great work and everyday will feel like a skinny day.

I know I am missing a bunch of people, but everyone keep up the great work!

AFM- I did C25K week 3 day 2 today and it was tough. I did day 1 on Monday then spinning on Tuesday so I think my legs are still pretty tired, but I pushed myself through and I am glad that I did. Also did another round of upper body weights and boy are my arms sore- attempting to wash my hair after was interesting to say the least.

Tomorrow is another day of C25K training, even though they only say 3 times a week I am going to try and do it four to help with the transitions from week to week. I know some people repeat weeks and I will definitely have to look into that or doing 1 1/2 weeks or something to help gradually increase my running time without discouraging myself.

Gotta run and get back to work! Have a fabulous day!

Megan
  • CaptainJim157
    Options
    Hey girls,
    sorry I haven't been on the forum lately, I've been working & yesterday I just found out my aunt died :(
    So I've been quite busy :/
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Melissa - I am still looking to find a Half in the North-East in April - Let me know if you find anything that looks good!

Megan - LOL @ washing your hair. Oh god, I know that feeling well. Long, unruly curly hair here and very tough to wash with arms that feel like they are full of lead from lifting. I am so pathetic in the shower sometimes. It's quite the sight!

Sounds like you are making pretty sweet progress with your C25K. Try not to get discouraged if you are feeling tired/burned out. If you are doing additional exercise like spin class, weight lifting, etc your body is going to tire more quickly. C25K assumes a very low level of activity outside of, and prior to, the program and so if you are working hard every other day without time to recover, it could make your runs a bit more difficult. Stick with it and stretch out the weeks over 10 or 14 days if that is easier for you. I know that a LOT of people that are training for longer distances do this and only long-run once every 10 or 14 or even 21 days in order to fit in all their other training run (Fartlek, speed intervals, hills intervals, recovery, long runs etc)

AFM - In my furious posting last night at 2am, I totally forgot to mention that my boy and I had a really exciting conversation about the Warrior Dash last night. Turns out that his good friend + coworker is getting married the weekend before that (Aug 6) and we're committed as guests to that event. Looks like Aug is going to be a busy month. He and I are so excited to have a killer race with some of my MFP ladies and their S/O's, and hoping to make the after-party the MFP social event of the season :tongue: I know that Gonks and I are signed up, and that Cait you mentioned wanting to come and run with us or spectate since you're so close, and that Roo, Spellbinder, and a few others mentioned that they might join as well but I really can't remember. Who else is planning on or at least hoping to run the race? I'd love for us to have some kind of "group" or "team" thing going if we are all running in the same start time and corral :bigsmile: We still have to work out the logistics of travel, holiday time, accommodations and all that jazz (our budget is yet to be determined, especially since this wedding is going to drastically cut into our funds) but we are still really pumped to drive down, meet all you fine ladies (and gents, whoever comes!) and have an amazing weekend away! :drinker: OH and kick *kitten* at the race, of course!

This morning started off with a delicious bowl of Choco-Almond Blueberry Chia Yoatgurt. Yes - I actually throw all that stuff in my oatmeal. And devour it. Loads of To-Dos today and folks to catch up with. Going to try and figure out my race schedule for 2011, find a GP, get to the gym, do my laundry, care for my mother who is out of commission on account of her sciatica, and eat healthy all day long (no more than one artificial sweetener, which I am currently enjoying). Those are my goals for the day and I will not fail at them. It's been decided!

Have a great HUMP DAY, y'all! :heart:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Mike - Sorry to hear about your aunt :frown: Take this time to be with family and worry about MFP later. <<hugs>>