St Patty's Day Challenge - January 2011 Thread

Options

Replies

• poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was reading up on Kiwi's they are supposed to be really good for you. the same vit c as an orange,

now I have to look up a bacon avocado.
  • velvetechos
    Options
    ALRIGHT!!! :)

We're on day three of our challenge, and two days from weigh in day!

I'm really proud of all of you that have been reporting in on the challenge.

We've had a lot of new people (Welcome!! :) ) checking in since this new board started, so I wanted to do a quick role call. In the past I'd update the roster, and then people never returned.

So everyone that checks the board between now and Friday, let us know you're still here!

Midweek is a big struggle day/energy slump day. How do you guys cope with this? Any tips?
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Im here *raising hand* :smile:
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    me too! me too!!!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yep, still here
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm still here.. still 209 so far.
    I hear ya on the mid-week slump. I'm headed to the gym to run 5 miles then off to belly dancing class, but all I really want to do go home and go to bed! hahaha
    I'm just going to drag my butt thru it. Maybe drink a cup of coffee between the gym and dance class.
  • poeticpurl
    Options
    I am here. This week has gone by fast for me.

I want to belly dance it sounds like fun!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Could it BE!? Could i REALLY have found a "home" here on MFP?? Ive been a member for over a year, but never joined a challenge or group, but I happened to see this title and hopped inside to see who was around. It seems like SOOO many of you have the same weight/goal as I do, and it would be a huge help if you'd let me join in your fun :)

Im Kathleen, 31
    SW: 175.6
    CW: 173.6
    goal: comfortable in a bathing suit when we get to the Dominican Republic on 3/16....so 150s would be outstanding, but Im hoping for low 160s realistically.

I, too, start out strong and then faaaade or get discouraged when the scale doesnt move as quickly as it did when I was younger. I am 5'9"+ (maybe 5'10"?) and people always say "You can gain 15 lbs and no one even notices!", but *I* notice and it drives me INSANE when I have to go to the size 14s and 16s in my closet when I was wearing size 8 and 10 just last year. :( This weight crept up on me FAST, and I know how to lose it...i just need to buckle down and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

So far, I am sticking to my 1500 calories (per my friend who is a dietician) plus eating most of my exercise calories. Do yall do that, too? I am working out everyday (well, this is my first week back on track, so my PLAn is to workout 6 days per week). I dont feel like Ive had a successful workout unless Ive burned more than 300 calories, so my new-found love for the Xbox Kinect has really helped me not get bored.

What kinds of exercises do you like the most? Favorite snack foods? Help me get to know you better :)

Im a stay-at-home-mom to 20 month old daughter so I try to log everything/chat on here while she naps. Hoping you guys dont mind me hopping in :)
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    way to go hitting the belly dancing class and running, I totally didnt want to go today but felt so much better after I did!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Kiwi s one of my favorites; when I was pregnant I ate one a day for two months straight, lol.

Tomorrow I'm trying a "bacon avocado"

I'm a huge haas avocado fan, never tried a bacon avocado though!

BACON avocado? :noway: Hah. EVERYTHING is better with bacon. How was it?

I bought some sweet potatoes today. I've always maintained that I hate them. But maybe with a new recipe I won't? I also found a nifty brussel sprout recipe that I'm going to try this week for the same reason.
  • poeticpurl
    Options
    Kiwi s one of my favorites; when I was pregnant I ate one a day for two months straight, lol.

Tomorrow I'm trying a "bacon avocado"

I'm a huge haas avocado fan, never tried a bacon avocado though!

BACON avocado? :noway: Hah. EVERYTHING is better with bacon. How was it?

I bought some sweet potatoes today. I've always maintained that I hate them. But maybe with a new recipe I won't? I also found a nifty brussel sprout recipe that I'm going to try this week for the same reason.

I love sliced sweet potatoes that are baked. Like a thick french fry. Or mashed potatoes with a mix of white and sweet.
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    still here
    today's new veg was light red kidney beans
    rice,mix veg, lt kidney beans, salsa, diced tomato w/ green chillies all mixed together
    with a side of fat free refried beans and a dash of sour cream (couldnt resist)
    it made a huge pot so ill be freezing some hope it taste as yummy next time.
  • poeticpurl
    Options
    still here
    today's new veg was light red kidney beans
    rice,mix veg, lt kidney beans, salsa, diced tomato w/ green chillies all mixed together
    with a side of fat free refried beans and a dash of sour cream (couldnt resist)
    it made a huge pot so ill be freezing some hope it taste as yummy next time.

Sounds yummy. I always think sour cream makes everything taste better.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    agreed re: the sour cream....and that is one of those products that is VERY obvious when ya try to go the "low fat" version. yuck! Gimme the real deal or none at all!

Baked sweet potato wedges sound great. Might have to try that!

I did my normal workout (Biggest Loser game on Kinect) yesterday, but it was the yoga day, and I just cant get into it. Yoga burns hardly any calories for me, and while Im sure its stretching and "lengthening" me, I just dont enjoy it. So when Hubby came home, we had an all out WAR playing boxing, table tennis, and track and field on the kinect for an hour. Soo fun, and I burned 616 calories in that hour....and a month ago, i wouldve been sitting on the couch watching House Hunters or staring at Facebook. So Im excited to already see myself making positive changes :) (Even if I ate a lot yesterday....)
  • FattieBeGone
    FattieBeGone Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've never joined a challenge like this before but, here goes. I figure this one is a good one to join since I'm Irish. Though we say St . Paddy's Day over here. :smile:
    Anyway, I want to have lost 15lbs by Patty's Day! I think this is a realistic goal for me.
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    I did my normal workout (Biggest Loser game on Kinect) yesterday, but it was the yoga day, and I just cant get into it. Yoga burns hardly any calories for me, and while Im sure its stretching and "lengthening" me, I just dont enjoy it. So when Hubby came home, we had an all out WAR playing boxing, table tennis, and track and field on the kinect for an hour. Soo fun, and I burned 616 calories in that hour....and a month ago, i wouldve been sitting on the couch watching House Hunters or staring at Facebook. So Im excited to already see myself making positive changes :) (Even if I ate a lot yesterday....)

Good job! Im suppose to try a Yoga class this week. Ive tried Yoga several times and I just cant get into it. I figured I would give it another chance and then decide from there. Congrats on getting off the couch & moving!
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've gone to several yoga classes at 24 hour fitness, and the key is definately the teacher. When you find the right one, you will love yoga!
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just entered to Get Healthy Texas 5k run on January 22nd anyone here from the north Texas area that wants to join me?
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So... I hear sweet potatoes are jam packed with nutrients like beta kerotene. I hear these bright orange veggies are what our bodies are really telling us they need when we crave cheesy doritos, cheesies and all those radioactive orange snack foods the junk food drug dealers have so cleverly made that colour... But like many people I don't enjoy the texture of mashed sweet potato and I'm trying not to eat any kind of fries, including sweet potato fries. SO! I was happy to find a recipe for a low fat corn and sweet potato chowder. It was really yummy and my family liked it too. My more-naturally healthy husband reheated it tonight adding broccoli and said it was delicious lke that too. I'm not sure if this is the place to post recipes though? If you want the recipe add me as a friend and I'll send it in a message. I'll call the sweet potato my new veggie in this form. As for the exercise challenge... I did get back in the gym today for the first time this year. I'm hoping to join a yoga class I hear is good next Wednesday night. I've been walking places every day and the car is mostly staying in the driveway. I'm lucky to live in a place where I can safely be a pedestrian if I choose.
    2040688.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    just posting my weigh in I'm at 211 yeah I've lost another couple of pounds. I have been doing really well with the food, but it has been really hard lately to make myself do the exercise. I am not sure why. I just need to make myself do it