Why do women wear tank tops to the gym more than men?

Options
I couldn't help but notice that at all gyms I've been to the women are more likely to be found with sleeveless shirts showing their arms and shoulders than men are. Typically you would think that arms are something that men are more likely to show off rather than women. Are women really that proud of showing off their arms?
Then another idea came to me as I was trying to get an armpit stain out of some of my workout shirts. Maybe they just don't want to deal with pit stains in their clothes and it has nothing to do with showing off their arm muscles.

Replies

• yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the gym to show off, i'm at the gym to work out...

I wear t-shirts because they wick away more sweat.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    rumsfeld.gif
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I like wearing tanks because I hate feeling uncomfortable when I'm hot. If I have sleeves and I'm sweating, I'll try to hike the sleeves all the way up to the shoulders, which feels too bunchy and annoying. On the days where I forgot to shave my pits, I'll wear sleeves and all I'l be thinking is WTF COULDN'T YOU JUST TAKE FIVE MINUTES TO SHAVE lol.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    rumsfeld.gif
    you make me giggle several to many days a week.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Easier to feel the gym's AC on bare arms?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Because guys wearing tank tops in the gym was popular in the 80's...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice that at all gyms I've been to the women are more likely to be found with sleeveless shirts showing their arms and shoulders than men are.

Concern trolling. Classy.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Because going topless like a lot of guys do is generally frowned upon because of certain frontal accessories.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I probably do it for the attention.

I mean, they have those catwalk-machines there right?

http://floraiyeo.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Heelathon-250933-1024x768.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    How else am I going to see if I suddenly develop muscles?!?
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    In our gym, more guys wear tank tops as far as i can tell. Will give me something to count now while i am resting between sets lol.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Because going topless like a lot of guys do is generally frowned upon because of certain frontal accessories.

My HRM strap and monitor? Those prudes.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    On this day, I shall venture forth and buy a tank top and wear it to the gym as an ode to MrBiggiesworth. Also, perhaps because we are inside, there is not sufficient amounts of sun to bring those guns out?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the gym to show off, i'm at the gym to work out...

I wear t-shirts because they wick away more sweat.

I'm not at the gym to show off, I'm at the gym to workout...

I wear tank tops because I hate the feeling of wet tshirts under the arms.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Women are more likely to wear a tank top out of the gym too.

I find them more comfortable, especially when the ac at my gym is pathetic.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Women are far more likely to be attention *kitten*, that's why.

Really? haaaaave you met bros?

Srsly, that's just the workout clothes for women. If I could find a non-cotton t-shirt, not in pink or orange or some other hideous gaudy pattern, that doesn't cost a days pay, I would by 200 of them.
    But as it stands the selection is mostly tank tops.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I wear tanks when it's hot, the gym is stuffy and not all the machines have fans on them. Besides I am working hard to get my arms in good shape, not so much trying to show them off as much as just not ashamed of them any longer. Why hide them?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I mostly wear short sleeved wicking t-shirts in black. I am clearly a ninja and a bloke.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,620 Member
    Options
    I carry my gym gear in my work handbag. A tank top and synthetic shorts take up very little room in my handbag.
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hate having to move my sleeves to get to my MP3 arm band, I sweat like crazy so tanks are best for me, I don't care what people wear.... I am there to worry about my workout! ????