They forgot my birthday

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're your coworkers, not your friends. It totally sucks since they remember everyone else's bday, but hopefully the people that count will remember yours.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I left work a little early on my birthday. My wife said, "good, you can join me for grocery shopping." Oh, joy. Grocery shopping. Just what I wanted to do on my birthday. We talked about how our days had gone, how I had went to work with several of my coworkers, other mundane topics...but still no mention of my birthday. It wasn't until the ice cream aisle when I felt her head on my back and heard her mumble, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry...I completely forgot it was your birthday."

So yeah, at least your wife of many years didn't forget yours.

#notactuallybitter

#wouldbedivorcedifIhadforgottenhersthough

She shouldn't have admitted she forgot. I would have continued acting the same and then hastily threw something together later that evening like I had been planning it the whole time lol.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    that sucks...I always take the week of my birthday off.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! Birthdays are my favorite holiday. I love celebrating a person's exsistance. I'm sorry people at work forgot about it. In the end though, it's friends and family that really matter. Did your kid tell you happy birthday? Have you received facebook messages from friends and family? Work is work. While it is insincere that your boss wouldn't give you a long lunch, they are not the ones who should really matter. It is those close to you that really make birthdays. :happy:
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Happy_Birthday.gif

You get paid to be around them....Who cares if they forgot your birthday. You have a friend that took you to lunch and to me that would be WAY better than the forced celebration of a work "party".

Enjoy your birthday and don't give it, or them, a second thought.
  • sofulnaturalee
    sofulnaturalee Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try having a birthday 2 days before Christmas! No one ever remembers my birthday (except my awesome hubby). I get a call on Christmas Eve from my mom wishing me a late birthday and early Christmas. Even when I was little, no birthday celebration for me, my friends were all on vacation/with family. But honestly after 21, it's just another day anyways, nothing special IMO.

Happy Uterus Liberation Day though!

LOL. MIne is exactly a week from Christmas and I feel the same way. No b-day parties, no friends over, 1 present for the price of 2. YES!!!! I totally agree "just another day"
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy birthday to you to you
    Happy Happy birthday to you to you
    your good to grow so count the candles and blow
    happy happy birthday to you to you to you
    happy birthday happy birthday!
    If you have a toddler then you know this song (sprout tv)
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    My birthday was last Monday. My own mother still hasn't called me.

I'm_winning.gif

But that's ok, because you got lots of attention and all da affection from me. :)
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    HaPpY BiRtHdAY! Enjoy the day, I personally hate work birthday stuff...I take my birthday week as vacation and always spend most of the day treating myself to the spa and shopping. Alone.

Then I make my family take me somewhere nice for dinner. ;)
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The consistency is what ends up bugging me. The people who Can Do No Wrong™ (i.e. the kiss-*kitten* who suck up to the CEO but do very little actual work) get enormous birthday to-dos and the entire office is expected to go into the cafeteria and sing among the balloons and flowers and enormous cakes. Everyone else?

*crickets*

Forget my birthday if you wish, but perhaps forget everyone else's too. :P
  • gert1985
    gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would send myself a cheap bouquet of flowers or balloons to work and then when they arrive all your co-workers will feel poopy for forgetting :)
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would have been grateful they forgot mine... all my work does is buy you cupcakes, cookies, and a cookie cake. Like i need that... they buy it because they want to eat the junk. I've asked numerous times to have a veggie plate instead.... or nothing at all.

***my youngest sons birthday is 2 days before Christmas and we always have a special specific party for his birthday. We have had people show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper.... we kindly remind them that this is a birthday party while handing them birthday paper and showing them into the next room to rewrap the gift.
  • jc_0324
    Options
    Boy would I be pissed! Tell them to just give you your damn presents and forget about the rest! Then enjoy your day with your child.

I take my birthday off every year. I would rather be home with my cats.
  • jc_0324
    Options
    Also, is it possible that they don't recognize you with your face like that?

This!!

:bigsmile:
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Anytime you get screwed out of cake is a reason to be mad.

Happy Birthday!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Just for you...
    2014-09-22_12_11_12_zpsfzzqdiik.gif

well, ok, and any other mikkimeows who stumble across it.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    well I'm wishing you a a Happy Birthday! I feel your pain: the office my office is attached to hasn't acknowledged my bday yet and it was 8/12. Actually they haven't the 3 years i've been here. I just love hearing them sing to other staff members though. I'm not asking for gifts, cards or anything but a simple happy birthday. When a coworker of mine told them it was my bday this year they got the "oh crap we forgot again" look. Not only that, one of my closer friends forgot too. Whatever... don't eat your feelings, take it out on a punching bag. You'll feel a lot better!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I would have been grateful they forgot mine... all my work does is buy you cupcakes, cookies, and a cookie cake. Like i need that... they buy it because they want to eat the junk. I've asked numerous times to have a veggie plate instead.... or nothing at all.

***my youngest sons birthday is 2 days before Christmas and we always have a special specific party for his birthday. We have had people show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper.... we kindly remind them that this is a birthday party while handing them birthday paper and showing them into the next room to rewrap the gift.

Ummm. NO.

BTW - there are times that I wrap birthday presents in Christmas paper IN JULY. It's. Just. Paper.

BTW BTW - my eldest son's birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas. When people would show up with presents wrapped in Christmas paper, it never even occurred to me to care. My reaction was more wishing that he wouldn't rip it when he opened his gifts so that I could reuse it. He is now 20, and by all appearances is a nice and well adjusted young man. Perhaps it did no damage? Maybe I'll ask him, just to be sure that he's not scarred.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I used to work for an office that posted the dates of everyone's birthdays every month around the office (not just on the fridge). We had a birthday party once a month for all that month's birthdays, so it wasn't a matter of cake. It was that the people in my own department that I busted *kitten* for every day (not "that" way) didn't acknowledge my birthday, but someone in another department that I didn't even work with directly called me to wish me happy birthday. That actually made it better, so I hope that US remembering your birthday made it better for you. :heart:
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    eta: my boss remembered that she had forgotten two months later and my office had a party. Which was kind of fun actually. It was like a surprise birthday.
    I'd be down for silly belated birthday parties!

Otherwise, I dislike the forced work parties for individuals you don't always know very well. We had monthly/quarterly ones here for a long time, and then some killjoys complained that they didn't want people to know. When my day comes, I just make conversation by telling people it's my birthday, get my "happy birthday" and a discussion of where I can get free stuff, and move on.