Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness, S 27th St. in Milwaukee, WI

Like:
    open 24/7
    lots of cardio machines, so if I'm not picky about what TV program I'm watching there's no waiting
    cheap

Dislike:
    staff don't know about fitness, give bad advice, don't pay attention to customers
    bad part of town, I don't feel safe
    "music" is always loud - I've started bringing earplugs
    poorly maintained, both equipment & the overall facility (leaks in the roof, machines making strange noises, audio not working, shower drain backing up, hole in wall around showerhead)
    TV's not labelled with channels (there's a big sign on the back wall listing them, but why not put those labels on the TV?)
    lockers are too small for my gym bag unless I stand it on end, are short so my pants or coat hang on the floor
    difficult to get a lock onto the locker because of how the handle is designed
    cheap machines, esp. the weight machines
    not enough parking
    weight machines not in a logical order
    smells bad, needs more air conditioning

I'd like to go back to the Menomonee Falls location, but the manager made it clear that they videotape in the locker room, and insulted me.
    I'll be looking around for a new gym that's better.
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    -Plenty of equipment
    -Not too busy
    -I pay $50 a year

great gym!! I pay the same but mine only opens 6am-9pm :sad:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Only about 20 minutes away with ZERO traffic
    $21/month
    Open 12 a.m. - 9 p.m. M-F; 7-7 Sat & Sun

Dislikes:

Not enough weight plates
    Locker room/bathroom gets disgusting
    They just put cameras in. Not a big fan of that
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I like the hot chicks.
  • MrsWanland
    MrsWanland Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pros:

24/7 access
    Never very busy - I think the most I've seen is 5 people at one time
    Very close to home

Cons:

Next to a Dialysis Center and you just see people wheeled in and out on stretchers all day long...so sad :(
    Hardly ever staffed
    No classes offered
    There's a creepy lady that always stares at me lol
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Why? I would not like that either.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I never got on with the cheap gyms in the UK (True gym, Fit4Less, etc), poor staff, crap buildings, crap free weights section etc. Only got on with Nuffield, Virgin Active etc

Current gym (Leisure centre)

Pros:
    Loads of classes
    Swimming pool
    Good cardio equipment

Cons:
    Swimming pool - small main pool half of which are lanes, dive pool closes early, school swimming lessons
    Poor free weights section
    Poor layout and real small
    Children

New gym

Pros:
    Strength/conditioning/powerlifting/strongman gym
    Power racks
    Loads of weights
    Will actually go
    Everything is 'classes', all done as small group of 8, 'free gym' at weekends'

Cons:
    No pool
    Membership is £70 per month
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Why? I would not like that either.

I honestly have no idea why.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Likes: Very cheap. We actually get paid a few dollars after our insurance reimburses us if we each go at least 6 times a month.
    Like: The classes are free, Clean gym, I have 24 hour access, and it is in the same parking lot as my work (i work at a hospital)

Dislike: Wish we had a pool, hot tub, and sauna. Otherwise, I think that is all :)
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    very affordable
    Pool(s)
    Great classes
    Great cardio/strength machines
    Basketball court
    Child care
    Dislikes:
    Couple of classes I'd love to do ( aqua zumba, etc that are not offered yet)
    sometimes pool schedule
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    - full size track
    - some classes are included in membership
    - clean

Dislikes:
    - classes usually start too late for me
    - fitness area is kind of small
    - have to take certain classes to have access to kettle bells & barbells/plates :grumble:
    - there isn't always space available on the track
    - Kids classes take priority when they're up on the track (kids sports teams work with trainers, so I'm not allowed to use weights/equipment if they're up there, which I don't agree with, since I pay a membership)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    -affordable (I pay $30 a month)
    -easy to use machines/equipment
    -a women's-only section (the chain used to be only for women, but they built into what used to be Bally's and took on a lot of their old members)

Dislikes:
    -no wifi, so I'm stuck watching whatever's on the CBS or ABC stations if I'm not reading something (and it's even worse if I'm there when Dr. Oz is on!)
    -they're only open until 6 on the weekends (24 hours during the week), and I want some time to relax after work before I go in
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Gym: Golds

Likes: location, cost, fellow members, more than 1 squat rack (although only 3 total)

Dislikes: the only thing i can think of is that there is this stereotype about Golds and how only roid/meat heads go there. this is super far from the truth at least at my location and the times i've gone. there are definitely a lot more stronger dudes here than you'd find at planet fitness or some other crap gym, but everyone is busy focusing on their own lifts so who cares?
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Gym: Home Gym (Smith Machine that doubles as a regular squat rack and has cables for pull downs, triceps press, biceps curls, etc, olympic bar w/ 2.5/5/10/25/35/45# plates, multi-position bench, dumbells up to 40, curl bar, pull up/dip station, treadmill.)

Dislikes: Wife sometimes forgets to re-rack her weights
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I go to a very small local gym.

Clean
    Great staff, friendly clientele. Everybody knows my name - "NORM!"

Dislikes:
    No pool
    Limited classes
    A lot of the equipment is old and run down. You fight for the spin bikes that have seats (kidding ... sorta) BUT they're working on improving all that.

All things you would expect from a small, low budget, local gym. Works for me.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    People hate this but here it goes:

I know it's about vanity and attention seeking behavior, but.....yesterday I saw two; one girl with the tiny shirt to show abs and she was fixing her hair in the mirror and 'mirin for no less than 5 minutes....by the cable machine.; and one guy who was lean-ripped but he had on the stupidest looking shirt. I just wanted to rip it off him and wipe down my bench. It was cut so that it was basically an hourglass with a neck hole and some material to cover the lower waist. Just wear a frakking tank top. You will look less like a doofus.

Oh and when they throw the weights on the floor. Dude, what if that lands on my foot....I'm like three feet away from you, idiot!

And when people stand around, in the way when you need some space to work out. MOVE!

And the baaaaaad music.

But that's mostly the people. The gym is cool. I like it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Gym: Golds

Likes: location, cost, fellow members, more than 1 squat rack (although only 3 total)

Dislikes: the only thing i can think of is that there is this stereotype about Golds and how only roid/meat heads go there. this is super far from the truth at least at my location and the times i've gone. there are definitely a lot more stronger dudes here than you'd find at planet fitness or some other crap gym, but everyone is busy focusing on their own lifts so who cares?

Come to Howard Beach, you WILL see gorillas. But I still like Golds. I thought everyone would be a dou&he but so far, nothing but niceness.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Gym: Steve Nash

Pros:
    Very clean (insane clean team always working)
    Lots of cardio equipment
    2 squat racks (plenty for teh clientel)
    Lots of weight equpiment in the regular area
    Lots of weight equipment in the girls area

Cons:
    No squat rack in the girls area
    No pool
    Cardio equipment is a little old - the tredmills sometimes make some strange noises
    Treadmills facing a mirror so you basically can only watch football games or hockey games in mirror image (they are on the opposite wall)
    Cost: 40 a month

COmpared to the gym at my university this is a step down with the exception of squat racks in the regular gym (at university they wer ein a separate room in the basement) but I really like it.
    Staff dont bother you unless you ask for help

And thus far no creepers or irritants
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I go to Retro Fitness:

Cheap
    A lot of lifting equipment
    Suits my needs

Dislikes (in general):

People not minding their own business and focusing on their own workout. If I feel like flexing in the mirror, that's my prerogative. I do wut I want. :smokin: